Video Pro X16 - New Features and Bug Repairs

Comments

Reyfox wrote on 5/3/2024, 8:56 AM

I agree with @johnebaker and others in making it an option to change the track layout. That way, both "camps" are happy and it will possibly attract others to the software. It can be a unique selling point for the software for those that are looking to move up in editing. Maybe even have a cross grade price.

For those that edit the way the industry does, track numbers do not mean anything. You can label a track for reference easily. And if we go by a numbering system, have you ever noticed that in buildings, floor 1 is at the bottom with every succeeding floor numbered higher? Each succeeding floor is built on top of one, two, etc..

Travel maps sadly, I have yet to explore. It is a feature that I am keen to get a handle on since we travel a lot. It's my fault getting tied up with editing, beta testing other software, and training someone in South Africa on how to edit with Vegas Pro, which doesn't afford me much free time.

I personally want to see MMS/VPX continue to exist and grow, just like Vegas Pro. And that will require sometimes breaking old customs.

It reminds me when Corel bought Pinnacle, and the beta testers in Pinnacle (like me) were invited by the Project Manager to beta test Videostudio Pro. There was an uproar from the old time users thinking that Pinnacle will be "the" editor. Well, it was, Corel even said so, but a lot of modules that were developed for Pinnacle were later ported over to Videostudio, giving it life that it didn't have. Multicam editing for up to 6 cameras and 2 audio channels, as an example. And there are others. But it was constantly stressed that PS users and VS users edit differently. Each has it's' loyal fan base. But there was nothing wrong with the advanced features of Pinnacle being ported over to Videostudio. Sadly, both are gone. And this is where MMS can get new users of the VS type. I've always recommended the transition for VS users to MMS. Always. And the cost of entry is nominal. Pinnacle users are a different type of editor. Vegas, free Resolve are what is recommended for them.

Reyfox wrote on 5/3/2024, 9:02 AM

@browj2 transport controls in VPX14

The TTS interface in Vegas Pro

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2024, 10:25 AM

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

Yes, if there is a simple way to have the tracks do a switcharoo, fine. Only Magix knows what it would take.

Thanks for the info. The pitch and speed tools are probably enough. Knowing what I indicated about the additional TTS tool in Azure, those who need more refinement can do it there.

@Former user

Just lost my text. Grrr.

I am assuming that the Travel Maps update was minor and not related to the release of VPX16.

Spiffy advert video for GE Studio and the two routes shown are quite amazing. Unfortunately, they aren't made in GE Studio. You have to create a kml/kmz file with the route and its attributes, and import that into GE Studio as an overlay. GE Studio only has an overlay opacity adjustment and opacity keyframing for the imported file. You can't create the ground route in GE Studio. I did a test using Google Earth. Labourious and the result was not great.

Here is the interface:

You can see my heavy red line on or just above the ground that is from the imported kml file. However, there are gaps in the line. I had to put the line several meters above ground just to get what you see.

The entire route that you see on the timeline the a flight path of the camera, like a drone.

In Travel Maps, you create the route, put in location text, images, head object (animated or not) that can be changed along the route, etc.

I loaded the same kml file into Travel Maps, used Satellite map. Here is the start up with no treatment, just default opening with the kml file.

Spiffy it up, use a bit of the 3D tools, and you see the route. However, you don't get the nice 3D buildings because TM is using ESRI maps, not Google, so I would probably just use default straight down look or a slight tilt.

TM has a feature that does a fly-in before starting the route. Here is a quick dirty route video using the same kml file but with some added features, including a fly-in:

Normally, I would create the route directly in Travel Maps unless it was a road or highway route, in which case I would use GE to get the route. For a walk where I captured the gps route myself, I would import that after massaging the points a bit.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 11:37 AM

@browj2  I don't think I'll bother looking then. Just like you I've had travel maps for yrs so I'm fairly familiar with it, but I don't really use it for that, I don't run or go on walks where I'd want to share that activity, & I don't use it in my vids because I don't want to share mine or my clients location.

But I do like Travel maps, @Reyfox I use it for putting an outline around something to highlight it, that is one fx I don't have in any of my plugins,

I take a snapshot of whatever I want, for this vid I just took a screen shot of your comment, 3840x2160. I've also created a blank 3840x2160 png, I guess a black solid would.

Load the snapshot, do the route track thing, then choose the blank png from the Maps option, this replaces the background image but leaves the route animation overlay, export & chromakey the blue TM background in the video editor of your choice.

One important step is to make sure the screen isn't scaled, in this vid I constantly check the scale (bottom right) by zooming then double click to 0% scale it, I did it multiple times just to highlight it (you can do this at the end before export), if you don't it exports as seen on screen & won't match the orig snapshot.

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2024, 12:11 PM

@Former user

Excellent example of using TM for effects other than mapping, similar to mine on my YT site but you added the chromakey part. Do up several like this (rectangles and squares) and keep them in the toolkit for future use.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 12:46 PM

Do up several like this (rectangles and squares) and keep them in the toolkit for future use.

@browj2 Thanks, problem is every image you want to highlight is different, scaling these distorts the line, make it wider or taller & the line gets thinner or fatter. If you're comfortable enough with the program it doesn't take to long to make a new one that fits correct. I also tried it on a video where I tracked it onto the image, the camera didn't move much but it didn't look so good as it scaled n warped to fit the tracking.

I've enlarged the one I did in my vid, too much scale but I just want to show what I mean,

Reyfox wrote on 5/3/2024, 1:17 PM

Wow. I see I have my work cut out for me! Thanks @Former user for the demo and thinking outside the "box" on this!

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2024, 1:26 PM

@Former user

Hi Gid

. . . . Travel maps,. . .  I use it for putting an outline around something to highlight it . . . .

Well thats a new use for TM. 👍

I do something similar with Blender, creating several sizes of the same effect as @browj2 suggested, however as you say 'scaling these distorts the line, make it wider or taller & the line gets thinner or fatter'.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2024, 1:33 PM

@Former user @Reyfox

Here is the example that I did up showing using an animated line on an image that isn't a map.

And, if you like animated lines, then you'll love BluffTitler with Bixangelo, finished up in VPX.

The handwriting was created in Bixangelo, animated in BT and exported as transparent avi, then given chromakey to make the text show the image from another track. The map of Africa comes with the Ultimate travel pack for Travel Maps, and the audio done using some Soundpool loops from Music Maker. The photos are mine.

John CB

John C.B.

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 2:43 PM

@browj2 Sorry I haven't seen that vid, my videos don't really require anything like that but yeah I've done sort of similar on a simpler scale, I remember at one time I added something like this (vid below) but to be honest after a days work when I'm editing my clips (which occasionally might be 3 x 20min vids in a wk) & I'm up till midnight or longer all i want to do is bang a bit of text on that I can easily adjust in the video editor if I need to, or I use GIMP which is quick to open or is almost always already open to create a static box with a leader or I'd just overlay a png arrow+text.,

My videos are intentionally very basic, no intro, no standing in front of the camera talking bollocks, no transitions, just a basic 12frame crossfade (I'm not keen on the 'instant' butt joint, a tiny fade is easier on my eye), no fx's apart from maybe a bit of colour or brightness adjustment (mocha for blurring stuff like my no' plate, Silhouette for hiding minor blemishes that the armchair critics who've 0 joinery skills would pick me up on), no paid placement which I have been offered once & I avoid adding anything that isn't related to the main concept of the vid, my vid titles are vague but the videos are 99.9% joinery -ishhh 😏. My subs have commented saying they like the basic approach with no added crap or pretention so I intend to keep them that way. 👍

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2024, 5:41 PM

@Former user

I should have been more clear, the focal point was to be the handwritten animated text, and I should have made it go slower. I will if I ever get around to doing the Africa videos (Super8 Sound + photos).

John CB

John C.B.

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 7:12 PM

@browj2 

I get that, you created some hand written text & then traced it with the TM route tracker, then i could see it was used for compositing with the other images, one at least is coloured in some way, using the text as a mask. exactly what you did I wouldn't know without seeing the timeline but It wasn't hard to work out from the vid & your description.

Nice but It's a fairly easy technique, no need to make it more clear.

When i said 'Sorry I haven't seen that vid' i was ref to the YT vid meaning that I haven't watched it before but I did before I made that comment. my brief vid was about that first vid when the route is moving labelling things & the rest of my comment had nothing to do with the hand written text.

Can-Dive wrote on 5/3/2024, 7:48 PM

The only reason I am responding is because we have moved on from which methodology is better to how the Center-out (Hamburger) method would be implemented into VPX.

1: There is no change to the track numbering. You don't have to reverse the numbers or anything. Leave this piece of code alone.

2: Don't touch any code regarding audio; Sound clips mix together regardless where the are placed (no hierarchy).

3: The only code that needs to be changed/added is the video/photo hierarchy. The programming logic just needs to be reversed. Please understand, its not the actual track number that is important; it is the relative position between two or more objects that is taken into consideration. This change in logic would be a changable default program setting.  

4: If you have "Center-out" enabled in program settings and you import a project that was previously created Top-down, this is not an issue because the project itself will have a "orientation tag" as to which orientation was enabled when the project was created. For projects created before this version and do not have the orientation tag, they would naturally default to Top-down and would continue to be edited Top-down unless a "conversion switch" was made available.

5: Long term users have become accostom to opening up VPX, creating a new project and start droping objects onto the timeline. These objects naturally fall onto Track 1. Track 1 is the default track even though it is not highlighted. One could easily highlight Track 2 and start dropping objects onto the timeline and in this case they will land on Track 2. This is how Pinnacle Studio works. Its default track is Track 2. So all objects moved to the timeline land on Track 2 unless the user specifies another track. Track 1 is used for Titles and/or overlays etc. And of course you can add tacks above these tracks. So in addition to the Center-out program setting, it would be nice if the system allowed the user to specify the "Default Track". Top-down users will always select Track 1 while Center-out users may select another track. Personally I would select Track 3 as my default. This gives me two overlay tacks and since I like my audio split; video will be on Track 3 and audio on Track 4. Importing music from an external source lands on Track 5. This seems to be the current convention with VPX. I'm not sure why Magix coded Track 5 this way but it works in this case.

Finally, using the spreadsheet analogy to emphasize an important point. If I create a Yearly Expense Report on a spreadsheet; I don't worry about rows and columns. More important are labels. When explaining my spreadsheet to others, I don't say, "Row A15 represents Travel expenses." I label cell A15 as "Travel Expense". Likewise I don't say; "Column D1 represents the expense year of 2023". I label cell  D1 as "2023". Only with lables do other people understand my spreadsheet. Likewise with video editing; we should label our tracks. I admit, I'm a bit lazy but if I work on a huge project, sharing with others, I will label the tracks. Hence the track number itself, doesn't really mean anything; just like a spreadsheet cell reference - its the label attached to it. 

Regarding the implementation of this methodology into VPX, if anyone has any questions regarding the above, comments or I missed something, I'm happy to discuss. Personally I would like to flesh this out further and once all bases are covered, send this enhancement suggestion to Magix Support for consideration for a future VPX release.

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 8:07 PM

@browj2

I should have been more clear

Could you be a bit more patronising!

This took me maybe 20mins inc the time it took to steal a written drawing of the net, (how you made your writing is unimportant), it needs refining & I could've made a separate mask for crossing the T but I didn't.

Like I say nice but a very simple technique.

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2024, 11:27 PM

@Former user

Hi,

Could you be a bit more patronising!

Sorry, that was not at all my intention at all. I read what you wrote, then I looked at what I wrote, and realized that I had not been clear at all, even to me, as to what I intended to focus on - the handwriting. I got lost in the details.

It was not made by masking. I used Bixangelo which creates an eps file of whatever one traces. The typical examples that OuterSpace Software are handwriting - Sketch (handwriting), and roller coasters.

The eps file is then opened in BluffTitler and then exposed over time using the Writer parameter. You can see more on this page. It can be as simple as my handwriting or as complicated as the roller coaster (or probably more) that you see in examples on the web page.

I mentioned this because it is an option to make things, like your highlighting rectangle, etc., that can be used in VPX. It is faster and more powerful than doing it in Travel Maps - once you know how. Keep the project file for quickly getting other variations. The output would be avi with transparency, ready to be imported into MMS/VPX without having to apply chromakey.

Here is an example of animated lines/shapes. These are eps files that I just imported into BT, gave them size and colour parameters and the Writer keyframes - 0 to 1.

Want a different one, create it or modify one using Bixangelo.

Here are the ones that come stock with the program:

I have many more that came with Bixpacks.

Here is another example. The arm/hand is mine. Hmmm, I'm left-handed but I used my right hand.

You are still faced with the resizing and stretching problem in VPX, but you can fairly quickly modify and save a new eps file to use.

Here is the UI of Bixangelo for the handwriting. You can see the control points for adjusting the "route."

OuterSpace software likes to bill itself as the poor man's After Effects...and much quicker.

@Can-Dive

After reflection, it could probably be simple to implement. I think that Magix must use the track numbers for part of the location indicator, along with the object path/filename, start point on the timeline, start point of the file (it could be trimmed), duration and any effects, etc. Thus, track numbering would be key.

In this case, it would just be a case of inverting the interface and working from the bottom, from track 1, upwards. It wouldn't matter which way the user did it, because the track numbers of the objects would not change, just the presentation.

The only problem that I could foresee would be using the templates. As far as I can tell, they don't come with track number per se, but relative track numbers. The user can determine the starting track. So long as the coding of the template detects the starting track, uses that and increments the track numbers for any other objects associated with it, then it could work.

I think that you are trying to complicate it by making it look like other software. Remember, MMS/VPX just gives you a bunch of tracks, minimum of 4. So long as the user using a bottom up interface understands which track protocol being used, then just start with the background on track 1, the one at the bottom of the screen.

I can't say I like the idea as it would add a complication for many users, including instructing new users as the how it works and the 2 options. If someone inadvertently reversed the track interface, Magix and the forum would be hearing about it no end.

Only Magix would know if it's feasible. We are just speculating.

John CB

John C.B.

ericlnz wrote on 5/4/2024, 2:21 AM

It appears "Gid" is now a "Former User". What is going on?

johnebaker wrote on 5/4/2024, 3:47 AM

@ericlnz

Hi

The same question is being asked in another topic and i see he is gone from the Vegas forum too.

At this moment we have no idea on why Gids account has changed to former user.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

HJWolters wrote on 5/4/2024, 4:00 AM

Hi.
Again about the track arrangement in the timeline.
My idea is that the timeline has two separate areas. The upper area would contain the video tracks, the lower area then logically the audio area. The tracks are numbered consecutively and start from the area separation with #1, 2, 3... The dividing line should be able to be moved up or down with the mouse so that I can enlarge the timeline work area for video or audio. I'm attaching my sketch. Just my two cents.

Regards
System: Win11, i7-9700K, GTX 1060-6GB, 32 GB RAM, SSDs 2x250GB,1TB, 2TB, 2TB M.2/1xHDD 500GB/2x ext.HDD a 5TB, 2x 4K-Monitor
Software: Corel Pinnacle Studio 26U, DaVinci Resolve 19 Studio, Magix Video Pro X16/ VdL2025, Vegas Pro 21, RAW Developer DxO PhotoLab 7
Camera: Lumix GH6, Lumix G9II, Blackmagic PCC4K,Objectiv Leica 12-60, Lumix 12-60, Sigma 16mm und 30mm

johnebaker wrote on 5/4/2024, 4:33 AM

@HJWolters

Hi

I do believe there has been a video editor that worked as shown in your image above, however the idea never caught on.

All main stream video editors work on the principle that audio associated with the video clip is displayed directly under, and is grouped with the video.

The Magix video editors have 2 forms of display the compact video/audio on single track, and the more common video/audio on separate tracks as shown below, Vegas Pro and all of the video editors I have used are similar.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/4/2024, 4:33 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

HJWolters wrote on 5/4/2024, 6:26 AM

@johnebaker

Hi.
I bring here a timeline example from the NLE of a third-party manufacturer. It illustrates extremely clearly what and how I understand it. We see the two areas video and audio separated by a red line. This line can be touched with the mouse and moved up or down to enlarge the video or audio area. In addition, each area has a scroll bar on the right side to move the tracks in the area. The overlay track is always above the background track.
The current system is definitely OK. But the two-area system also has its right to exist, as I see it. This is particularly noticeable when many traces could be filled with assets. But as already mentioned, both systems can live side by side through switches.
I hope my two cents are more understandable this way.

Last changed by HJWolters on 5/4/2024, 6:35 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Regards
System: Win11, i7-9700K, GTX 1060-6GB, 32 GB RAM, SSDs 2x250GB,1TB, 2TB, 2TB M.2/1xHDD 500GB/2x ext.HDD a 5TB, 2x 4K-Monitor
Software: Corel Pinnacle Studio 26U, DaVinci Resolve 19 Studio, Magix Video Pro X16/ VdL2025, Vegas Pro 21, RAW Developer DxO PhotoLab 7
Camera: Lumix GH6, Lumix G9II, Blackmagic PCC4K,Objectiv Leica 12-60, Lumix 12-60, Sigma 16mm und 30mm

browj2 wrote on 5/4/2024, 7:35 AM

Here we go again.

@HJWolters

One of the great things about MMS/VPX is that one can put anything on any track. I want my audio with my video, not somewhere else. What you are showing would destroy a good thing. Just because another nle shows this way doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Please do not propose changing MMS/VPX into another program just because they do it that way.

@ericlnz @Can-Dive

You ignore track numbers in Vegas. I would suggest that you do so because the numbering does not make sense with the bottom up approach and numbering from the top down. It is what it is and you have never questioned it. In our everyday lives, we number from the top down. We work from the top down, left to right. I used the spreadsheet example because the timeline is essentially a spreadsheet. Despite what Gid said, one would naturally start at the top and not the bottom.

You are used to this approach and you think in terms of building upwards because that is the way that you visualize placing objects. MMS/VPX has tracks showing that can be simply used. Vegas and other nle's work differently and that is fine for them. For you, working the way that MMS/VPX does is a paradigm shift. I have described ways for users to understand how to use the top down method - track number - 1 is the lowest and anything on it goes to the back, or what you like to think of as the bottom. It is simple to remember.

If you were a new user and faced with the following screen, where would you start, the top or the bottom?

For those used to another nle, you would ask why there were so many tracks. That is the way it works and if you actually worked with it for a while, you would understand why this works well.

The building analogy - build from the bottom up. In that case, a Vegas building would show floor 1 at the top, floor 10 at the bottom. Track numbers are important.

Next, we use the Mixer. The mixer shows track numbers, obviously linked to the timeline track number. The mixer works left to right. The audio for the background, which anyone who used a DAW, like Samplitude, would expect to be on the first strip - track 1 or 2. Because one can put anything on any track, all track numbers show up, even if nothing is on the track.

Look at how Vegas handles tracks in the Mixer. Left to right.

So, any inverted representation of the UI would have to accommodate the Mixer and probably some other aspects. But please, do not try to complicate the way the tracks work.

John CB

John C.B.

HJWolters wrote on 5/4/2024, 9:38 AM

Here we go again.

@HJWolters

One of the great things about MMS/VPX is that one can put anything on any track. I want my audio with my video, not somewhere else. What you are showing would destroy a good thing. Just because another nle shows this way doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Please do not propose changing MMS/VPX into another program just because they do it that way.

(...)
John CB

I respect your point of view on the track arrangement. That's why I suggest: switchable! And yes, supporting my suggestion is based on many years of experience with this application. But your stubbornness is a little strange. No left, no right.
And yes, do you decide the end of a topic?

Regards

AAProds wrote on 5/4/2024, 10:20 AM

@HJWolters

supporting my suggestion is based on many years of experience with this application.

Why then have you persisted with it if you don't like the track layout? Magix does have some handy features, but the track layout and operation is the killer feature as far as I am concerned. It also doesn't easily do a things that can be done in other editors eg proper subtitles. In a fit of frustration years ago I had a crack at Vegas Movie Studio. The track layout just didn't make any sense to me so I came back. Magix = simplicity. I looked ta your track layout of XXX and I immediately had my eyes going up and down between the video tracks and the audio tracks. Just keep them V+A together to keep it simple.

In any case, I think you've got very little chance of getting this implemented. There would be too much work involved. We have enough trouble getting bugs fixed to have the programmers basically turn the program on it's head.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12

Reyfox wrote on 5/4/2024, 11:12 AM

@browj2 Here we go again.

@HJWolters

No one is imposing anything on anyone. You are the one who is dictating what should be and what should never change. I guess you've never organized anything much. Do you mix the forks with the knives and spoons in the draw because you can? No. Go to any supermarket. Do they have everything in all aisles mixed with other items unrelated? No. Life isn't that way. It's organized. Vegetables are with other vegetables. All your forks are together. You get the idea. Now, it is your opinion that the way things are done in VPX/MMS is a good thing. and we are out to destroy it. That is paranoia. What is being offered are suggestions to maybe... just maybe bring new people into the Magix editing that have stayed away from it because of the way it edits. Geez.... everyone (and percentage wise, "we" represent a big percentage of those that have replied in this thread) said make it an option. I guess you aren't for change unless you approve it.

@ericlnz @Can-Dive

You ignore track numbers in Vegas. I would suggest that you do so because the numbering does not make sense with the bottom up approach and numbering from the top down. It is what it is and you have never questioned it. In our everyday lives, we number from the top down. We work from the top down, left to right. I used the spreadsheet example because the timeline is essentially a spreadsheet. Despite what Gid said, one would naturally start at the top and not the bottom.

Your experience in editing seems to be limited to Magix. That's fine. It fits your needs. But others are making suggestions to possibly improve it. As for Vegas, you do not know the software or how it really edits. You've admitted that previously. I know Vegas. I also know MMS/VPX having owned MMS (Movie Edit Pro) since 2015, although not as well as you since it has been your main editing software.

In our every day life, what floor is at the bottom of every single building? In Europe, it's "ground zero" and then the next one ABOVE it #1, 2, 3, etc.. You keep trying to bring up an analogy to justify your viewpoint. I can bring up many for mine as I did before. It means nothing. And the timeline is not "essentially" a spreadsheet. Those are your words. Can you provide cite for this?

You are used to this approach and you think in terms of building upwards because that is the way that you visualize placing objects. MMS/VPX has tracks showing that can be simply used. Vegas and other nle's work differently and that is fine for them. For you, working the way that MMS/VPX does is a paradigm shift. I have described ways for users to understand how to use the top down method - track number - 1 is the lowest and anything on it goes to the back, or what you like to think of as the bottom. It is simple to remember.

I can't speak for anyone else, and saying editing the way MMS/VPX works is a "paradigm shift" is a gross exaggeration as if "we" can not grasp the upside down concept. You know nothing about the editing backgrounds of these people. I do. Anyone here can edit upside down. These are people that have invested their money into the software and have been editing for a long time with various other editing software, including the "upside down" variety. Your "track number - 1 is the lowest and anything on it goes to the back, or what you like to think of as the bottom. It is simple to remember" is very condescending, as if people don't know how to count or can not understand the concept of the way MMS/VPX edits. You know what is simple to remember? An overlay goes over the video, like titles. Easy. And here, I am using the correct terminology. Now again. deconstruct that word "overlay" for me. If something is the "background" where does everything else go in relation to the background? On top of it.

If you were a new user and faced with the following screen, where would you start, the top or the bottom?

Why would anyone need all those tracks in the first place? It just takes up unnecessary space. It's much better to add tracks as you need. If I were a new user, I certainly would not need all those tracks. A new user will start with one track, drop video on it and try to figure out how to add a title OVER the video. So, they will be wondering why they can't. Even if the put the video on track 100 with 99 tracks above it, they can't add a title over it. Go figure. You are trying to twist the already established editing terminology. Text goes OVER a video. You place a LUT on top of the video. You had color grading on TOP of the video. I can go on and on with this. Every effect is placed on top of a video. So naturally and logically, where do you think you would place it on the timeline?

For those used to another nle, you would ask why there were so many tracks. That is the way it works and if you actually worked with it for a while, you would understand why this works well.

Why would someone have to work with it for a while to get used to it? It takes up needless desktop space. If I want to add a track, I will.

The building analogy - build from the bottom up. In that case, a Vegas building would show floor 1 at the top, floor 10 at the bottom. Track numbers are important.

Wrong. Please stop. The ground floor in editing is 1, and everything else is placed on top of it. Simple, You are always bringing up with track numbers, what major motion picture edited uses numbers???? Name one. Track numbers are important for those who might struggle with keeping things organized. Not an issue with Vegas, Resolve, Premiere, FCP, Avid, Lightworks, to name a few. I know where everything is at a glance. Oh, and there are labels for tracks if you want to give them names.

Again, everything is built on the foundation upward.

Next, we use the Mixer. The mixer shows track numbers, obviously linked to the timeline track number. The mixer works left to right. The audio for the background, which anyone who used a DAW, like Samplitude, would expect to be on the first strip - track 1 or 2. Because one can put anything on any track, all track numbers show up, even if nothing is on the track.

Everyone does not use a DAW. I've never used Samplitude so it makes zero sense to me. So this analogy, as far as I am concerned, falls on it's face and is of no instructional use to me. And DAW's are not video editing software. The analogy doesn't work.

Look at how Vegas handles tracks in the Mixer. Left to right.

You mention Vegas, which mixer are you referring to? Which version of Vegas?

So, any inverted representation of the UI would have to accommodate the Mixer and probably some other aspects. But please, do not try to complicate the way the tracks work.ohn CB

Why would it have to accommodate the mixer? You mentioned Vegas, yet it doesn't accommodate the mixer (still trying to figure out which one and where). There would be no other aspect that has to be considered. None that I am aware of. Please correct me if I am wrong if the editing is flipped from the way it is done now.