Shutting down Acidplanet.com

Comments

Prophets_of_Conviction wrote on 5/24/2018, 9:38 PM

Good news! I have a functional (yet messy) powershell script that can pull data from an artist page and download all the music from that page (i think both download links and play links). Going to add a few prompts to make it easier for the end user.

I just used this script, works like a charm. Thanks much dj.

Prophets_of_Conviction wrote on 5/24/2018, 9:41 PM

Mathius the problem is that Magix will never be like Acidplanet especially its community of well respected artists who shared each others skills and ideas and grew together over the last two decades, to start all over again?, its just not there, Magix executives had a phenomenal platform to host new remix contests, upgrade the site, promote its own products on a site that has been well established since 1998. I will post new music on this site eventually, but I am now a total stranger to the Magix community. It would take a monumental task to get everyone from acidplanet to join Magix and have that same atmosphere and soul we once had at acidplanet.

AP isn't even like AP any more. There are pockets of us who have remained friends over the years. Your right we will mevrr get back what we got from AP.

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 5:27 AM

There are tons of guys from acidplanet who are in a forum group at Facebook. FantaC organised and created the forum, there were invites recently in the acidplanet community lounge.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/25/2018, 9:21 AM

... and it's gone, 10AM Eastern time. I'm a bit surprised that the domain name hasn't been redirected here, to be honest.

I've salvaged all* the contest-winners/runners-up, everything* on the first 12 pages of the recent top-rated chart, everything* on the first 164 1/2 pages of the all-time top-rated chart, and some other stuff that seemed interesting. I was slowed down in downloading by my decision to give each file a proper name, because not all of them actually included internal metadata, and it'd be annoying as hell to have a ton of (random number).mp3 and not know who or what they are. Dealing with song/artist names that included characters that could not be represented in filenames slowed me down to the point that without them, I could probably have gotten another 30-40 pages of the chart (which had 1358 pages, 10 entries each). Also there was an annoying little idiocy because I couldn't remember how to quickly copy a songname into the 'save as' field - figuring that out took time in which I could have probably saved another 30 pages. At some points, I saved lyrics also (another 10 pages of the chart).

Plus, of course, I slept, and did some paying work for clients, and did chores, went for a walk, etc.

Folder:Acid Planet has 16.7 GB of music; I'll see if I can make this available somehow.

Last song I saved was "Muzik Humpty style" by "Charlie Brown aka CB", with 170 listens, Genre: Experimental, Date Added: 05.10.04, Rating: G, Score: 92

First song to give a download error was "Nowhere To Run by stefanie K" (1409 listens, Genre: Rock, Date Added: 12.15.07, Rating: G, Score: 92); also was unable to obtain "Awakening II - The Mor'Shadan by .:Black Ice 9:." or "Taxi Cab by Mebane", or indeed anything on the following pages.

* for "all" and "everything" , read "entries that were listed, had not been removed, and did not have 'download' disabled".

tyzoid wrote on 5/25/2018, 9:35 AM

Archiveteam was able to save ~700gigs of data prior to the shutdown. Not sure what all we've got, but it didn't complete in time, and it's likely only got the stuff with download enabled: https://archive.fart.website/archivebot/viewer/job/7ljds

If you want to help go through some of the data and categorize / otherwise process it, that would be much appreciated.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/25/2018, 9:38 AM

Oh dear. Hope we didn't duplicate each other's efforts.

tyzoid wrote on 5/25/2018, 9:43 AM

Danny-in-Canada: No, we did not prioritize any artists/ranks in our archive, so it's possible that you've got a few things we don't.

If you've got any questions, feel free to reach out to me on IRC. I'm tyzoid on EFNet (where #archiveteam resides), Freenode, and SynIRC.

EnochtheRad wrote on 5/25/2018, 10:19 AM

I read something about an archive team, getting 700gb saved, that's cool! I downloaded 90% of the 5.1 surround chart that was downloadable, some of my faves like Nancy G Firefly, Rotu, Kenfusion, Tim West, Sirenica, Enoch the Rad, the all time top 40, top 40 of guitarRock.

FantaC-Electronica wrote on 5/25/2018, 11:11 AM

I'd be interested in any archiving that people have done. I managed to archive a bit over 100gb, sorted into artist folders along with the song list and artist descriptions

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/25/2018, 11:39 AM

last entries on the "recent uploads" box:

"2018 I'll always remember", by jen11_ryan [really]

"Leaving Orbit" by ITCHYPHOX

"Uncharted" by the project Ixix

"Innyo", by NUKE NUKE

"Avril Lavigne - Innocence ... {rest of name lost}", by Raindrop

"This Earth, This Ship of F... {rest of name lost, presumably 'Fools'}", by Nehama

"Snowfall", by Andy M / DJ Kenneth A

""!!!!PUMP IT UP!!!!!""", by Emitters

"Flying Machines w/Mark Moffre", by kiss the sky

and

"Another Girl, Another Planet!", by emperor jones.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/25/2018, 11:44 AM

the last page that I had open.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/25/2018, 12:14 PM

last artist profile I had open

FantaC-Electronica wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:36 PM

the last ever post in the forums

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:42 PM

acidplanet remix contests

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:46 PM

I created this song back in 2002, wow long time ago, getting old.

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:49 PM

The last time I looked at the charts.

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 2:01 PM

I was a winning finalist back in 2001 Boz Scaggs contest, I still have his cd album autographed.

I believe this contest for the first time allowed all residents to participate as I being a UK resident sent an email to Dave Hollinden Chief/Head of acidplanet, lovely guy, to complain that it was unfair just to allow only US residents only.

JohnZSmith wrote on 5/25/2018, 4:02 PM

Dear MAGIX_Redaktion

As both a long-term user of your software (since 2000) and a long-term participant of the ACIDplanet.com website (since 2002), I would like to express my disappointment at the manner in which you have closed down the ACIDplanet.com website.

I put it to you that to change the deadline date of shutdown - announcing it first as May 28 then extending it to June 15 but then then bringing it forward to May 25 with less than two days notice - was 'mean-spirited'. Many of the community, and I include myself in that, were desperately attempting to salvage both their and favourite others' musical catalogues for posterity.

Whilst acknowledging that Magix, having become the owners of that unparalleled archive through commercial and legal arrangements which the ACIDplanet.com community are not party to, have the unequivocal right to do whatever you want with the site, I believe you have missed a great opportunity to promote amateur music.

Thank you

John Duffin aka Duffers

emperor jones/emperor jones and the innocents/the ULTRAJOHNS/John Z Smith

ITCHYPHOX wrote on 5/25/2018, 4:30 PM

8(

dj_doughy wrote on 5/25/2018, 5:00 PM

Dear MAGIX_Redaktion

As both a long-term user of your software (since 2000) and a long-term participant of the ACIDplanet.com website (since 2002), I would like to express my disappointment at the manner in which you have closed down the ACIDplanet.com website.

I put it to you that to change the deadline date of shutdown - announcing it first as May 28 then extending it to June 15 but then then bringing it forward to May 25 with less than two days notice - was 'mean-spirited'. Many of the community, and I include myself in that, were desperately attempting to salvage both their and favourite others' musical catalogues for posterity.

Whilst acknowledging that Magix, having become the owners of that unparalleled archive through commercial and legal arrangements which the ACIDplanet.com community are not party to, have the unequivocal right to do whatever you want with the site, I believe you have missed a great opportunity to promote amateur music.

Thank you

John Duffin aka Duffers

emperor jones/emperor jones and the innocents/the ULTRAJOHNS/John Z Smith

As much as it sucks, it was a matter of legality and deadlines. I believe Magix did what they could in the amount of time given to them because of the GDPR and its new privacy laws, which is why they couldn't keep the stretch to the 15th without incurring penalty fines. Even though its only for the EU nations, websites all over the world are affected because of users on their sites from the EU nations. I think if this GDPR wasnt going thru, they would have kept it open longer. Cut them some slack

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 5:16 PM

We are all upset that Acidplanet has gone for good, and trying to comprehend such a shock to us all more so the fact that I too was a member way back in 1999, it hurts like hell to all of us guys, but I have decided to move on and have posted my first piece on Magix and checked out some of the music here and got instant feedback on my piece, I love their media player and many of us from acidplanet can offer some feedback and ideas as a way of inheriting the old acidplanet's community and spirit into Magix.

tyzoid_ wrote on 5/25/2018, 5:19 PM

Alright, created another account because magix community forum can't save an email address with a '+' in it to the database.

I've put together a file drop here, so you can upload things you've saved: https://cloud.tyzoid.com/s/iYwRW4soqBFyjHp

Eventually, I'm going to try to compile these together into a project that we can sort through it. If anyone wants to participate, please join me in #acidrain on EFNet.

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 5/25/2018, 6:19 PM

the most annoying thing, I suppose, is that the shutdown was announced so late. If we'd been told in April that the site would be shut down and wiped on May 25, then it's likely that every last mp3, asf, and wma would have been saved by now, along with all pertinent metadata.

(I surprised myself by being able to identify one completely tagless mp3 based on the fact that it was a cover of "Seven Nation Army", plus Google Cache of the site and some rummaging to pick out the artist, but I've still got dozens of songs that will probably never be identified.)

JohnZSmith wrote on 5/26/2018, 12:46 AM

Fair enough I guess. Being here in Oz, I wasn't fully aware of this thing called the GDPR. Thanks for your explanation.