Feedback about VIDEO PRO X15

Comments

browj2 wrote on 1/12/2024, 12:09 PM

@MAGIX_Redaktion

Given this discussion about OFX, it would be helpful to know Magix' position on the compliance of VPX with OFX standards and why certain OFX, like Boris Particle Illusion and Continuum cannot be used with VPX.

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

Aha - we now know your name.

Magix has positioned Vegas as the Pro editor, followed by VPX, then MMS. However, there are differences in editing abilities that are somewhat surprising, meaning lacking in Vegas.

You shouldn't get me started, but, I could not use Vegas as my main editor, starting with the simple fact that Vegas has only one timeline. I use multiple timelines (Movies) in almost every project that I do and the reasons vary. I am surprised that Vegas does not have this.

Nesting tracks has been around since before Magix.

I'm not sure about that. I can only go back as far as VPX6 which had nesting. See page 91 of the manual. Page 104 in VPX7. Nesting in VPX is simply taking one of the other Movies and dragging it from the Project Temp Folder onto the timeline of another Movie within the project. Vegas only has nesting of projects that are not in the project. If you want to adjust something, you have to open that project in another instance. With VPX, just switch to the other Movie, adjust it, and the nested one is updated automatically. Also with VPX, Movies can be exported and imported. Projects can be imported as separate Movies in a project - Vegas cannot do this.

You are right about VPX not having support for some high-end cameras, like Red. I believe that there is a cost to this, is there not, and that could be the reason. Still, we could pay extra to have access.

However, Magix VPX beat out everyone with the introduction of:

HEVC/H.265* support -  Video Pro X is the world's first video editing program with Intel HEVC hardware encoding. HEVC/ H.265* is the successor format to H.264 and offers improved image quality at file sizes that are up to 43% smaller

Not having multiple timelines is a show-stopper for me. There are many other reasons why I would not use Vegas as my principal editor even though Vegas has some nice features that I would love to have in VPX.

Features in VPX that I use regularly other than multiple movies that I would miss:

• Access to external photo editor (yes, Vegas has Vegas Image, but that is not part of the program either, requiring Post). I have and use PaintShop Pro as my external photo editor. I think that most users have this or PhotoShop.
  • Travel Maps
  • Object and Edit Trimmers
    • Vegas has no simple way to make frame accurate fades - recent discussion on the Vegas forum
    • Transitions in Vegas are weird - there was a recent thread on this - when creating a transition on 2 untrimmed clips, Vegas creates a still image of the last frame of the left clip to make the overlap - most undesirable as the default
    • See the trimmers in VPX if you have never used them (or see my tutorials) - frame level editing of fades and transitions, including first frame, last frame images, etc.
  • Coloured tracks - Vegas only colours all objects on the track with the colour, not the track
  • Coloured objects - separate from coloured tracks
  • Snap markers
  • Volume curve on audio objects as well as on tracks - Vegas only has track level volume envelopes, although moving an event moves the volume envelope with it (somewhat strange).
  • Zoom in and out of the Preview Monitor window - Vegas only recently introduced zooming in, no zooming out
  • Wizard - Sound Track Maker (this uses a built-in version of Music Maker and I have asked Magix to update this to use the new Song Maker available with the latest Music Maker - much more powerful, allowing use of any Soundpools available on the system)
  • Wizard - Slideshow Maker with background music adjusted to length of the slideshow (no music comes with Vegas)
  • Movie Templates - often I just use the music and maybe title or graphics
  • Templates – there are many, including templates for Titles, Transitions, Movie & Editing, Intros/Outros, Themepacks, Movie Looks, Collages, Design Elements and Image Objects. Yes, Vegas has many for Titles and Transitions, but that is about all.
  • Titles - change colours of letters/words in the same title, Vegas cannot. In VPX, I (and templates) often have different lines of text with different colours. Vegas can keyframe colour changes of text, but all text is the same colour. Vegas can handle multiple columns of text, VPX cannot (would be nice to have).
  • Builtin DVD/BR creator with templates.
  • 3D Title Maker
  • Just having multiple tracks available without have to insert more

There are more reasons, but that is enough.

Notice that I have not mentioned effects such as compositing modes (limited in VPX, extensive in Vegas) and plugins. Vegas has access to more plugins than VPX, but these are not part of the main program, with the exception of composite modes in Vegas; VPX needs a plugin for this (who has ever used Divide in a composite mode for videos?).

OFX

As for OFX, VPX has had this feature since before 11 but after 7. I am missing the manuals from VPX8 through 10. In VPX11, "The interfaces of the OFX plug-in video effects have been completely redesigned and are now much more user-friendly." So, Magix introduced OFX prior to VPX11.

As for VPX not being fully-compliant, even after the comments from Boris, I still maintain that it is possible that VPX does not have some features that certain Boris effects need. The question should be put to Magix.

Note the caveat from Boris that I mentioned "...we develop our software to align with the official OFX API, which it does in the OFX hosts that we support such as Vegas Pro, Nuke, Resolve etc,..." Why just "hosts that we support?" I that the answer is:

...I would absolutely say that Continuum is fully OFX compliant, but the reality is that every plugin<->host pairing requires significant custom tuning."

I have NewBlue and Hitfilm OFX effects that work in both VPX and MMS, along with BCC Titler Pro. However, there is a major bug with the Hitfilm OFX that have X and Y parameters. Keyframe them causes one or the other to go to infinity - grrrr - on my Bug List.

I should add a list of what features from Vegas that I would like to see in VPX. After all, Magix is always looking to add features in order to justify selling new versions. I have posted a wish list on the forum - needs updating. As well, we were asked recently what we improvements/new features we would like to see with VPX.

@CubeAce

Hi Ray,

Abilities have been taken away from Both MMS and VPX over last generations

You have mentioned this before and I'll question you again. Do you have any specific examples?

All I know of are some templates that got dropped but are still available if you know how to reactivate them. I do not know of any features or tools that have been dropped. Some of the tools may have been changed, like SPR, but nothing was dropped; features were added.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

browj2 wrote on 1/12/2024, 1:42 PM

@Reyfox

Hi,

Further to the above and as per your question, not necessarily a complete list, but the Store has plugins for VPX, most of which are OFX, that work with VPX. Vasco da Gama is not one of them but is a standalone and the current version is 17, not 11.

I don't have the Continuum Chroma Key Studio, but I am assuming that it is OFX.

It would be nice to have a full list from Magix.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

CubeAce wrote on 1/12/2024, 4:33 PM

@browj2

Hi John.

The program can no longer imports ogg or wma files as well as not having access to the main concept encoder any more. The main concept encoder gave me good quality encoding and the ability to set a higher audio bit rate. What bugs me most though is that VPX does say its content sound samples and effects are copyright free but they are not royalty free without purchase of a separate licence which includes all their sound samples they had with Music Maker. That's fine for private use but practically useless for uploading to any video sharing site. Look up the end user licence agreements or the terms and conditions at Producer Planet. A lot of those effect titles were made by tweaking Boris title effects. I can see the basic templates that were tweaked. Not that it's a game changer if one can make one's own but it is cheeky.

The Sample packs I get from Acoustica, Steinberg and a few other sample libraries carry no such limitations. I don't expect full project backwards compatibility and can easily swap out plugin but a sound file then has to be converted and sometimes guessed at where to place it exactly to get it in sync again. My camera in slowmo still records a soundtrack that can be slowed down to match but they are aac files which my 2018 copy of MEP could open but 2020 version wouldn't, then it worked again in my current 2022 copy and VPX 14 which thankfully all versions could use.

You find bugs that are annoying because you use those or used to use those bits of the program. I used to use the bits I found went missing. The programs have had things added but some are by third party effects like the image stabilisation that some people use. They may be limited time plugins, I haven't checked but it will annoy a lot of people if they get changed again.

Version 11 of Vasco Da Gamma though is a plugin so if it was used in earlier projects, will it still do whatever it did? It's one plugin I have found little use for. Currently uninstalled.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 1/12/2024, 6:01 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4780

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.70. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Reyfox wrote on 1/12/2024, 5:30 PM
@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

Aha - we now know your name.

Yeah... I've had that name from birth... but it was so long ago....

Magix has positioned Vegas as the Pro editor, followed by VPX, then MMS. However, there are differences in editing abilities that are somewhat surprising, meaning lacking in Vegas.

Are you sure about that? Vegas has always been a "pro" editor, even before Magix.

You shouldn't get me started, but, I could not use Vegas as my main editor, starting with the simple fact that Vegas has only one timeline. I use multiple timelines (Movies) in almost every project that I do and the reasons vary. I am surprised that Vegas does not have this.

Nesting tracks has been around since before Magix.

Are you sure you can't open more than one project on a Vegas timeline?? In addition, how many VPX can you open at the same time? The same version or not? As much RAM as I have, I can open the same version of Vegas Pro multiple times. I can place multiple Vegas projects on the timeline and can open them to edit further. But you creat a nested timeline/tracks at any time.

I'm not sure about that. I can only go back as far as VPX6 which had nesting. See page 91 of the manual. Page 104 in VPX7. Nesting in VPX is simply taking one of the other Movies and dragging it from the Project Temp Folder onto the timeline of another Movie within the project. Vegas only has nesting of projects that are not in the project. If you want to adjust something, you have to open that project in another instance.

Again, are you sure about that? You can, but you can also stay in your project and do it. You can try it for yourself.

With VPX, just switch to the other Movie, adjust it, and the nested one is updated automatically.

What makes you think Vegas can not do this?

Also with VPX, Movies can be exported and imported. Projects can be imported as separate Movies in a project - Vegas cannot do this.

Not sure about this. I haven't tried it. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that exported (rendered) movies can not be imported? It is also just as easy to open another instance of Vegas to do what you want, and copy/paste. I am sure it will be much faster and less clutter on the timeline. But either way, it's the end result that matters. How many times can you open a copy of VPX/MMS? Or what about (if you do have them) different version numbers? Can you do that? I can have VP14-21 open at the same time. And multiple copies of each version. Can VPX/MMS do that? And copy/paste between them.

You are right about VPX not having support for some high-end cameras, like Red. I believe that there is a cost to this, is there not, and that could be the reason. Still, we could pay extra to have access.

I don't have to pay extra to have access to more high end cameras. And I don't believe that is an option for VPX either. It's included in the price of Vegas. Like being able to edit BMD BRAW, or having ProRes. Can you render Media Composer DNxHD or HR?

However, Magix VPX beat out everyone with the introduction of:

HEVC/H.265* support -  Video Pro X is the world's first video editing program with Intel HEVC hardware encoding. HEVC/ H.265* is the successor format to H.264 and offers improved image quality at file sizes that are up to 43% smaller

When was this? Dates? Vegas could do H264 in 2007.

Not having multiple timelines is a show-stopper for me. There are many other reasons why I would not use Vegas as my principal editor even though Vegas has some nice features that I would love to have in VPX.

Again, are you sure about Vegas not having multiple projects and being able to edit them on the timeline?

Features in VPX that I use regularly other than multiple movies that I would miss:

• Access to external photo editor (yes, Vegas has Vegas Image, but that is not part of the program either, requiring Post). I have and use PaintShop Pro as my external photo editor. I think that most users have this or PhotoShop.

I can edit with Paintshop Pro, but it requires an ancillary plugin that I paid for.

• Travel Maps

I've had it for years, and have yet to use it. Not a "must" for me. For others, possibly.

• Object and Edit Trimmers
    • Vegas has no simple way to make frame accurate fades - recent discussion on the Vegas forum
    • Transitions in Vegas are weird - there was a recent thread on this - when creating a transition on 2 untrimmed clips, Vegas creates a still image of the last frame of the left clip to make the overlap - most undesirable as the default
    • See the trimmers in VPX if you have never used them (or see my tutorials) - frame level editing of fades and transitions, including first frame, last frame images, etc.

Where is this post? It's easy to do this. I find transitions easy to use in Vegas. As for that discussion, I slightly remember maybe something on this topic. Have you gone back to it? Choosing the first and last frame of the transition is easy.

• Coloured tracks - Vegas only colours all objects on the track with the colour, not the track

Not necessary for editing. The color of the events and the track header are the same, yes?

• Coloured objects - separate from coloured tracks

Ok, AFAIK, not in Vegas. Not a show stopper either.

• Snap markers

Yes. Snap to markers, clips whatever. And speaking of Markers, when you add one, can you write a little note on it? Also, do you have Project Notes where you can write notes and they are keyed to whatever point on the timeline you want?

• Volume curve on audio objects as well as on tracks - Vegas only has track level volume envelopes, although moving an event moves the volume envelope with it (somewhat strange).

Yeah, I've mentioned how I would rather have it event level than the entire track. But, it doesn't take long with keyframes does it.

• Zoom in and out of the Preview Monitor window - Vegas only recently introduced zooming in, no zooming out

It's there, so..... can you in the preview window, move the image around and not have multiple copies as you move it around show up? And it becomes laggy the more you move it around. At least on my computer using VPX14.

• Wizard - Sound Track Maker (this uses a built-in version of Music Maker and I have asked Magix to update this to use the new Song Maker available with the latest Music Maker - much more powerful, allowing use of any Soundpools available on the system)

With Vegas, you can use any music editor. Any. But I rather use Smartsound. Yes, it's a paid plugin, but for editing their music, I know of nothing that compares.

• Wizard - Slideshow Maker with background music adjusted to length of the slideshow (no music comes with Vegas)

Pros would rather add music themselves. I do. If I want to do something like that, I have Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate.

• Movie Templates - often I just use the music and maybe title or graphics

Correct. No movie templates. Again, pros would rather do it themselves. Do you see Davinci Resolve with templates or supplied music? I do have consumer editors on my computer where I can do exactly that. Select templates, add music, press a button, and done. Don't get me wrong, it has it's place. And I've used templates (but never ever supplied music) in the past, and might in the future if necessary, and under a deadline. Nothing wrong with doing that. But again, that is the difference between Avid, Premiere, Resolve, Vegas, Lightworks, Edius, etc., and other editing software.

• Templates – there are many, including templates for Titles, Transitions, Movie & Editing, Intros/Outros, Themepacks, Movie Looks, Collages, Design Elements and Image Objects. Yes, Vegas has many for Titles and Transitions, but that is about all.

Again, pros do it themselves. Movie looks? Vegas comes supplied with LUT's. And there are zillions of free LUT's on the web.

Titles - change colours of letters/words in the same title, Vegas cannot.

We went through this before where I showed that it could and has been able to do this "forever". I'll add a video at the end to show it can be done.

• In VPX, I (and templates) often have different lines of text with different colours. Vegas can keyframe colour changes of text, but all text is the same colour. Vegas can handle multiple columns of text, VPX cannot (would be nice to have).

Vegas title editing software needs a serious update but. it can be done. Each letter can be it's own color. Not sure where you get this information.

• Builtin DVD/BR creator with templates.

I do have DVD Architect... but later versions of Vegas no longer come with it. I personally haven't burned a DVD in ages.

• 3D Title Maker
  • Just having multiple tracks available without have to insert more

Aw.... come on... you can have as many tracks as you want. You know that. Who cares if 50 show at one time if you need a couple of tracks at the moment. And to "insert" a new one is easy.

There are more reasons, but that is enough.

And it seems Vegas can do most of what you say it can't.

Notice that I have not mentioned effects such as compositing modes (limited in VPX, extensive in Vegas) and plugins. Vegas has access to more plugins than VPX, but these are not part of the main program, with the exception of composite modes in Vegas; VPX needs a plugin for this (who has ever used Divide in a composite mode for videos?).

Yes, the ability to add plugins adds in editing. And it depends on which version of Vegas you buy, what plugins come with it. Or what "specials" are available. Compositing is something that is needed. "AI", how much of that is in VPX? Smart Mask? Adjustment events? Color Grading panel? Z-Depth? Oh, that's right, none of that is available.

OFX

As for OFX, VPX has had this feature since before 11 but after 7. I am missing the manuals from VPX8 through 10. In VPX11, "The interfaces of the OFX plug-in video effects have been completely redesigned and are now much more user-friendly." So, Magix introduced OFX prior to VPX11.

But, according to the Boris people, something is wrong at the Magix end of OFX. I think they know a thing or two about plugins.... more than you or I, and without speculation.

As for VPX not being fully-compliant, even after the comments from Boris, I still maintain that it is possible that VPX does not have some features that certain Boris effects need. The question should be put to Magix.

That is called "not being fully compliant" OFX API. I am comfortable using Boris FX, Sapphire, NBFX, Ignite Pro to name some of the OFX plugins Vegas can use. It's a Magix issue. Why does the FX Browser/Editor appear in MMS and not VPX?

Note the caveat from Boris that I mentioned "...we develop our software to align with the official OFX API, which it does in the OFX hosts that we support such as Vegas Pro, Nuke, Resolve etc,..." Why just "hosts that we support?" I that the answer is:

...I would absolutely say that Continuum is fully OFX compliant, but the reality is that every plugin<->host pairing requires significant custom tuning."

I have NewBlue and Hitfilm OFX effects that work in both VPX and MMS, along with BCC Titler Pro. However, there is a major bug with the Hitfilm OFX that have X and Y parameters. Keyframe them causes one or the other to go to infinity - grrrr - on my Bug List.

I have the last version of FXHome's Ignite Pro OFX plugin. It's all in Vegas Effects (standard), Vegas Pro, Hitfilm Pro (standard) and Davinci Resolve Studio. Can you get NBFX Transitions to work? The responsiveness of Vegas using OFX is much much better than VPX14. It's almost instant. And remember when I posted a link to the OFX site on the definition of "host"? Remember how I also showed HFP isn't on that list. Vegas Effects isn't on that list, and neither are some others that will host Boris? And it does read "FX hosts that we support such as Vegas Pro, Nuke, Resolve etc." Notice "etc.." and "such as". Means that there is more than what they listed that will work.

Overall, Vegas Pro offers more than VPX in editing. It is a more professional editor with a much more extensive feature set and the capability to expand even further. Just go take a look at the Vegas webpage, where you see video demos and demonstrations. Then go to VPX. There isn't even a demo of VPX15 on it. Why? There was one for VPX14.

The "Store" has Respeedr... I'd love to see that plug into VPX....

But I am an advocate of using what works for the person. If you are happy editing with VPX, that's fine. It's a good editor. And for most, it's one that many can grow into.

What bugs me, how can I keep all the color scopes, meters, etc. on the screen all the time when previewing a video clip?

browj2 wrote on 1/12/2024, 6:20 PM

@CubeAce

Hi Ray,

OGG WMA FILES

The program can no longer imports ogg or wma files as well as not having access to the main concept encoder any more.

Incorrect. See the image below.

I have no problem importing wma files into VPX. As for ogg, that is the format used by Magix for most of the Soundpool loops that they sell. In Music Maker, we have the choice of ogg or wav. In VPX, all of the music used by the Slideshow Maker are ogg files. You have these under:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\MAGIX\Common\Videocontent\Video Pro X\Slideshow music

Try them out on the timeline.

All of the loops used by Soundtrack Maker in VPX/MMS are ogg files. The wizard creates an export file of the result. However, you can drag and drop any of the ogg loops onto the timeline (I suggest making a copy first). They are under:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\MAGIX\Common\Videocontent\Video Pro X\Soundtrack Maker Styles

Try them out on the timeline.

Most of the songs and audio fx that come with the Movie and Film Templates in VPX/MMS are ogg files.

Songs and Sound Effects that you can purchase in the Store are all ogg files. They say mxogg, but that is a copy protection that Magix has on these files.

You can import ogg and wma files, however, you cannot export to those formats.

MAIN CONCEPT

The main concept encoder gave me good quality encoding and the ability to set a higher audio bit rate.

No comment except that from recollection it started giving major problems (crashes) and was never updated (your comment in a thread). DivX drivers were dropped. I don't see this as a feature, just a codec that became stale.

LICENSING

What bugs me most though is that VPX does say its content sound samples and effects are copyright free but they are not royalty free without purchase of a separate licence which includes all their sound samples they had with Music Maker. That's fine for private use but practically useless for uploading to any video sharing site. Look up the end user licence agreements or the terms and conditions at Producer Planet. 

Incorrect. All Magix content is Royalty Free and this is stated all over the place - this means that you do not have to pay royalties per use or view, something that I think should be obvious. There is no such thing as "copyright free" except when a copyright expires. Copyright is always held by someone or entity; you get a license to use whatever it is, and that license comes with its own conditions.

Magix provides the audio files (there are music and sound effect files with the programs) and effects and other content with a license for private use with Movie Studio and PhotoStory. However, Magix provides a Commercial Use license for the same content with the purchase of VPX.

I have reviewed the licenses with purchases of audio files and Soundpools in VPX, Music Maker and Producer Planet and they are all the same.

In VPX (and MMS), when you purchase music from the Store, you can choose your license.

No comment on what other suppliers do or about aac files.

Image Stabilization: At one point, Magix added in a version of Mercalli 2, I believe. This was dropped as they bundled more recent versions of Mercalli. Why keep version 2 when you have version 5 or 6? Magix added Vegas Stabilization.

Vasco da Gama was not really intended to be a plugin but I guess that one consider it as such as it shows up under Effects or something. Motion Studios must have done a special version for Magix. The resulting file just gets put on the timeline like Travel Maps after being saved on the HD. If it came with a version of MMS or VPX as yours did, then the serial number was tied to the Magix program. I recall that when one purchased an upgrade (even under the update service) there were problems using the S/N. I believe that it was resolved. You can try it to see if it still works.

I don't know how it would work if one purchased it through the Store. The Essentials version is a slightly stripped down version of the real thing from what I understood from Motion Studios (I asked several years ago). I have the real thing, version 16 HDProXXL. The current offering is version 17 and HD Professional is 149 euros new. The upgrade to HDPro is 89 euros so it's about the same price as the old version 11 Essentials. There is no Essentials version offered by Motion Studios. Frankly, I don't know why Magix keeps selling this, or at least selling it at that price - far too expensive for a very old version. I guess that Motion Studios never made another Essentials version, so no upgrades.

That said, if you want a neat video of the globe turning a couple of times and then zooming in on a particular location, then try using it. There is a tutorial on how to do it. There are other features as well, but for the most part, one is better off using Travel Maps.

I use VdG along with Vasco StreetMaps. I use VDG because many of my travel routes are complicated and I like to be able to zoom in and out along the route. It has many features not available with Travel Maps, but TM has its own advantages. See the video on my trip to Iran if you want to see how I used VDG.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 1/12/2024, 6:21 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

Nalmcruto wrote on 1/15/2024, 7:21 AM

This makes me suspect that PI plugin is not truly OFX compliant.

"OFX" is like "avi", seemingly simple, but actually very complicated.

Boris is the most advanced OFX plug-in manufacturer in the world today, and their products are definitely in full compliance with OFX standards.

Roberto-Goncalves wrote on 1/15/2024, 11:54 AM

Hi,

Which support team do you think offers better assistance: Vegas Creative (Vegas Pro) or Magix (MVS / VPX)? (note: I didn't find anyone from Magix on the MVS/VPX forum! Vegas Creative has at least 2 from the technical/development area who participate from time to time). Do you consider this relevant to support the Customer in the technical/development area?

Thanks!

Xara photo & graphic designer v17,v18 and v20(lifetime)

i7-8565U CPU & 1.80GHz / 16GB RAM / Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 /Windows 10 Pro 22H2 / PowerDirector 4 years v12,v13,v15 Vegas MS Platinum 3 years v15,v17 Magix Movie Studio Platinum 1 year v2023,v2024

Reyfox wrote on 1/15/2024, 12:43 PM

I know in the Vegas forum, the CPO (Chief Product Officer), Gary Rebholz will come in from time to time, along with VEGASDerek and other developers.

While I don't consider it necessarily relevant in supporting the customer, I do know that when some customers are having issues, they've jumped in to help get things resolved. But for the most part, in most user forums, the actual users help get a lot of things solved.

browj2 wrote on 1/15/2024, 12:47 PM

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi,

Which support team do you think offers better assistance: Vegas Creative (Vegas Pro) or Magix (MVS / VPX)? (note: I didn't find anyone from Magix on the MVS/VPX forum! Vegas Creative has at least 2 from the technical/development area who participate from time to time). Do you consider this relevant to support the Customer in the technical/development area?

It would be nice to have someone from Magix show up more often, like the author of this thread. However, you have to remember that Magix' programs other than Vegas, come in multiple languages and this forum has 6 languages. It would require people who have language as well as technical skills. Magix is a German company, so it would be easiest for Magix personnel to contribute on the German part.

the Vegas forum, on the other hand, has only 2 languages to monitor. I quickly checked the German part and I didn't notice either of the two Vegas team members showing up there being Americans. I think that they only speak American English.

So, although it would be nice to have someone from Magix contribute more often, I don't think that it's really practical given the multiple languages and multiple products.

Instead, we have to live with creating tickets and getting help from the forum members.

Edit: Looking at the Vegas forum again, but quickly, I see that VegasPascal has contributed quick a bit on the German forum.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 1/15/2024, 12:57 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 1/15/2024, 1:17 PM

@browj2 while there are 2 forums for Vegas, Vegas Pro comes in 8 languages. English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese and Korean, depending on the international installer. And yes, they've all appeared in the English Vegas forum and have received help.

CubeAce wrote on 1/22/2024, 1:58 AM

@Stephanie-Corby

Hi Welcome to the user to user forums.

Please start your own topic in the video section and read this first please. That will help other members to help you.

To me at present it sounds like you are not running the latest version of your copy of Windows but at this stage I could be wrong.

Ray.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.70. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

emmrecs wrote on 1/22/2024, 3:59 AM

@Stephanie-Corby

As @CubeAce (Ray) writes, you need to create a new post with your question since it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Please do as he asks, making sure to include ALL the requested details.

Your post here has been hidden in order to prevent this thread going seriously "off-course", with apologies.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

CubeAce wrote on 1/24/2024, 7:13 AM

@Roberto-Goncalves

Please read the comment directly above.

This question is off topic. This section is for feedback on using the program or reporting problems.

Ray.

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/24/2024, 7:37 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Reason: User comment hidden, edited text for clarity

Colorz wrote on 2/27/2024, 2:32 PM

moving the program window to another monitor can be a chore / spooky behavior. Export codec loads cpu & gpu vastly differently depending on codec chosen, AV1 vs MPEG4 vs HEVC. Still too much border/ wasted space around windows, which cuts into the timeline. Text is an improvement. no crashes, seems very stable. does act laggy and or glitchy at times when scrubbing timeline, I have a powerful system. 13900k intel cpu Asus pro art z790, samsung 980 drives, windows 11 w 64gb. edit: So editing 2.7 k or even 4k should not be a problem (but it is) . Despite any issues what matters is the final product. How does the export footage look ? Working with it in timeline proxy or not is one thing (poor image can be tolerated to some degree) but please show me something that looks good. I have played with all the settings on export and was just unimpressed. My old 1080 footage looks the same as the 4k stuff. The software cannot even handle 5k in the editor without proxy, reducing all the playback settings. + On a hunch I went to another program/editor just to see what things look like on this new hardware. Sadly I have to tell you guys. The only reason I will open X15 is to finish up some long time projects I have been working on. I suggest you guys take a look at your competition because things are just night & day. I really did not want to learn a new editor but the results have me no choice. Stability for x15 is great and a few times it recovered itself after locking up. In closing even my cpu runs 30 to 40 degrees cooler on the other software. 90f export, compared to 58f export. same footage, same export settings etc. Thanks guys its been fun but it's time for me to move on.

On a hunch I went to another program/editor just to see what things look like on this new hardware. Sadly I have to tell you guys. The only reason I will open X15 is to finish up some long time projects I have been working on. I suggest you guys take a look at your competition because things are just night & day.

Was thinking let's take a look how things are going here..after that I moved on for more then a year. Im still getting mails every week to buy VPX..with their LAST CHANCE 2 days blahblah...every week...the year round lol..think it says enough. I tried to warn Magix here multiple times. Also send some emails..it's like talking to your bowl cornflakes, use your time for other things, they don't wake up. It's sad. Ps. Its REALLY day & night, you know.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    AMD FX-8370    
RAM
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 936MHz (11-11-11-30)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942)    
Graphics
    HP 27xw (1920x1080@59Hz)
    PHL 323E7 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    SyncMaster (1440x900@60Hz)
    4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)    
Storage
    3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40 EFRX-68N32N0 SATA Disk Device (SATA )    
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA )    
    232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))    
    3725GB Western Digital WD Elements 25A3 USB Device (USB (SATA) )    
    4657GB Western Digital WD Elements 25A3 USB Device (USB (SATA) )    
    119GB Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
    ASUS BW-16D1HT SATA CdRom Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio