Shutting down Acidplanet.com

Comments

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/23/2018, 10:42 AM

so the AP archives are being wiped to comply with EU privacy legislation?

That's ridiculous.

Former user wrote on 5/23/2018, 10:51 AM

Mathius, there are many artist with 20 years or more of songs on acidplanet, why the limitation of uploading songs? can you not set up a temporary server to allow ap'ers to transfer their music over to Magix?

dj_doughy wrote on 5/23/2018, 12:47 PM

so the AP archives are being wiped to comply with EU privacy legislation?

That's ridiculous.

From a business standpoint it really isnt. It seems like sony didnt care to get documentation on how the site worked, and just let it rot with minimal update. The infrastructure is so out of date it would take more money and resources to overhaul than i think magix could handle. With the latest legislation, it needs to be fixed or removed by the deadline, and magix did the most cost effective move. This is all speculation though, as sucky as it is.

Mathius, there are many artist with 20 years or more of songs on acidplanet, why the limitation of uploading songs? can you not set up a temporary server to allow ap'ers to transfer their music over to Magix?

It would be awesome to just lock down the site, no more uploads no new users. Music is only available to current registered users....

MitchSoul wrote on 5/23/2018, 7:27 PM

This is very sad. Acidplanet will be missed. Been a member for 16 years. How do I archive all songs that I have currently on Acidplanet?

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/23/2018, 7:41 PM

This is very sad. Acidplanet will be missed. Been a member for 16 years. How do I archive all songs that I have currently on Acidplanet?

"as fast as you can".

Hurry, save each of them one by one.

(someone on the first page of this thread posted a powershell script but that assumes you have Windows 10 and etc etc)

(this would be so much easier if we were being given until june 15)

(sigh)

MitchSoul wrote on 5/23/2018, 7:56 PM

"as fast as you can".

(someone on the first page of this thread posted a powershell script but that assumes you have Windows 10 and etc etc)

(sigh)

I Have Windows 7,I do not have Windows 10.

dj_doughy wrote on 5/23/2018, 9:08 PM

"as fast as you can".

(sigh)

I Have Windows 7,I do not have Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54616

Download this and try it

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/23/2018, 10:25 PM

yeah, but there's a learning curve...

anyway, I'm not working tomorrow, so I'll spend a few hours grabbing all the contest winners, etc

(already finished A)

todd-tuskey wrote on 5/23/2018, 11:03 PM

Even though I haven't posted any songs or videos in three years or so, I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me sad to see the demise of Acid Planet. (My user name over there was/is Annanova, btw).

I had so much fun with the 2008/2009 Halloween Original Song contests, those were just a blast. I actually managed one overall #1 back then, with "She Used to be a MILF, Now She's a Zombie".

I'm getting back into the swing of things and will have to check out this site.

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 5/24/2018, 4:04 AM

Why no migration?

That actually would be a huge amount of work (migration, converting, etc). Even I can't comprehend this to the fullest extend because I'm not a developer.

Why the upload limitation?

Even if you are creating an album, 35 songs per week is plenty. The limitation is there to support progessive music creation and not to "dump" lots of songs. What I mean most likely looks like this:

Create a song → Upload → Get feedback / talk with others about the song → Adapt → Create another song

This helps the musician and creates a better user experience for others who don't want to be "flooded" by one kind of music style or artist.

It would be awesome to just lock down the site, no more uploads no new users. Music is only available to current registered users....

As far as I understood, even then, the website would not comply with the GDPR.

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 6:35 AM

I know it’s a tough call to comprehend the magnitude of such a transfer of large files, the bottom line is that we had a current artist platform called Acidplanet which hosts our music and has spanned a couple of decades, it’s a lifetime for Acidplanet artists Mathius, even in its current state, would it be possible to link or merge acidplanet with Magix, I suppose in the end it’s all down to costing and using all your resources which would be limited? When I communicated with you previously, you said you would love to work with acidplanet, why the change of heart? If Acidplanet was left alone as it is, would that be possible? Thanks for responding Mathius, much appreciated. looks like this is my new place for now?

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 5/24/2018, 7:09 AM

[...] I suppose in the end it’s all down to costing and using all your resources which would be limited? When I communicated with you previously, you said you would love to work with acidplanet, why the change of heart? If Acidplanet was left alone as it is, would that be possible? Thanks for responding Mathius, much appreciated. looks like this is my new place for now?

Also, we would have a split communitiy on different platforms. I didn't have much influence on this decision. So, I would not say that this is a change of heart.

I know that acidplanet is something special for each and every one of you. Regardless of the platform coming to an end, the community behind that won't vanish in an instance. This is why I still want to work with you as a community, here!

Please don't change the subject within a thread. I will create a specific thread for that topic: https://www.magix.info/us/forum/what-are-your-thoughts-on-remix-contests--1206389/

Noradr3nlin wrote on 5/24/2018, 7:16 AM

Sony took something great and ran with it it but eventually it was like oh look something shiny and lost interest. Then of course Magix comes to the rescue or does it? I mean we appreciate having an opportunity to salvage our work however why destroy the one thing that worked? Personally I think I think this is a glaring opportunity to reserect something great. There's enough of us old planeteers here to take care of business as far as running a community. All we need is a little bandwidth and some love. We'l make it work.

AcidPlanet was a phenominia which in my experience has unfortunetly never been repeated.

Its actually worth saving and is a templete for a great Music driven community that actually works. There is litrally nothing like it anymore.

robertNC wrote on 5/24/2018, 7:38 AM

I can't even access my Acid Planet account, so good riddance😀

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 3:16 PM

Nora is right, you will never ever find a site like Acidplanet, many other music sites died many years ago when Acidplanet continued to thrive. Instead of killing Acidplanet, why don't you ask the higher up folk at Magix to come up with options?

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 3:19 PM

How much would it cost to operate and leave acidplanet as it is in its current state? That would be a great gift from Magix, ask them to offer us some bandwidth to keep Acidplanet alive.

dj_doughy wrote on 5/24/2018, 3:29 PM

How much would it cost to operate and leave acidplanet as it is in its current state? That would be a great gift from Magix, ask them to offer us some bandwidth to keep Acidplanet alive.

I dont think its a matter of price, its a matter or legislation and privacy

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 3:40 PM

I'm gutted..................

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 3:55 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H7i4jVRcd-xR-cDQtP7uoLfaFLzphhLT/view?usp=sh

Here is a link to the first version of the script that can scrape the music from yours or others artist page on ACIDplanet.com

READ THIS PLEASE:
THIS IS ONLY TESTED ON WINDOWS 10 WITH POWERSHELL

If you have an up to date computer with Windows 10, you will have powershell on it!

How to use:
Save the file to your desktop!
Right-click the file and Run with Powershell
Paste the FULL artist page url when prompted
Download will begin, files will be located in your C:\ drive under AcidFiles\Songs
THIS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Once it is done, you will see the PS prompt. You can close Powershell then.

DONATE TO MY COWORKER WHO PUT SOME SOLID TIME INTO THIS WITH ME : https://paypal.me/cubebox

If you get an error saying “Running scripts is disabled on this system”, please do the following:

- Click on start, and type "Powershell"
  - Right click the Windows Powershell app and "Run as administrator"
  - type in the following command (sans quotes)
  "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted"
  - Click "Yes to all", then close that command window

THERE ARE SOME LIMITATIONS TO THIS SCRIPT, PLEASE READ THIS!

- It can only grab "G" rated music, as I haven't figured out how to authenticate a session with the script
- As far as I know, it only grabs the "Play" version of the songs
-All of the files downloaded will be numbered, however the metadata contains the song names and descriptions. There are free software out there that can pull this info, and batch rename your files! Google it!

Sorry for the rough nature of this file, there might be some errors that pop up, but be patient, if you check the working folder of C:\AcidFiles you will see it working, and when the BITS downloading begins, check the Songs folder, you will see files appear.

Thanks I only had seven songs on acidplanet, but your script did work for me and it took one minute to download all songs to a folder on my C drive, cheers. I have windows 10.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/24/2018, 4:00 PM

I dont think its a matter of price, its a matter or legislation and privacy

you know all e-mails you 've been getting about "we want to make sure we respect your privacy", in accordance with new european legislation?

if Magix doesn't ask everyone "can we keep your data on file", they risk being fined hugely.

but Sony didn't keep proper track. So it's impossible to do what they're legally required to do

so if they don't delete everything, they face - potentially - legal punishment.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/24/2018, 4:38 PM

Incidentally, will the site be wiped in a) 90 minutes, or b) 24 hours + 90 minutes?

midnight at the beginning of the 25th, or at the end?

(guess I'll find out)

(got 11GB stored in my Acidplanet folder, and reasonably anticipate getting to 12 before midnight Germany)

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 4:43 PM

I have been taking screenshots of various pages at acidplanet for future viewing.

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 4:49 PM

Acidplanet.com deleted in 1 hour 12 minutes uk time or usa time, all the songs, community posts, remix contests, totally destroyed. rips my heart out RIP.

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 8:40 PM

Mathius the problem is that Magix will never be like Acidplanet especially its community of well respected artists who shared each others skills and ideas and grew together over the last two decades, to start all over again?, its just not there, Magix executives had a phenomenal platform to host new remix contests, upgrade the site, promote its own products on a site that has been well established since 1998. I will post new music on this site eventually, but I am now a total stranger to the Magix community. It would take a monumental task to get everyone from acidplanet to join Magix and have that same atmosphere and soul we once had at acidplanet.