VPX/MMS update schedule

Comments

Gid wrote on 8/23/2024, 6:30 PM

As for BorisFX Continuum Complete 2024.5 OFX plugins and VPX, since you have them installed (demo mode), I'd like to see BCC+Film Stocks accessed via the FX Editor. You should see this below.

For me it's also the Pixelchooser / Mocha masking, esp with fxs like blur for witness protection like blurring of people or my no'plates.

Such is the case right now with portrait still images in Vegas 22. It's a "no go". But, they appear as they should in VP21.

The Portrait image problem is only with certain files, from my own experience it's my 9:16 phone pics, but open them in Gimp & save them they then work normally in VP, or you can place PinP (Scale X 1.000) before Pan/Crop, so it's not an editing stopping problem.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Reyfox wrote on 8/24/2024, 6:18 AM

@Gid thanks. VP Devs said a fix is on the way, so I'll wait.

Maybe now that there will be some type of sharing between Magix and Vegas, OFX will begin to work as it should in VPX. And not just certain plugins, but all that work in Vegas and Resolve.

I don't want anyone to think that I am downplaying VPX. Not at all. It is a very capable editor. My problem is the upgrade price is a little steep. It's more than VP22, but less than VP22 Suite. I guess it comes down to a matter of personal preference in which software you would rather edit. I know for me, price isn't much a factor. I would rather be "comfortable" paying for something to edit in rather than struggling with something that is free. That's just "me".

Now, back to something that @Can-Dive mentioned a long time ago, if you can "flip" the way VPX edits, offer Vegas users a really good cross grade price, I see nothing wrong with having both editors. VPX brings something to the table like a better titler and built in templates that Vegas doesn't have, which people just starting out might need.

browj2 wrote on 8/24/2024, 1:27 PM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

We seem to have hijacked your thread.

I came across another suspected bug yesterday, didn't write it down, lost somewhere in the memory banks. Old age, I guess.

@Gid

Add a couple of things to your list:

• Vegas can put VST effects on events; VPX is limited to track level, but can use an FX bus from an event
  • Vegas has VST3 capability; VPX VST2
  • Z-Depth

@Reyfox

Concerning “nesting”, you don’t have to drag a movie from another saved movie to do it in Vegas.

You don't in VPX either. VPX has multiple timelines called Movies. Nesting in VPX, not available in MMS: add a Movie 2, add stuff to the timeline including effects. Movie 2 shows up in the Project Temp Folder. Go to Movie 1, drag Movie 2 from the PTF to the timeline. It's one object. You can apply effects to that object. Go to Movie 2, change some effects. Go back to Move 1 and you'll see that the Movie 2 object has changed. Add Movie 3...drag to Movie 1 and you get another nested object, and so on. See the video below.

If you are using MMS, VPX has many more features.

Syncing audio in Vegas - I am surprised because this issue has come in Vegas threads and I never saw anyone indicate that this capability existed; PluralEyes and visual alignment were always mentioned. Maybe I missed something. In this case, then why is this a new feature in Vegas 22?

As indicated in @Gid's list, no Adjustment tracks or Events in VPX. These are all quite new in Vegas from what I have seen. I watched videos on these and they look very good. Do you find Adjustment tracks and events useful or just nice to have?

No grouped tracks in VPX. This is something that I can see as useful in a DAW (Samplitude has this). Do you find this useful in an nle or just nice to have?

No track level video effects in VPX. Personally, I don't see the need for this as I rarely have a track that would have the same unchanged effect on everything - something always needs to be different. Like others here, I copy/paste effects where needed.

There are Project level effects. The Color wheel is the same as the overall tool. There are other effects available there. See top menu, Effects, Movie Effect Settings to see them all.

Forget track motion in VPX in any space, it needs work.

Color Panel in Vegas

Thanks for the updated info. The range limited panel is a plus.

The additional colour tools are the same as those in VPX except for:

• Contrast Center
  • Log Exposure

What do they do?

Your same image shows the 4 colour curves side by side, is this actually the case? In VPX, there is only the one graph, but if you modify one of them, it remains and any can be selected. Note the additional tools for the curve handles to change the shape of the curve at the node.

LUTs - colour correction/grading tools used can be saved as a LUT in VPX.

Colour replacement - see the video below for something similar in VPX, along with nesting.

As for OFX, I don't know if Magix has actually done anything for the last couple of versions. The BCC OFX were installed when I had VPX14, I believe, and worked.

LUTs - colour correction/grading tools used can be saved as a LUT in VPX.

Scopes in VPX - are under the Source Monitor and will stay until something needs to change it.

Looking at your linked videos, I see the differences that I had previously seen but didn't see in my research yesterday. So my point on the wish list remains, update the scopes to have more features like in Vegas.

I remain pessimistic about bugs getting fixed and some reasonable new features in VPX.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 8/24/2024, 1:35 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Reyfox wrote on 8/26/2024, 8:35 AM

@browj2 I dont' use MMS even though I have it. Getting Vitascene 5 Pro was worth the price of upgrading to 2024 Suite. VPX14 is also installed on my computer. Nesting the tracks is basically the same as in Vegas. Just done slightly differently. The results are the same. Pinnacle Studio has had this ability for years. Where I would say, VPX excels is in those little features that can help speed up editing, are the templates. Yes, I will use one if I need to. Not ashamed to say it. But it's rare. Also the titles work faster easier and better. One of the oft asked feature requests is to have a new title editor. But we've been told that it isn't high on the priority list of things to do. I would disagree since everyone will use titles, and it should not be considered and "after thought". But what do I know.

People in Vegas used Plural Eyes because it was faster and simpler to use. That's why plugins are important. You can do a lot of what a plugin can do, but it will take longer. I personally haven't done a multicam edit for a few years. And I would use Pinnacle Studio because it just plain worked, and was brain dead easy to use. 6 cameras, 2 audio tracks and you decide what is the master. Sync was fast (one proxies are built) and dead accurate.

Adjustment tracks have been around since I believe VP19. Adjustment events appeared first in VP21. New? Yes. And they are there, that is what matters. New features are being added all the time to Vegas Pro. Some I would use, others, not so much. But the editing world doesn't revolve around my choices and what I use. Are the new features useful? Adjustment events are, and to a much lesser extent, at least for me, adjustment tracks.

Grouping tracks is useful to have. Ever group clips? You might want to move a series of tracks altogether within the project. Grouping several at a time, is faster than moving a single track at a time. And while I might start out editing with only 2 tracks, by the time the project is really going, there are a lot more tracks. I'll have music across several tracks. So, group the tracks and move them. Now all the music tracks (at least for me) are at the bottom of the timeline.

While you might not see a need for track level FX within your workflow, I've used it to add FX to an entire track. Can you color grade an entire track in VPX if needed? When you need to, then track FX will be invaluable. I can add any FX from my zillions to a track. Copy/Paste certainly works between clips, but the entire track is faster. Organization is the key. Go ahead and try it yourself. I believe you have VP18. Say you wanted several clips to have a slight vignette. Toss all the clips on one track, drag/drop the Vegas Vignette on the track header, and presto. Zillions of clips on the timeline can have the effect without copy/paste. And you can keyframe the effect for the entire track. Vignette on this clip? Ok..slowly bring it out on the next clip, etc.. Awesome time saving feature.

As for what is Contrast Center you read about it. Log Exposure, I have no idea. I don't use any LOG footage, but many in the Vegas forum do.

In the Vegas Color Panel, I can have 4 color curves showing or one which combines them all. So yes, my screenshot is accurate. It's a choice. And of course you can change the curve node with the same tools. Those tools are also in Vegas Color Curves, even in VP18.

As for OFX compatibility, unless you can use BorisFX FX Editor, then OFX implementation is still off. They don't work fully in VPX14. The FX Editor is essential in working with Boris FX.

As for scopes in VPX. In Vegas Pro, they remain in place. Never disappear. Never. You can check for yourself in VP18. View>Window>Scopes. They can be docked or placed anywhere. If you want to preview a video from your project media, what happens to the scopes? They disappear, and the window becomes a Source window. In Vegas 18, in the Preferences>General, you can check mark to have either the media in the Project Media go to the timeline or the Trimmer (source) with a double left click on the media, and never affect the scopes window. It's a pain to always have to click to get it back.

I am sure that bugs will be fixed in VPX. As for new features, look what has come already? You can not discount that AI and especially the HUB are totally useless. And I am sure that there will be more features in VPX in the future. When I was involved in Pinnacle Studio and Videostudio Pro, the new features were developed in tandem for both products. They would appear first in Pinnacle, and then Videostudio. They would be basically the same. So.... if you see something new in Vegas Pro, you never know, it might appear in VPX! 😉

browj2 wrote on 8/26/2024, 11:49 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Take a look at the patch for Samplitude Pro X. It contains new features, improved features and bug fixes. Samplitude gets a lot of attention, VPX, seemingly none.

@Reyfox

You mentioned the Smartsound plugin. I have it for Pinnacle. Would have been nice in VPX/MEP/MMS, but it will now never happen. This is from the SonicFire site under Support:

Unfortunately 3rd party plugins for Sonicfire Pro 6 are entering legacy status and are currently provided “as-is”. It has been a challenge to maintain compatibility for multiple NLEs that over the years have increased the frequency of regular software updates and new features and architectures that vary greatly from product to product. The plugins will continue to function as long as the host OEMs continue to support the integration, but as an alternative Sonicfire Pro 6 includes a new “drag and drop” feature that allows you to render the audio file and drag and drop it into any other application or folder. 

I tried the new drag and drop feature with VPX and it works but there are problems. It took some work to get the file to be saved automatically to a reasonable folder rather than under Program Data. Still don't know what I did.

The main problem is that the files all get named "Drag and Drop Export(1...x)." Folders are created per project with subfolders called "Drag and Drop Export(1...x). Dragging the dragged out wave file onto Sonicfire is supposed to allow one to open the original project or import audio. Doesn't always work. I'll raise these issues with SmartSound.

From what I have seen, neither Pinnacle Studio nor Vegas have multiple movies (timelines) like VPX/MMS. Close, but not quite there.

As for using resources from MMS/VPX, in particular the Movie Templates, when you open one, a folder is created with all of the template resources, including the music, sometimes of different duration. You can copy any resources elsewhere and use them in Vegas. I do the same with Pinnacle and VideoStudio resources.

Syncing Audio - I watched your linked tutorial for this in Vegas and noted that it did take some time to do the alignment. In VPX/MMS, it's very fast. I just filmed a wedding and have been importing the various bits and pieces and synchronizing them.

Multi-Cam is fairly easy in VPX/MMS but I expect that one will encounter problems if there is not at least one video clip that covers the duration. I filmed the entire ceremony with a GoPro (that got bumped and the view no longer covered the important stuff - grrrr) so I have one complete AV track. Stupidly, I put the wireless mic for the GoPro on the groom. The other videos are all fragments. I used 2 DSLR cameras. Both have about half hour limitation before they automatically stop and have to be restarted. I miss my old video camera (never fixed the broken connection to the screen). However, if you don't have 1 complete track, in particular a solid audio track from beginning to end, there will be start/stop problems in multi-cam playback. Ex. camera 1 films 5 minutes then breaks for a minute that is compensated by another camera on another track that itself is fragmented. The trick is to get a solid audio track first. I must try this to confirm.

I am awaiting additional video from others who attended, hopefully to compensate for my poor shots. I expect that I'll get a bunch of videos shot in portrait mode.

I understand the track grouping and it would be nice to have with the capability of collapsing the group to reduce the number of tracks showing. Magix knows how to do this, but for Samplitude. I don't expect them to ever apply this to VPX.

As for grouping objects and moving them, just lasso what you want and group them, move the group.

Moving everything on a track to another track is simple. Mouse mode for a track, grab and drag the first object to another track, everything follows along. Moving a track would be nice to have, but there are many other things of much higher priority I would think.

As for track level video effects, I still can't see anything more than nice to have. Copying/pasting selected effects is simple and one can quickly and simply select which effects and paste them to multiple objects in one shot. Again, there is almost always something on a track that needs individual adjustment, thus negating the track level effect.

As I mentioned, colour correction can be done at the Movie level, but it is very limited.

Thanks for the link to Contrast Center. That would be a nice feature to have in VPX, along with region limited adjustments.

As for the scopes in VPX, I just added a shortcut to quickly open them or get the screen back if closed by some other action. I should have done this long ago.

For the BCC FX, confirmed, there is no access to the Boris FX Editor except for Title Studio.

You mentioned the HUB. I just noticed that there is a What's New button and opened it. There are a bunch of things In Consideration and one in Development. Take a look at the latter.

Modern track concept - better project overview. For the clear display of video and audio tracks. The track order can be freely set for each project.

Maybe this means changing the track order as per what @Can-Dive has asked.

Take a look at the other features under In Consideration. The sorting features look interesting, however, I would prefer a much upgraded Photo Manager with an appropriate change of name to Media Manager as it also handles video and audio files. This is one of the more under-rated excellent programs in the Magix portfolio and Magix has let it languish.

Speaking of Photo Manager, album files can no longer be opened in VPX/MMS. I'll raise a ticket. Magix is still selling Photo Manager.

I should do a separate thread on Photo Manager, it's uses, bugs and needed improvements. I have not been able to find an equivalent program, or even anything close to what Photo Manager can do.

EDIT: HUB - it was added in a previous version. All features and HUB access for all was added to VPX16. Just noticed that there is no Speech to Text feature, only Text to Speech.

Second Edit before my time runs out: Stupid user error. I mentioned that the GoPro go knocked and didn't cover the entire front of the church. Wrong. I had zoomed in on the Preview Monitor and forgot to zoom back out. In fact, all 3 cameras had truncated or zoomed in shots. I couldn't believe that my camera left alone on a tripod would somehow zoom in by itself. Relieved!

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 8/26/2024, 12:07 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Reyfox wrote on 8/26/2024, 5:05 PM

@browj2

Frank and I go way back with Smartsound. As I’ve written before, I beta tested SS with Pinnacle. We still keep in touch. I had asked him a long time ago about a plugin for Resolve. His comment basically mirrored what was sent to you. As for the “drag and drop” feature, I can’t speak on it since I don’t have to use it. I hope that Vegas will continue to keep the compatibility with the plugin, but I understand where SS is coming from.

You haven’t used Pinnacle much. Ever hear of Sub-Project? Or used Nesting? Or done a multicam project? All powerful tools that have been around for a little while. Sub-Projects for many years.

Reducing the number of tracks, well, you can squeeze Vegas tracks really tiny. Or…. As you wrote here, “I understand the track grouping and it would be nice to have with the capability of collapsing the group to reduce the number of tracks showing. Magix knows how to do this, but for Samplitude. I don't expect them to ever apply this to VPX.”, you do know you can do this in VP18 with track grouping and collapsing the group? Easy peasy. One track where there once was a bunch more. Try it yourself. Create several tracks. Highlight them all, right mouse, select Group Tracks, and once done, there is a little “diamond” you can click to expand or collapse to one track. Yes, Nice. Concerning Track Grouping/moving, well, it depends on the editor. I know it’s a high priority for some who edit. We all have our specific needs, so I never minimize someone else’s needs.

Grouping objects and moving them around is the same. Whether events (clips), or entire track of assets. It’s not hard. You can use the Selection Edit tool that’s on the bottom toolbar.

As for Vegas, I have never had a need to bring in another project into it and then edit it again. I know you can bring one in without issue, but more than that, not sure. This isn’t a strong point for Vegas. If asked about it in the user forum, they would probably recommend running more than one instance of the software. Certainly not the answer someone would be looking for, and it needs serious work. Think I’ll make a feature request.

I haven’t used multicam in Vegas because with Pinnacle, nothing has to match anything, not even the audio.  I use what works for me. If that means using a different piece of software, that is what I will do. If I have an event to shoot, and need the entire audio from the event, I’ll have my TASCOM recorder by the PA speaker recording everything. Then sync up later.

You can’t compare the speed of syncing audio in a piece of software that is 5 years old to something today. If you want to compare, then use a 5 year old VPX/MMS to compare. Or test VP22 to VPX16. Saying that today’s software is faster, well, it should be. Compare “apples to apples”. I just posted the link to the video to show that audio sync is not “new”. Why the say it is, you’d have to ask marketing.

Scopes, I don’t have to add a shortcut. It’s always there. You still have to re-open them if you decide to preview a clip.

Track level effects. Yes, it is nice to have. You might not use it, but the need for it is there. If you want to have the same effect(s) on every clip, place them on a track and presto, done. Everyone clip gets that vignette or whatever effect you want. In addition, you can keyframe the vignette and the track separately. That’s control. People who use these types of software want that control. Copy/paste takes too much time, to many clicks. And you can adjust the effect for an individual clip, even at the track level. So you writing, “Again, there is almost always something on a track that needs individual adjustment, thus negating the track level effect.” That is not true with Track FX. You can still adjust anything you want at a clip level, even with the Track FX. Again, you can keyframe the track fx or the effects placed on the track. You miss the idea of what it does. And if there is something that requires special attention, you wouldn't put it on the track in the first place. It’s like the Adjustment Event but for the track.

So it appears that Magix is working on their software. Flip the way it edits, offer it to registered Vegas users at a price they can’t pass up, and they sell the product. I would never attempt to copy/paste templates from one editor to another. I would just edit and then render out.

There is usually more than one way to do something with all editing software. And they all have duplicate features between them. It’s the special editing features that separate the software. But in the end, it is still a tool. It is up to the editor to make the video.

browj2 wrote on 8/27/2024, 8:44 AM

Hi,

I mentioned that I didn't see Speech to Text in the HUB. It's actually under right-click on an audio file or audio part of a video file.

@Reyfox

You haven’t used Pinnacle much. Ever hear of Sub-Project? Or used Nesting? Or done a multicam project? All powerful tools that have been around for a little while. Sub-Projects for many years.

I haven't used Pinnacle for a dozen years. Yes, I am aware of these but these are not multiple movies in a project like in MMS/VPX. Close, but not there. Movies are not sub-projects or just for nesting; they have many uses. I will put up a listing of various uses of using multiple movies.

Below is my current project with 4 Movies opened and the first one in Multi-cam mode. In the case below, I did some work on videos from 2 cameras in 2 movies, and started a third one for the photo session after the wedding. I may add a fourth one for the reception or do a separate project.

The above is the standard layout which I rarely use, mostly just for illustration purposes on the forum.

Synching audio in VPX/MMS has been there for many years, as long as I can remember, and has had no changes. Was and is fast.

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/27/2024, 10:05 AM

@browj2 if you haven't used Pinnacle in 12 years, that's quite a long time to comment on features you haven't used or not even aware of. So how can you say they aren't "movies"? Do you know what a project suffix is in Pinnacle? It's as close as what you have represented so far. I see no difference. We can nit pick here and there about "how", but it's the end result that matters. Oh, and you do remember I was a Pinnacle alpha/beta tester for a dozen years before the end came, so I am acutely aware of what it can and can not do.

I am sure that syncing in VPX/MMS has been around for years. But you still can not comment about how fast it was in the past unless you use that equipment and then compare "apples with apples". Go back 5 years in hardware and software, then compare to VP17/18 with the same files.

Don't think that I am picking on VPX/MMS. I want them desperately to succeed. To the point of directing Pinnacle and Videostudio users to the software. There are other options I could be recommending. There is even a sale on getting 2025 Suite for $39.95 perpetual from Sweetwater in the States (which I've posted in the appropriate PS/VS forums). And while VPX does a lot of what Vegas/Premiere/Resolve/Etc can do, there are some things that it just can't that are critical in editing in the higher end of video.

When I was testing Pinnacle, my oft comment in the alpha/beta forums was for Pinnacle to be VPX and PowerDirector Director Suite with a much lower price. The potential was there, but not the management. The Videostudio beta testers felt like the unwanted stepchildren in Corel. But the reality was, Pinnacle was the top editor in sales and visibility. So everything that was added to it were "modules" that could be added to VS. While that added new features to VS, they still complained about long standing bugs. Sound familiar? In the end, it didn't really matter. Corel is gone, bought out by investors to squeeze the last amount of money that they can from the unknowing people out there. I don't want to see that with Magix, and believe that VPX/MMS has a respected place in video editing.

browj2 wrote on 8/28/2024, 10:14 AM

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

if you haven't used Pinnacle in 12 years, that's quite a long time to comment on features you haven't used or not even aware of. So how can you say they aren't "movies"? Do you know what a project suffix is in Pinnacle? It's as close as what you have represented so far. I see no difference. We can nit pick here and there about "how", but it's the end result that matters. 

I have PS23 and have used PS occasionally since I started using MEP, but not for anything substantial. We discussed this before and I said that Corel did a great job at getting the nesting feature, however, it does not do multiple movies like MMS/VPX. Close, but not there. I went through the PS26 manual again. I only see that an external project can be imported as a nested clip which can be opened and edited within the project. This is not the same as creating and using a second. third, fourth... timeline in a project.

Please explain what a project suffix is in PS. I searched the manual for "suffix" and "filename" and did not find anything extraordinary.

MMS/VPX can have multiple timelines, called Movies, within a Project. Nothing to do with nesting except for VPX.

If I am wrong, please show me how to do what you see in the following image where I have a Project called Season containing 4 separate Movies, Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring. Each is a separate timeline within the Project. Each can be exported to MP4. Resources can be copied/pasted between Movies. Each Movie can be exported (saved) as a Movie file, .MVD, which is just a single movie project file that can be opened by itself as a project (it will be a normal project with multi-movie capability), or imported into another project. Movies in a project can be merged into one of the other Movies. A Movie can be split, with a second Movie being added with the same name with _01 appended. And, Movies can be renamed and sorted.

A single DVD/BR can be created from within the program containing the 4 Movies and each Movie can have Chapters.

I use this multi-movie capability for various things:

1. The most common use for me is when I am creating project that has multiple subjects on the same theme, like the wedding project. Also, for trips, separate movies for Day 1, Day 2, etc. and then export each individually as I get one done, and probably create a BR of the entire trip. I can quickly use the resources, like intros/outros, titles, effects, etc., by copying from one Movie to another.
  2. For just parking material to be used later.
  3. For playing around with effects or something without doing this on the main timeline.
  4. For importing template material to be copied into the main movie when and where needed. Example, I have an outro that I made of smaller size windows with effects for each character in the video, along with their name, followed by a standard outro scrolling text. Just change the material and copy paste into the main movie. Delete the no longer needed movie.
  5. For importing material from digitized sources like Super8 film, VHS and others that contain multiple separate subjects. Create separate movies per subject and move the material to the pertinent subject movie as I go through the source material. Example, VHS with a segment on subject 1, then something else - subject 2, then back to subject 1, subject 3, subject 1 and so on. Do it in one shot while going through the content, then export the Movies to Movie files (MVD) to be opened later.
  6. And, of course, for nesting in VPX.

Here is an example of the Super8 multi-movie project:

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 8/28/2024, 10:16 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

AAProds wrote on 8/28/2024, 10:31 AM

My record, so far, is 20 movies in the one project. Batch-exported the whole lot into 20 MP4s overnight. Terrific.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12

browj2 wrote on 8/28/2024, 11:03 AM

@AAProds

Hi Al,

Kudos on getting all of the movies in a project done! I don't have to batch export as the time between each movie completion varies from long to forever. My sister is still waiting for day 4 of her trip here from 2 years ago. Back to work.

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/28/2024, 11:49 AM

@browj2 wrote:

Hi Tony,

I have PS23 and have used PS occasionally since I started using MEP, but not for anything substantial. We discussed this before and I said that Corel did a great job at getting the nesting feature, however, it does not do multiple movies like MMS/VPX. Close, but not there. I went through the PS26 manual again. I only see that an external project can be imported as a nested clip which can be opened and edited within the project. This is not the same as creating and using a second. third, fourth... timeline in a project.

AS we both know, reading a manual is one thing. Doing something within the editing software is different. And we both know that not everything is covered in the user manual.

What I am trying to understand is what you mean by "Close, but not there". You haven't demonstrated to me anything that I can not do in Pinnacle yet. Each one of the tabs is a separate movie appearing on the timeline as a single clip. Click on the tab and presto, edit your heart away. Nesting creates project files out of what you have nested on the timeline to create a single clip. That is why I asked you about what is the file extension suffix. They have separate suffix for project, package, etc..

MMS/VPX can have multiple timelines, called Movies, within a Project. Nothing to do with nesting except for VPX.

I just posted above the screenshot that Pinnacle can do the same thing. I can save the entire project to a new name. Reopen it and everything is there. Each movie proj is an individual timeline clip. Want to expand one of them? There are 2 ways to do it. Select Sub Project or double click on it and it will appear expanded in a tab you can select on the timeline toolbar for you to edit. The Sub Project opens up an entirely new instance of Pinnacle if you want to work that way.

I see no difference in what you have explained to me. Remember, I beta tested the thing for over a decade so do know more than the tech support and what is written in the manual, what it can and cannot do. If it couldn't do what you say, I'd say it. I have no "dog" in this fight. Pinnacle is dead as a product. But Sub Projects have been around in Pinnacle since Avid Studio where I also was "behind the scenes" testing it. Avid Studio was released in 2011.

I can create a bluray too, but haven't burned anything in ages.

Now again, I have no "dog" in this fight. You are using a version of Pinnacle that is 3 years older than the last release. A lot changed in Pinnacle since you've used it. I am writing from actual experience with the software. And since it is no longer updated, I see no reason for anyone to spend money on it, unless it's like for $10, which it isn't.

Darn it... forgot to add this. I have a friend in South Africa. He also has Vegas Pro 22. We've been conversing a lot. I am his "test bed" for his projects. But what he wants to do mostly is something that while can be done in Vegas, you will spend time learning "how". On a Google Meet, I showed him my MMS 2024 Suite. Showed him the templates and how easy it was to create a title. Title creation is much easier and faster than in Vegas, BorisFX or NBFX for quick titles. Showed him how to keyframe and a couple of other simple things. I am by no means anything but an extremely novice user. He really liked it a lot, but his funds were limited. So I bought it for him MMS 2025 Suite from Sweetwater for $39.99 perpetual/new (until Sept 1). That's cheaper than buying it from Magix. He is like a kid on Christmas. I've directed him to this forum if he has any questions, saying that everyone here is extremely helpful and help him work through any issues he has.

browj2 wrote on 8/28/2024, 11:56 AM

@Reyfox

You still don't understand. Please try this in MMS.

Create a project like my example, call it seasons.

Rename the Movie tab to Summer.

Add some content to the Movie.

Click on the + beside the Movie tab to add a Movie. Rename it to Autumn. Add some content.

Click on the + beside the Movie tab to add a Movie. Rename it to Winter. Add some content.

Click on the + beside the Movie tab to add a Movie. Rename it to Spring. Add some content.

You now have create 4 separate timelines within 1 project.

Do you now understand?

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/28/2024, 12:05 PM

Yes. And again, I can do the exact same thing in PS26. But the nomenclature is different. That's all.

The difference is, I'd be creating everything within the project. Add what I want and next it, creating a new project. The results are exactly the same.

It's like how you use overlay in VPX/MMS and how I use it in Vegas. The results are exactly the same. The way to get there is different, that's all.

browj2 wrote on 8/29/2024, 7:04 AM

@Reyfox

I was interrupted by the wife. Just to be more clear, there is no nesting in the project that I described. There are 4 separate timelines, created in 1 project. Each was created within that 1 project and each can be worked on separately, exported to MP4 separately, exported as a Movie (single-project) file, and so on.

The difference is, I'd be creating everything within the project. Add what I want and next it, creating a new project. The results are exactly the same.

No, both the method and the results are different.

In PS, you have to create 4 separate projects, 1 per movie, not 1 project with 4 movies. This is not at all the same thing.

In PS, you can't create the 4 movies in 1 project. From your description, if I understand correctly, you are putting the contents of everything in 1 timeline in PS, not 4, and then "next it?" What do you mean by "next it?" Typo? The result is either 1 project with everything on 1 timeline, or 4 separate projects, or 1 project with 3 nested movies, not 1 project with 4 separate movies(timelines) that were all created in 1 project.

Until you try what I showed you MMS, you won't understand how it works and why it is a very useful feature.

EDIT: The simplest explanation is that it's the like working on multiple projects within 1 project, with one timeline for each. However and as I explained, there are more uses than just that.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 8/29/2024, 7:23 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/29/2024, 7:36 AM

@Reyfox

I was interrupted by the wife. Just to be more clear, there is no nesting in the project that I described. There are 4 separate timelines, created in 1 project. Each was created within that 1 project and each can be worked on separately, exported to MP4 separately, exported as a Movie (single-project) file, and so on.

I wrote:

No, both the method and the results are different.

Unless you've done it, you can not say that the results are different. I have.

In PS, you have to create 4 separate projects, 1 per movie, not 1 project with 4 movies. This is not at all the same thing.

Says who? You are parsing on wording here. It doesn't advance what you are saying. Again, I asked you what is the suffix of each Pinnacle Studio project file?

In PS, you can't create the 4 movies in 1 project. From your description, if I understand correctly, you are putting the contents of everything in 1 timeline in PS, not 4, and then "next it?" What do you mean by "next it?" Typo? The result is either 1 project with everything on 1 timeline, or 4 separate projects, or 1 project with 3 nested movies, not 1 project with 4 separate movies(timelines) that were all created in 1 project.

A nested movie in Pinnacle Studio IS a project in a Pinnacle Studio timeline. Again, the result is the same. You are really reaching here.

Until you try what I showed you MMS, you won't understand how it works and why it is a very useful feature.

You say I should try what you mentioned in MMS. Yes, I can do that, but can you try what I said in PS26? You are the one that is saying it is not the same.

EDIT: The simplest explanation is that it's the like working on multiple projects within 1 project, with one timeline for each. However and as I explained, there are more uses than just that.

And again, for the upteemth time, it is exactly the same in Pinnacle Studio. You can have multiple projects within 1 project and work on those "multiple" projects separating in that one project, each within it's own separate timeline, or AGAIN, within a separate instance of Pinnacle Studio, while still working in that "1" overseeing project.

And there are more uses than just that within Pinnacle Studio.

Tony

browj2 wrote on 8/29/2024, 7:49 AM

@Reyfox

Give me a step by step listing of how to create a project in PS23 with 4 movies that are created within that project, each with a different name, exactly like I gave you for MMS.

I said that "it's the like working on multiple projects within 1 project." This is not the same as having multiple projects open.

You say multiple projects within 1 project in PS. How? By nesting? Are the projects separate timelines that are created in 1 project in SP? If so, then how? Step by step.

I started project in PS23 called Test Seasons. I added some winter scenes. What do I click on to change the timeline so that it says that this if Winter? There is no Movie tab or timeline tab to have a name other that the project name as far as I can see. What do I click on to get a second timeline for Spring to be able to add the content? And so on, all within that one project. No separate projects, no multiple instances.

No multiple instances are required with VPX/MMS,

Did you do what I gave you in MMS? If not, do so.

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/29/2024, 9:57 AM

@browj2 PS23 and PS26 work differently and have different features. Right now I don't have to time to test in PS23 because we are heading out for vacation in a couple of days.

As for having multiple projects open at once, you have the tabs to go between the projects that are open in those tabs. Understand? Are they open all over the UI at once? No. But click on a tab, and presto, project is there for editing.

Your definition of nesting is different than what is in PS. It is different than what is in Vegas. So you can not blanketly use your definition across everything else. Like again, that word in video editing, "overlay". It means the same, implementation is different, but the end result is the same.

Again, you failed to watch the entire video where you can create projects out of what you have on the timeline, or bring in projects from your projects folder into the same project and keep on editing. By clicking on the tabs, the "movies" are expanded for further editing.

And you didn't read completely or I wasn't clear enough. You have a CHOICE to open in another instance of Pinnacle if you want. A CHOICE. One you don't have to take.

This video will help you understand. No, it's not comprehension on this topic, but enough to get you into understanding how Pinnacle works. I believe I've posted this before.....

It is not me questioning what you are saying, it is you that is questioning me and what I have written.

Also, read THIS

https://learn.corel.com/tutorials/pinnacle-nesting-clips/

browj2 wrote on 8/29/2024, 10:05 AM

@Reyfox

Quick reply before I head out.

I said no nesting. Just create 4 separate timelines with content within the same project. Nothing that you have described or shown in PS does that.

You are creating "projects out of what you have on the timeline." Or you are bringing in projects "from your projects folder into the same project and keep on editing." You are not creating separate timelines within the same project as I have shown for MMS/VPX; it is different.

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/29/2024, 10:21 AM

Is the result the same? Everything is edited in the same project and exported?

Ok... you win. I give up. Pinnacle does not operate the same, but the results are the same. To expect Pinnacle to operate the same way MMS does, makes it MMS and not Pinnacle.

johnebaker wrote on 8/29/2024, 10:52 AM

@browj2, @Reyfox

Hi John, Tony

My testing shows the following:

Nested projects

To all intents and purposes VPX and PS 23 and later versions, are the same, you can integrate different projects into a timeline and maintain the independence of each, including editing of the individual nested project being reflected in the project they are imported to.

Multiple timelines

There are potentially significant differences with these.  The proving of this is one thing I cannot test as I only have the trial version of PS26 however the proving is relatively easy.

In VPX add 2 or more saved projects to a new project, you will find that each Movie (timeline) is independent of the others in the same project.

In PS adding 2 or more saved projects nests them on one timeline, and if you double-click each you can independently see and edit them as individual timelines, however they are still nested.

Ie VPX :

is not the same as PS

Both the above created by importing individual projects.

Question:

Tony - can PS create a multi movie disc when burned to DVD or BD disc, ie each timeline is a complete and independent movie on disc, each having their own chapters etc, from 1 project as shown below

This would be a deal breaker for me.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Reyfox wrote on 8/30/2024, 8:57 AM

@johnebaker wrote:

Hi John, Tony

My testing shows the following:

Nested projects

To all intents and purposes VPX and PS 23 and later versions, are the same, you can integrate different projects into a timeline and maintain the independence of each, including editing of the individual nested project being reflected in the project they are imported to.

Correct. We are agreeing finally on something.

Multiple timelines

There are potentially significant differences with these.  The proving of this is one thing I cannot test as I only have the trial version of PS26 however the proving is relatively easy.

In VPX add 2 or more saved projects to a new project, you will find that each Movie (timeline) is independent of the others in the same project.

In PS adding 2 or more saved projects nests them on one timeline, and if you double-click each you can independently see and edit them as individual timelines, however they are still nested.

Ie VPX :

is not the same as PS

Both the above created by importing individual projects.

You can place the projects on separate tracks. They don't have to be in the same track, and you still have access to the tabs as you've shown before. And since each "project" has it's own name, placing them on the same timeline is the same as what you've shown. How are they "nested" if they are on the same timeline as what you've shown with VPX? You have 4 separate projects on the same timeline with tabs for each one by that are named "Movie 1, etc". you click on the tabs and you can edit that particular movie, correct? How is that different than having the actual name of the project? To me, the naming convention is different, that's all. Because the PS files are gray, we know that they are separate projects on the same timeline. They are not nested. Again, you will have to define what "nesting" is.

Question:

Tony - can PS create a multi movie disc when burned to DVD or BD disc, ie each timeline is a complete and independent movie on disc, each having their own chapters etc, from 1 project as shown below

This would be a deal breaker for me.

As for DVD's having separate ones with their menus in a single DVD I have no idea. I rarely tested the DVD function in PS since I didn't burn DVD's. I have nothing saved for authoring. PS also comes with an external DVD program, that again, I've never used.

browj2 wrote on 8/30/2024, 9:46 AM

@Reyfox

Hi,

Out of total frustration, I will do up a video.

In PS, you cannot create multiple movies from scratch in a project. You are grouping objects on your timeline and saving them as a Project. The group project becomes an object on your timeline - a nested object. The tab that is created for the grouped project is similar to a Movie in VPX, but not the same as it is related to an object on your timeline. This is why I say close.. but no cigar.

In VPX, you can create multiple movies. There doesn't have to be anything on the timeline when you create them. They are not created from objects on a "main" timeline. They are individual timelines. There is no nesting, unless you want to. Normally, no nesting. There is no "main" timeline or Movie, just timelines (Movies). They are separate timelines which are unrelated to each other.

Tony, since you haven't created a project in MMS as per what I told you. I will do it for you and post a video, but using VPX.

Look at the uses of multiple movies that I listed.

Till later,

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox wrote on 8/30/2024, 10:03 AM

@browj2

Off for vacation for the next couple of weeks. Heading to the mountains so internet will be spotty at best. Looking forward to your video.

But if I am understanding your correctly, you are starting a blank project, and can do it several times on a timeline. If that is the case, then you are correct, 2 year old Pinnacle can not do that directly. But it still can be done by dropping anything on the timeline and nest it to be edited later. A workaround? Yes, but if I understand you correctly, it still can be done, albeit a couple of more steps.

@johnebaker while the DVD authoring is a deal breaker for you. That's understandable. But there is more than just DVD authoring in NLE. I have several because right now, there is no "one that does it all" out there for me. I use the one that works with what I want to do. Ever do a split screen where you can customize how the screen looks? Or plugins? What about "magic mask"? Each editor brings something different to the table that another might not have.