Shutting down Acidplanet.com

Comments

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 9/28/2018, 8:43 PM

I actually won one remix contest and was a runner up in another one on AP.

I 99% likely saved them, then - although the metadata (artist name, title) may be lost, and I still haven't finished uploading everything to archive.org

Architecture wrote on 9/30/2018, 12:00 PM

Hopefully we can all find a place to reunite and keep the spirit alive from Acidplanet. This thread seems to be the best place I have found to do that.

emmrecs wrote on 9/30/2018, 3:41 PM

@Former user

I very strongly suspect that a web site named acid-planet.com might very well be seen as "copying" the intellectual trademark rights of ACID, especially since what you are aiming to do is emulate the features and facilities of the old "AcidPlanet" which clearly was associated with the ACID name. I think you should take very careful and detailed legal advice before you proceed. (Although I am a moderator on the Magix forums, I, like all the moderators, am NOT a Magix employee, merely a user of the software, just like you. So, my opinion is just that; I am not "following the official Magix line", merely suggesting you should be careful not to infringe anyone's or any company's rights by the naming of your proposed site.)

my website would not be advertising any of their products, acidplanet has been destroyed for good and it is now www.producerplanet.com

The aspect of "advertising their products" is, IMO, irrelevant to this matter; Magix may actually not mind a little extra advertising! However, it is not correct to say that "AcidPlanet is now ProducerPlanet". There may well be some areas of crossover, but whereas the former was designed to allow users of ACID to "share" their work, ProducerPlanet is an area for Magix to offer a wide range of "add-ons" to various of their product line. I'm not aware of any way for ordinary users to showcase their work there.

Magix stated that there would be confusion, that is not enough to justify any copyright issues and my website will be built.

Unfortunately, I think "confusion" (to a potential user) can be a legitimate, legal, reason to claim for copyright and intellectual property infringement.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 10/2/2018, 1:46 PM

@Former user

Hi

In addition to Jeffs comment re legal advice I too would recommend you take legal advice, not only with respect to to the copyright and naming issue, but also:

1. if you are going to allow users to upload their creations you are going to have to comply with the various nations Data Protection regulations and the EU GDPR regulations

2. preparation of the site terms and conditions of usage

3. preparation of the sites 'Impressum'

4. other legal/statutory requirements depending on the country where the website is hosted

As to the Acidplanet name - AFAICS the name is still a registered trademark and thus, using the name in any form of website name no matter what the domain extension is, or as a 'product name' which the web site would be, is an infringement of that trademark.

. . . . www.musicplanet.com . . . .

Music planet is also a trademarked name

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/2/2018, 1:47 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 10/3/2018, 7:39 AM

@Former user

destroyed by Magix

essentially because the site was completely unable to follow the GDPR regulations! So, it was not really "destroyed"; put simply, there was no alternative to closing it.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

tyzoid_ wrote on 10/3/2018, 8:43 AM

Perhaps we should move this discussion off of the magix forum, in case the mods/admins on this site decide to shut things down.

emmrecs wrote on 10/3/2018, 11:25 AM

Hi.

I see no problem at all about discussing the difficulties created for users by the demise of Acidplanet or of what might replace it, with two caveats:

• There is no point bemoaning and complaining about its disappearance: Magix now own ACID and all its associated trademarks, intellectual property etc., which clearly includes the Acidplanet name. The decision to close the site, at rather short notice, was one forced on them by the imminent arrival of the EU GDPR; even a "slight" delay to its closure could have risked Magix being subject to legal action. They were not prepared to countenance this, quite rightly in my opinion.
  • Any flaming at Magix for its decisions or ranting about the loss of the site will not be allowed, since both are pointless and would be in contravention of Magix' Community Rules, which are available to all users to view in the footer area of every forum page.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Former user wrote on 10/7/2018, 3:28 PM

To all the members from acidplanet.com I have communicated with a great guy from acidplanet you know as Dave Hollinden recently and he misses you all and passes on his best regards.

Former user wrote on 10/7/2018, 5:09 PM

A scotsman like myself aged 59 yesterday has always been a very positive person in life and hates to back down more so when facing hurdles and likes to think he can speak freely, I am going to build this music website in memory of acidplanet and it will be www.apmusicians.com. I will get in touch with some folk and start building this site in 2019. There will be a new AP logo.

Hyperdriver wrote on 10/21/2018, 4:20 PM

I did a crazy Ray Of Light remix a d was curious to see if it was archived. Sadly not but hey, I'll live ;)

mick-bolwell wrote on 10/24/2018, 8:02 PM

I miss the weekly 8 packs - I tried to write a lyric or rap around each one! There were loops on those 8 packs that were not available anywhere else on AP. I miss it sorely. Kompoz and other "collab" sites are a far cry from the Magic that AP created.

Daturatech wrote on 11/2/2018, 8:43 AM

Damn. I lost all my stuff :( Finally back online and wanted to grab my stuff from AcidPlanet and saw this. Thanks to the guys that archived some of the stuff. I found two of my tracks there. All my copies outside of AP are long gone. I loved that place. Sad to see it go.

Daturatech wrote on 11/2/2018, 9:11 AM

Hi again. If anybody has more archived material or knows of a vault of some sort, please email me at daturatech AT gmail. Appreciated. RIP AP :(

Funeral_Breakfast wrote on 12/7/2018, 5:01 AM

My wife and I were incredibly sad to see Acidplanet.com put to rest. I'm not allowed to say how I really feel about this apparently.

twerpuser wrote on 12/12/2018, 7:42 AM

I'm really fed up as I've lost All my tracks i had over 100...I only just found out that it's gone! The mirror site only has 11 of my tracks!

SR88 wrote on 12/18/2018, 11:58 PM

wish i knew about this before it happened.. lost a lot of tracks. most importantly, i always liked looking back on old times, reviews on my music, and appreciating the fun i had from 2006-2012. miss y'all

Whitewolf225 wrote on 12/31/2018, 3:13 PM

I only just today found out that Acid Planet was closed down. I'm a sad panda I had a lot of songs there, and now they're gone. I have no backups of them since my hard drive crash.

My profiles were: Whitewolf, Whitewolf Redux, and Breakdown Communications Inc.

If anyone managed to archive these, that would be awesome. I found only 5 or 6 of my songs on an archive site but that's it. I miss AP. Please Magix restore our songs to us, or at least figure out how to make them available to the registered users of the old AP site. There must be some options available, as they are not your intellectual property that's wiped.

Former user wrote on 4/11/2019, 9:45 AM

I know I'm late to this thread, but I read it last year, and I decided to finally create an account here and reply with my equally nostalgic thoughts. This news is still very sad because AP was my first real exposure in the music world. I joined in March 2002, and I remember how hard it was to make it to the top of the charts, unlike the last plenty of years where a few ratings and reviews shot you up high. For my first track, I reviewed and rated over 100 tracks, and I only peaked at #3, lmao. I even got a scathing review a la Simon Cowell. Yikes! Those were the good times, though. That was when AP was at its best, including the loads of remix contests. Granted, when I returned years later, it was still fun, but it definitely died a slow death. I think a lot of us feel nostalgic because there wasn't and still isn't a site like it at all. Many of us even made friends and collab partners on there. I was told by a remixer friend of mine that the media site of Magix is pretty much the alternative to AP because a lot of APers flocked over to it. Still, I wish there were a true alternative in that it would work as closely as possible to AP. Pipe dream, I suppose.

Former user wrote on 4/11/2019, 10:04 AM

Well the original 20 years vet at ap Patient X now resides at this lovely site.

Good to see apers coming along to Magix.

fetter339 wrote on 4/11/2019, 1:11 PM

Welcome home!

Former user wrote on 4/11/2019, 1:53 PM

Thanks so much, guys! :)

james-u wrote on 8/10/2019, 10:42 AM

Hey, there. What happened to the rest of my music?. I uploaded about 19 pieces to acidplanet, now I found only 2 in the mirror site. Who's responsible for the transference of data?

emmrecs wrote on 8/10/2019, 11:04 AM

@james-u

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Who's responsible for the transference of data?

The strict answer to your question is, You!

As you will see from the first post in this thread, Magix announced they were closing AcidPlanet in May 2018. This provoked a number of users of the site to protest the closure and others to ask about how to download and archive their own works and still others to suggest that they might create a script or similar to allow the creation of an archive.

The reason for the closure was, apparently, the coming-into-law of the European GDPR regulations. The legal advice Magix was given was that the existing AcidPlanet site could be considered as being in contravention of that law.

Some success was apparently achieved by a third-party user in creating at least one archive but I understand the creator could not, in the end, download and archive everything on AcidPlanet.

I realise the above is NOT what you want to hear but, regrettably perhaps, it is the situation. If your work cannot be found on any "mirror site" I fear it is no longer available, sorry.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Danny-in-Canada wrote on 8/11/2019, 8:18 AM

Hey, there. What happened to the rest of my music?. I uploaded about 19 pieces to acidplanet, now I found only 2 in the mirror site. Who's responsible for the transference of data?

I might still have them - still haven't finished the uploads.

Although they might be in the folders of files where the metadata didn't get transferred over and so the filenames are just <random string of numbers>.

Honestly, Acidplanet's biggest mistake was not announcing the shutdown sooner. With an extra month, everything could have been salvaged.