Video Pro X16 - New Features and Bug Repairs

Comments

Gid wrote on 5/8/2024, 4:19 PM

@Can-Dive I didn't want to say this is 'the way all other editors work', I didn't want to be provocative implying MS/VPX is 'wrong' in some way, Everyone who's commented about track order & who've referenced other software has used Vegas as the example & so it was just a bit of fun with the wording, Austin Powers styly, 'Yeah Baby',

Last changed by Gid on 5/8/2024, 4:26 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Can-Dive wrote on 5/8/2024, 5:38 PM

@Can-Dive I didn't want to say this is 'the way all other editors work', I didn't want to be provocative implying MS/VPX is 'wrong' in some way, Everyone who's commented about track order & who've referenced other software has used Vegas as the example & so it was just a bit of fun with the wording, Austin Powers styly, 'Yeah Baby',

browj2 wrote on 5/8/2024, 7:08 PM

@Gid

Your image of the Vegas way is correct for both VPX and Vegas. The difference is that the image that is on the bottom, the background, is on track 1 in VPX, whereas in Vegas it is on track 4.

@Reyfox

In your last reply, I said:

Then I said "More complicated" and list a few things that would be nice, like VST3 capability, not redesigning the program.

You replied:

How is what has been suggested "redesigning" the program? Does adding Vegas AI and Vegas stabilizer redesign the program? It would be an option of use. To use or not to use. Not a redesign of the program.

Changing the way that the program works - with content going on one track one way then on a different relative track if worked on differently would require a major overhaul. Adding the two AI OFX is not a redesign, just an addition like any other OFX. I am attempting to replicate what would be the table structure using MS Access to demonstrate this.

You replied:

Wish I had an answer for you. I too would think renaming the software wouldn't be too difficult or costly. But Travel Maps might be more complex if Magix Travel Maps has changed much internally compared to Travel Route Animation.

The software actually handles photo, video and audio files, not just photos. Thus Media Manager would be more appropriate than Photo Manager.

TRA and TM are separate apps that are just opened by the program, the same way that TM is opened by VPX, MMS and PhotoStory. TM is a standalone app. They are not in Photo Manager and return nothing to it. Nothing difficult to change here. There was a feature to select multiple photos that contained GPS data and TRA would open with waypoints according to this data. Just send the GPS data from one photo to locate it on the map - TM actually can do this or almost. Opening TM with GPS data opens it to the GPS data location on the map.

You said:

I don't know or have ever used and when it was installed on my computer, I uninstalled Photo Editor. I'll leave it up to your expertise on bugs, etc.. 

I was talking about Photo Manager, not Photo Editor (actually called Photo Designer 7). They are completely different. Photo Manager does not come with anything. You can purchase or try out Photo Manager here.

Since you mentioned Photo Designer - it also comes with Photo Manager. However, you won't have to worry about it in the future as it no longer comes with MMS or VPX. It was created by Xara long ago. With the divorce of Magix/Xara, I guess that Magix dropped it to avoid paying royalties.

You said:

Curious as to which particular codecs should be added? As with codecs and file formats, beta testing video editing software, it isn't as simple as you present it. I know first hand on this.

I don't know. I think that I hit upon a file that Photo Manager could not display. PM has an image/video/audio player. It could have been any of the 3 media types.

PM allows you to record audio or narration for a photo, saves the audio file with the same root name.wav as the photo. If you display the photo, a parameter can be set to also play the audio. Of course, if you import the photo and the audio into a video program, you know which audio file corresponds to which photo file.

I ran into a problem with this as the audio, a wave file, wouldn't play back in something, but I don't recall what. So, there are a few strange things.

For databases, I spent the better part of 10 years, designing, creating, managing a huge relational database using Oracle and its interface tools, Oracle Forms and Reports.

As for spreadsheets, they have been around since long before computers were invented. When we talk about spreadsheets now, we usually mean a spreadsheet program that does a lot more than just allowing one to input data into columns and rows - which is a basic spreadsheet.

@Candive

I will get back to you tomorrow.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 5/8/2024, 7:09 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Gid wrote on 5/8/2024, 7:37 PM

Your image of the Vegas way is correct for both VPX and Vegas. The difference is that the image that is on the bottom, the background, is on track 1 in VPX, whereas in Vegas it is on track 4.

@browj2 😲 FFS 🤦‍♂️

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Can-Dive wrote on 5/9/2024, 12:58 AM

@browj2

If I could summarise your request regarding Photo Manager. Essentially, you would like Photo Manager incorporated into VPX/MMS and renamed Media Manager. This idea is feasible because it already exists in Pinnacle Studio. Pinnacle Studio has a virtual Library called "Library Media" where video, photos and music can be managed, sorted and organised virtually. These objects can be grouped and sub-grouped into virtual bins called "Collections".

So, my recommendation to you is to forward this idea to Support, or if any of the members here are Beta Testers, I'm sure they can forward the idea to the Magix Development team to consider. But in terms of getting into the details of updating Photo/Media manager from 32 bit to 64 bit, include missing codecs, fixing messed up field names and a fragile database etc, this should be left to the Magix Development team to worry about. We can come up with great ideas to enhance VPX/MMS but in terms of the menutia of actually implementing the enhancement; that is really the domain of the development team. Therefore there is no reason for you to attempt to replicate a table structure in MS Access for this forum to prove a point. Certainly send your database table to the development team if you believe it will help them. 

browj2 wrote on 5/9/2024, 8:14 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

First, VPX. The database table demonstration would be to show you how it works and why, not for Magix. The material that goes on a track has a track package id. There is a track table and a x-reference table of track number and track package id. The program gets everything that has the track package id and puts it on the related track as per the database table. The program handles how and where the track and its material is placed on the screen.

For overlaying, the program handles this by track number and it will put whatever is on the lower track number first, the next higher track number second, covering the first material. That is how it works.

If you put video A on track 1, its audio A on track 2, a photo below on track 3, that is where it is displayed on the timeline. However, it you have the program change the display of the tracks starting from the bottom, just a simple inversion, track 1 would be at the bottom. Track numbers are important as the link between the content and the track is in the database - once. The program doesn't need to interpret which material to put first on the screen, it still puts track 1 material first. This method works for me.

In your example, you still show tracks numbered from the top down, but you are starting at the bottom. This will not work with the way the program interprets placing images on the screen. The idea is to not change the programming. So, track 1 has to be at the bottom.

Furthermore, if I were to have inadvertently flipped the switch to work from the bottom up, there would be no visual way of knowing. I would be putting the background on track 1, overlay on higher tracks, and it wouldn't work. If I saw 1 at the bottom, I would know to start there. The track numbers are important just for that.

In your example, if the tracks were numbered from the bottom up, and you placed a video clip, then the video would be on track 2, the audio below it on track 1, the photo would be on track 3. That works. The video would still show up behind the photo.

The only thing is that if you now flipped the switch for track 1 to be at the top, then your audio would still be on track 1, video on track 2 (which works, it's just inverted from normal), the photo on track 3. It would look a bit odd, that is all. It would still work and you probably wouldn't flip the switch anyways.

So, for the programming part, it doesn't matter which way the material is put on the tracks, so long as it's done with the background on the lower numbered track it still works - no major change needed to the program, no change to the database, just a change to the display location of the tracks on the screen.

However, if is was that easy, Magix probably would have done it.

Photo Manager

Essentially, you would like Photo Manager incorporated into VPX/MMS and renamed Media Manager. 

No, not at all. It's a separate program but a great front end for managing photo, video and audio files. I tried to find something similar on the market, but the programs all seem to be for photos only.

Look at the image that I posted. That is just a list view. You can see at the right, under the Categories column which is really the Comment (bug) column, the comments on the photos or whichever media file is there. This is databased and can be extracted to an html file which can be opened directly in Excel for viewing and printing.

Other than the small viewer, there is a large one that can be opened by double-clicking on a media file, and then viewed using the left right arrow buttons.

There are also tags under the second Categories column. So, I can go to a category and get all images, videos and audio files that have been tagged to a particular person or whatever the category was.

If you look closely, the first jpg file, Reg-0001 has a wave file, Reg-0001.wav. Right-click on a photo, Add audio commentary, select a format, record.

This particular folder contains scanned images, so it was important to get the details as to who, where and what before that knowledge was lost. In going through these, the person looking at them and giving details had some comments on the photo, so I said, let's record your comments so that they can be included in a video later on. Simple. The audio is with the photo.

Under Albums, one can create an album. It opens on the right side of the screen. In going through material, just drag or send a media object to the Album. It's actually just a group of media. The alb file could be opened in MEP or VPX and the media would be on the timeline. Magix forgot about this with newer versions of MMS/VPX and they won't open an alb file. I will remind Magix that they are still selling this program, so they should fix their programs to work with PM as they did before. So, albums are a convenient way to start off a video project without actually opening a video editor. Just keep adding to one or more albums as you are going through the material.

Or, in the top menu, Share, you can select media, share and send the media to the timeline of one of the listed programs (Magix nle's, not Vegas). However, there is a bug with recent Magix programs - only 1 image shows up on the timeline.

Or, just drag and drop into a video editor, including Vegas.

Since I mentioned upgrading Travel Route Animation to Travel Maps, TRA still works, it throws up an error upon startup, but still works. It also throws up errors when making a route, but still makes it. However, it is far from having the capabilities of the newer Travel Maps that has replaced it.

I tried to insert a video here but it won't let me. I selected 2 photos with geotags, right-click, open TRA and it opened with the locations of the two images on the map. Edit - uploading the video worked in the Edit.

And much more.

I now have VPX16 installed so I'm off to see how the TTS/STT works.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 5/9/2024, 8:15 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2024, 8:16 AM

@browj2 wrote:

@Gid

Sorry, I respectfully disagree. It isn't correct for both VPX and Vegas on the timeline. You even say it's different when you state, "he difference is that the image that is on the bottom, the background, is on track 1 in VPX, whereas in Vegas it is on track 4." So it is not correct for both.

@Reyfox

In your last reply, I said:

Then I said "More complicated" and list a few things that would be nice, like VST3 capability, not redesigning the program.

You replied:

How is what has been suggested "redesigning" the program? Does adding Vegas AI and Vegas stabilizer redesign the program? It would be an option of use. To use or not to use. Not a redesign of the program.

Changing the way that the program works - with content going on one track one way then on a different relative track if worked on differently would require a major overhaul. Adding the two AI OFX is not a redesign, just an addition like any other OFX. I am attempting to replicate what would be the table structure using MS Access to demonstrate this.

Are you sure that it would require a "major" overhaul or are you speculating. Unless you are privy to what the programming side of this software is, this is pure conjecture. Using a spreadsheet to replicate video editing software will not work. You can set up a spreadsheet any way you want to bolster an opinion. You know that, I know that. Video editing software works on databases saying where information is located in relation to what we see on the timeline.

If this were a "major" overhaul", then having different Window arranges does the exact same thing. You've shown your different window arrangements. Does that constitute a major "overhaul" of the software? Does that change the functionality of it? No. Neither would a different track arrangement.

You said:

I don't know or have ever used and when it was installed on my computer, I uninstalled Photo Editor. I'll leave it up to your expertise on bugs, etc.. 

I was talking about Photo Manager, not Photo Editor (actually called Photo Designer 7). They are completely different. Photo Manager does not come with anything. You can purchase or try out Photo Manager here.

My bad... I mistyped. Please forgive me. I have Photo Manager installed on my Win10 Pro drive. I never used it. I do all my organizing before editing. And since the media is media that I recorded, I know exactly what I am looking for and where to find it. I've never had an issue doing it. With thousands of images and videos, I know where everything is located.

Curious as to which particular codecs should be added? As with codecs and file formats, beta testing video editing software, it isn't as simple as you present it. I know first hand on this.

I don't know. I think that I hit upon a file that Photo Manager could not display. PM has an image/video/audio player. It could have been any of the 3 media types.

You haven't addressed what I wrote about you mentioning adding codecs being simple.

Again, all of this started with a simple feature request on having an option to change the way of timeline editing is done. That was all. Now, I know personally, some people who will not come to this forum because they were treated rather rudely by some "regulars" unnecessarily for having a different opinion. Me? I have very thick skin for the most part.

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2024, 9:01 AM

@browj2 wrote to my dear friend,

@Can-Dive

Hi,

First, VPX. The database table demonstration would be to show you how it works and why, not for Magix. The material that goes on a track has a track package id. There is a track table and a x-reference table of track number and track package id. The program gets everything that has the track package id and puts it on the related track as per the database table. The program handles how and where the track and its material is placed on the screen.

For overlaying, the program handles this by track number and it will put whatever is on the lower track number first, the next higher track number second, covering the first material. That is how it works.

If you put video A on track 1, its audio A on track 2, a photo below on track 3, that is where it is displayed on the timeline. However, it you have the program change the display of the tracks starting from the bottom, just a simple inversion, track 1 would be at the bottom. Track numbers are important as the link between the content and the track is in the database - once. The program doesn't need to interpret which material to put first on the screen, it still puts track 1 material first. This method works for me.

You keep mentioning tracks starting from the bottom. You miss the entire conversation where this isn't the case in Vegas. No one puts a track at the very bottom in Vegas. No one. So please stop insisting this is what is being talked about. Geez... you have Vegas, yes? Now tell me how the main video track is at the bottom here. If track numbers are important in the database, why does it make a difference? It woks just fine in Vegas, Resolve, Edius, Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Lightworks, Media Composer. And since there seems to be some sort of collaboration between Vegas and VPX, maybe the programming engineers from Vegas can show the Magix team "how" it's done. Now, it might be a daunting task, but your held belief is keeping you from seeing what is being talked about as an option in the software. It's obvious looking at my screenshot that Vegas certainly handles editing with overlays just fine. And yes, it's still a database.

In your example, you still show tracks numbered from the top down, but you are starting at the bottom. This will not work with the way the program interprets placing images on the screen. The idea is to not change the programming. So, track 1 has to be at the bottom.

No one has ever insisted or implied to change the programming. No one, except you. Again, look at my screenshot above.

Furthermore, if I were to have inadvertently flipped the switch to work from the bottom up, there would be no visual way of knowing. I would be putting the background on track 1, overlay on higher tracks, and it wouldn't work. If I saw 1 at the bottom, I would know to start there. The track numbers are important just for that.

You are creating straw man arguments. "IF" there would be no visual way of knowing. Really? You don't think there would be some indication if you chose the option? Straw man, sorry.

In your example, if the tracks were numbered from the bottom up, and you placed a video clip, then the video would be on track 2, the audio below it on track 1, the photo would be on track 3. That works. The video would still show up behind the photo.

Stop reaching and creating your straw man. You know full well that is not how Vegas edits. But, if you want, you can put your audio about the main track. Again, please refer to my screenshot above. Oh, and if you want to see the video, I'll add it at the end.

The only thing is that if you now flipped the switch for track 1 to be at the top, then your audio would still be on track 1, video on track 2 (which works, it's just inverted from normal), the photo on track 3. It would look a bit odd, that is all. It would still work and you probably wouldn't flip the switch anyways.

Why are you creating all these different scenarios that would never happen if this "track flipping" were implemented.

So, for the programming part, it doesn't matter which way the material is put on the tracks, so long as it's done with the background on the lower numbered track it still works - no major change needed to the program, no change to the database, just a change to the display location of the tracks on the screen.

However, if is was that easy, Magix probably would have done it.

You know what Magix is thinking? Are you speaking for them now? Or.... maybe Magix never considered it.

Photo Manage stuff deleted.....

I now have VPX16 installed so I'm off to see how the TTS/STT works.

Good for you. As a tool, TTS/STT works quite well. Looking forward to your review of the software including any improvements or legacy issues.

browj2 wrote on 5/9/2024, 9:18 AM

@Reyfox

No, you miss the point. In Vegas, your background goes on the lower track, foreground or overlay on a higher track. Right? It doesn't have to be the bottom track. That should have gone without saying.

In MMS/VPX, you don't have to have the background on the top track, it can be on any track. However, an overlay including text has to be on a higher track number or it will be hidden. That is all!

No, I am not speaking for Magix. When I surmise and say "probably" does that mean nothing to you at all?

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2024, 9:43 AM

@Reyfox

No, you miss the point. In Vegas, your background goes on the lower track, foreground or overlay on a higher track. Right? It doesn't have to be the bottom track. That should have gone without saying.

But that is not what you said. You said "bottom", and that gives the impression, understanding the word "bottom" that it is the lowest track.

In MMS/VPX, you don't have to have the background on the top track, it can be on any track. However, an overlay including text has to be on a higher track number or it will be hidden. That is all!

Remember, I have the software too. I fully understand how it works in editing on the track.

No, I am not speaking for Magix. When I surmise and say "probably" does that mean nothing to you at all?

It is in the context of the entire sentence and wording. That's all. You speak as if the issue is costly and difficult to do, and if they could have done already, they would have.

This is what you wrote "However, if is was that easy, Magix probably would have done it." You inferred that it's not easy to implement this procedure and if it were, it would have been done already.... and then toss in "probably".

In my many many years of beta testing software, including 3 different video editing software, I am well aware of the difficulties in programming the software. Since I was in contact with the software engineers, I knew what was possible and what wasn't and why. Being under a NDA limited what I can say publicly. But I knew first hand without assumptions and guesses.

browj2 wrote on 5/9/2024, 1:13 PM

Back to VPX16 now that I have it installed on my desktop.

One of the first things to do is set your parameters and Folders paths in the Program Settings. All links in the Media Pool are lost and have to be redone. These can be copied over from the previous Video_Pro.ini, but I opted to just redo them. The Window Arrangement settings, if you have any, are the xxxx.pmly files in

C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX\Video_Pro_X15

and they can be copied over as can the VstPlugins.ini file.

Magix Hub

Text to Speech - worked well. There is an option to just download or insert on the timeline. I chose the latter. Either way, the file is downloaded to:

C:\Documents\MAGIX\Video Pro X16\MAGIX Content

For the perpetual version, there is a limit of 40,000 characters per year. From what I understand from the Magix.com site, there is no monthly limit as there is for a subscription, so you could easily use up the yearly amount quickly without noticing it. Also, there is a footnote that additional service will soon be available for purchase.

AI Speech to Text

Right-click on an audio clip or the audio of a video clip that is on a separate track, right-click, AI Speech to text, select the language, make sure to be logged in, Start analysis. The text will show up, probably in bits and pieces with an indication of the location from the start of the audio. Each piece will become a title placed below the audio file. The idea is to somewhat replicate closed captioning.

The font used is Gidole, not the default Arial, and font size is 17.

There is a limit of 3 hours/year, again with no monthly limit according to the website.

If you want to get just a text file for a long audio file, this is not the tool. You are better off going to Azure or using Word is you have a 365 subscription for MS Office.

More later.

John CB

John C.B.

browj2 wrote on 5/10/2024, 7:45 AM

Audio Recording using new interface

I revisited the new interface. When you press the record button in the transport control of the Source Monitor, this screen appears:

Click the microphone button to get the audio recording screen:

Set the recording location or it will go to My music by default.

The button at the bottom right beside OK opens a column at the right side of the window. Any recordings done during a recording session will show up as shown in the image. After clicking ok, they show up on the timeline. Then next time you go back to record, the column is empty - so it's only for the recording session.

At the bottom is the button to get the old or normal recording screen with recording parameters.

If you record using this new interface, an MP3 is created. Recording is in stereo. If you have an audio interface with one mic or a single mic, then you will get audio on only the left or right channel.

To get mono and record to a wave file and select an input, play while recording, etc., you have to use the old detailed interface by clicking on the button as shown.

I think that this interface needs more thought.

Any comments by those who have tried this new interface?

John CB

John C.B.

browj2 wrote on 5/10/2024, 8:18 AM

Video Recording - Camera Capture Mode - Problems

Following along from my last post about audio recording, try out the camera recording.

Click on the red recording button to get the new interface screen:

Set the folder for saving before continuing.

Click on the camera button. This opens the camera interface and my webcam shows up by default. See the sequence below. You can adjust the focus and brightness. Click on the camera record button. Second image - stop or pause. Stop recording and you get the third image. Retake or Done. At the bottom is a transport control to review the video. The solid circles are for trimming, the empty circle is for scrubbing. Click done. There is a pause, then the interface comes back for more recording. Click the X to get out. Nothing shows up on the main interface and the OK button is greyed out. Exit/esc out. Nothing is put on the timeline.

Go back in, but select Analog from the bottom icons and you get the old normal recording screen with parameters. The first time, I had to allow access to use the camera for this program. I was able to record here.

However, even after doing this I was not able to record video using the new interface.

I did some searching of my hard drives and found the newly recorded videos under:

C:\Users\ClientSIC\AppData\Local\Packages\3067MAGIXSoftwareGmbH.MAGIXVimapp.Capture.App_awcgk3qbzve1y\TempState

named:

CCapture.mp4, CCapture(2).mp4, CCapture(3).mp4....

Some of them had 0 size.

Anyone else see these same problems?

John CB

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 5/10/2024, 1:20 PM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . If you record using this new interface, an MP3 is created . . . .

This is what I get:-

If I use the Magix Capture add-in and start with the centre button as shown in the image below then I get MP3 files.

However if I click the bottom audio record irrespective of the top options, I get the old interface and WAV files

However the files do not show up in the right pane of the Magix Capture dialog.

The folder:-

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\3067MAGIXSoftwareGmbH.MAGIXVimapp.Capture.App_awcgk3qbzve1y\TempState

Is empty.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/10/2024, 1:53 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 5/10/2024, 2:14 PM

@johnebaker @browj2

Hi John and John,

I've used this "new" Magix Capture feature to transfer VHS footage to computer (DV AVI) and it seems to work pretty well, once I had worked out which button along the bottom edge to press to select the input, which then opened the "old" interface screen with which I am familiar.

However, @johnebaker, looking at the details of the file in your second screenshot, I see this stated: "48kHz, Stereo, 187.5 KB/s". That simply does not look right! If that bit rate is correct I'm pretty sure that is NOT a standard wav file. (My understanding is that, by definition, 48kHz wavs should be uncompressed and 1536 kbps.)

Or, am I completely misunderstanding, again?

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/10/2024, 2:15 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 5/10/2024, 2:30 PM

@johnebaker

Hi John EB,

Just a quick followup.

The Appdata folder that I was referring to was for the videos/webcam that I recorded using the new interface, not audio.

Did you try recording video as I showed?

John CB

John C.B.

Nalmcruto wrote on 5/11/2024, 1:39 AM

I watched a tutorial on this and was wondering why I would need an Adjustment event when I could do the same thing on a clip and then just copy one or more of the effects to other clips. 

@browj2 Here are some things that can be done by adjustment events, but far from all, it may answer your doubts.

Can-Dive wrote on 5/11/2024, 1:50 AM

@browj2

@Can-Dive

Hi,

First, VPX. The database table demonstration would be to show you how it works and why, not for Magix.

John CB

VPX Optional Method

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but please be careful not to give the false impression you are speaking on behalf of the Magix Development Team or misrepresent its ability in terms of what is achievable within the program.

Photo Manager

Essentially, you would like Photo Manager incorporated into VPX/MMS and renamed Media Manager. 

No, not at all. It's a separate program but a great front end for managing photo, video and audio files. I tried to find something similar on the market, but the programs all seem to be for photos only.

John CB

Photo Manager

This post is Titled; Video Pro X16 - New Features and Bug Repairs so I assumed you were interested in incorporating features from Photo Manager into VPX, similar to what is currently available in Pinnacle Studio. But if your intent was just to enhance, fix and rename Photo Manager then it would be better served if a new post be ceated specifically for Photo Manager rather than discuss its issues in this thread.

Audio and Video Problems bugs,
Its somewhat surprising that at this early stage after its release, problems/bugs are being discovered so easily. Granted, all software have bugs but they are usually esoteric and not easily discovered. The common ones get caught early during the testing period. I wonder if the the software went through a thorough Beta test period before being released. Is May the typical release period for VPX? 

Reyfox wrote on 5/11/2024, 5:16 AM

@Can-Dive I am sure there was a beta trial of the software. The problem is, as you well know, every scenario of usage is not possible. Like taking into account computer OS versions, drivers installed, along with other soft/hardware.

I've always thought that first releases of a new version was like doing a public beta, like what Resolve does. They don't release a public beta unless it has been tested already. But this is when a broad amount of users can test the software. It takes months for Resolve public beta to become the official release version. Maybe that is something that VPX should look into? But their would have to be some type of limit on it since there is no "free" version like Resolve. And Davinci Resolve does not depend on "sales" to keep it going forward.

Video issues come in all flavors. All the different codecs and containers out there. The programmers and beta testers would have to have access to just about every file created by at least, all the major companies. That's a lot of video files. Some files play "nice", while others from higher end cameras might not. My Panasonic footage has been problem free. But people with XAVC and MXF might not be as fortunate.

It would be nice if every camera manufacturer used the same codecs with the same file properties. But we know that's not the case. Look at Blackmagic Design cameras that shoot in BRAW. All the different ProRes format settings. Then including long gone, but still used by many, MT2S formats.

AAProds wrote on 5/11/2024, 7:08 AM

@Reyfox

The problem is, as you well know, every scenario of usage is not possible. 

The last few versions of Magix have been shambolic. It's internal beta testing is worse than amateurish. Had they given each of us forum regulars a test run they would have delayed the main issue by weeks if not months. Messed up Section, Camera Zoom Shot, import of AVI are the ones that I would have spotted immediately had I been asked. And I'm not even a heavy user.

It's clear they were/are on a timeline and to hell with the actual product quality. The things that I like about this program/s that are busted means I can't recommend it to others. I'd love to, but I can't.

Last changed by AAProds on 5/11/2024, 7:09 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12

johnebaker wrote on 5/11/2024, 9:59 AM

@emmrecs

Hi Jeff

. . . . looking at the details of the file in your second screenshot, I see this stated: "48kHz, Stereo, 187.5 KB/s". That simply does not look right! . . 48kHz wavs should be uncompressed and 1536 kbps . . . .

WAV files can be encoded in a variety of formats including MP3 compressed. Uncompressed encoding is normally used for audio editing to preserve quality.

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . Did you try recording video as I showed? . . . .

Yes, and the folder is still empty.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 5/11/2024, 11:22 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

I don't speak for Magix. Your suggestion about inverting the way the program works was discussed. If Magix could do it, great. Tell Magix. No more discussion about it here, please.

As for me talking about Photo Manager, my question was why would Magix add the 2 AI features into VPX. There was a survey. Did any of those who replied say that they wanted this? Then I indicated what I suggested in the survey and why. Raid the cupboard. Upgrade the program using features and programs that are already developed, just to make a new version look more appealing.

The question about the 2 AI features was answered - they came from Vegas. Great. I wasn't aware of that. They used what they already had. That is in keeping with what I was saying - use what you have.

Back to Photo Manager, I said that Magix should fix it up, and "include" it with VPX. I can now understand why you thought that I was saying that it should be incorporated into the program. I should have stated more clearly - "bundle" it with VPX and call it new, now with VPX. Does that make sense now? It could make an upgrade more attractive, I would think.

I mentioned templates way back and you interpreted that to mean just Movie Templates. I was referring those and Title templates, Collages, Intros/Outros and some of the different Design Elements. When Magix changed the Size/Position/Rotation effect and added Anchor Points, some or many of these got messed up as a result. Changing the way the program operates could likely affect all of the templates to a much greater extent. I say could, not would.

@emmrecs @johnebaker

Hi,

Jeff, the buttons along the bottom go to the old detailed interfaces. I don't think that there were any changes to the old interfaces and parameters. It's the new ones that have a few problems.

For Audio recording, I would suggest to Magix to change the format to wave instead of mp3 and to mono. Either that or add in options on the screen. Other than that, it works for me. As it is, it's easy to change stereo to mono on the timeline in VPX, but not so easy in MMS.

For the new camera/webcam recording interface, it has features that the old one does not. In particular, a review of the video, the capability of trimming the video, and a choice as to whether or not to keep the recording or retake it. On the other hand, the old one has more parameters. So, it's up to the user which interface to use.

. . . . Did you try recording video as I showed? . . . .

Yes, and the folder is still empty.

John EB, do the videos show up somewhere then? If not, do a search for CCapture.

I tried trimming a webcam capture in the interface. The trim didn't work. I dragged the CCapture file onto the timeline and it hadn't been trimmed. I have to assume that this would get done if the clip was actually put onto the timeline by the tool.

One thing that I did notice is that the audio sync with the video is almost spot on using the new interface. I have always had problems with the old interface as the audio is still noticeably off, at least for me. I didn't use this because of the misalignment.

Screen recording

I just tried new screen recording interface and was not able to record anything. It looks good but gives me a "Recording error(1) - Possible reasons: The window to be captured is minimized. Make sure that the window you want to record is not minimized when recording starts." I tried several windows and displays, nothing that was minimized, without success.

I noticed that an MP4 file was actually created, 0 size. These show up in the designated folder.

Could you please try this to see if you have the same problem?

Trimming and Project Temp Folder (PTF)

In my first post, I indicated that the problem of trimmed clips going to the PTF was fixed. Well, as we found in another thread by Roberto, there is still a problem.

Trimming a clip in the Source Monitor before importing and then dragging to the PTF now works, at least it does for me. The correct start and duration are shown in the PTF and when put on the timeline from the PTF, it shows up fine.

Trimming a clip on the timeline, then inserting it into the PTF shows up ok in the details, media start and duration, however when dragged or sent to the timeline, it shows up as only 1 second. IIRC, this worked fine before.

So, I think that in fixing one problem, Magix created another.

Can you please test both:

• Trimmed clip from Source (media pool) before import but dragged to the PTF, not the timeline, then from the PTF to the timeline - same trimmed start point and duration?
  • Trimmed clip from timeline to the PTF and then back to the timeline to see if the duration becomes 1 second?

Thanks,

John CB

John C.B.

Bol wrote on 5/11/2024, 12:18 PM

C:\Users\ClientSIC\AppData\Local\Packages\3067MAGIXSoftwareGmbH.MAGIXVimapp.Capture.App_awcgk3qbzve1y\TempState

named:

• CCapture.mp4, CCapture(2).mp4, CCapture(3).mp4....
  • Some of them had 0 size.
  • Anyone else see these same problems?

John CB

@browj2

Hi John CB,

I was able to reproduce your problem. If no download folder is selected, the recordings will be saved to the folder you point to. C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\3067MAGIXSoftwareGmbH.MAGIXVimapp.Capture.App_awcgk3qbzve1y\TempState
I suspect this is an unintentional Bug. See image and video

But if you select a folder first, the recordings will be saved in this folder. See image and video.

Greeting,

Rob

Last changed by Bol on 5/11/2024, 12:20 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Als een kwestie onoplosbaar lijkt, komt dat niet omdat je de oplossing niet ziet, maar omdat je het probleem niet ziet.

If an issue seems unsolvable, it is not because you do not see the solution, but because you do not see the problem.

PC -1-

PC -2-

browj2 wrote on 5/11/2024, 1:43 PM

@Bol

Hi Rob,

I had already selected a folder. I went back and tried several different folders on 2 different drives. No luck.

Since you can do it, there must be something wrong or missing in my setup. Maybe a camera access. Strange.

Thanks,

John CB

John C.B.