Comments

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/12/2018, 10:26 AM

Im also having trouble, i've installed the program, and the video converter. But i wont get anywhere after that. I have the cable in scart, and in the computer. But it wont show up in the program later.

nickzb wrote on 10/12/2018, 11:01 AM

Sorry to hear that but slightly reassured I am not alone!! Do you have all connections with video player, i.e. scart and S-socket?

nickzb wrote on 10/12/2018, 11:02 AM

Please excuse simple questions - it's a reflection of me, not you.

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 2:27 AM

My vcr have scart, no s-socket tho. So i use the scart, and the red/white/yellow. then the usb into the computer.

But the connection between them wont show up in the "import from vcr" when i try it.

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 3:32 AM

@nickzb and @Lina-Andersson

Sorry you're having these problems and that no-one has been able to reply and help you.

I'm honestly not sure how much help I can give but my first question is, which exact version of Windows are you running and which exact version of Rescue Your Videotapes? I ask because I strongly suspect that your problems are caused by the fact that the driver needed by Windows to enable the OS to "see" your USB connection is either the wrong bittage (driver is, most likely 32 bit and your OS is most likely to be 64 bit) or that the driver itself is simply too old to be compatible with any very recent versions of Windows.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 3:37 AM

I bought this yesterday. Video saver! 8th edition. with the red/white converter. It says "Will work on windows 7,8 and 10"
I have windows 10 pro?
:(

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 4:02 AM

Yes, I have the same windows, and not sure which version of Video Saver. Possibly an earlier one than yours. But either way it should work. I don't personally know anyone who uses this - hence my appeal to the general community...

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 4:44 AM

@Lina-Andersson and @nickzb

Can you first of all confirm that your computers meet the minimum specification for using Rescue Your Videotapes, as found on this page, especially the fact that your Operating System must be 64 bit? Also, I see you both refer to Video Saver; can you confirm the program you have is actually Rescue Your Videotapes? There is also a Magix product called Video Easy but I don't think that's the product you have; there is actually no such product as Video Saver.

@nickzb, to discover exactly which version you have, if you open the program and check under "Help>About ..." you should see the exact version number.

Last changed by emmrecs on 10/13/2018, 4:48 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:00 AM

Well, first - thanks for your help and I can confirm that I definitely have the package called 'Rescue your Videotapes'. Now, I cannot recall whether my laptop is 32 or 64 bit, so will now check this. The laptop is less than 1 year old....

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:09 AM

OK. It is 64 bit.

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:21 AM

And the exact version of Rescue Your Videotapes?

If it is, as you suggested earlier, an "older" version it may well be 32 bit only and my original suggestion that the USB driver is the wrong bittage for your OS is the source of your problem.

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:32 AM

This is what i have, but with a red/white converter.

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:34 AM

And with installing the program and everything, i have a program called "MAGIX Video easy video saver"

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:36 AM

OK. I am trying to find something to identify the version; the best I can come up with is that the software is copyrighted to the year 2016. Does this make the software supplied compatible only with 432 bit computing systems?

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:40 AM

No, that can't be it as the manual specified a requirement of 64 bit. ah well

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:52 AM

@Lina-Andersson

This page shows the box etc. for the latest version of Video Easy. Your box is clearly different, possibly suggesting you actually have an older version. Where did you buy it?

@nickzb

As I wrote before, if you open the program, go to and click on "Help>About (Rescue Your Videotapes)" (the actual name of the program may or may not be there) normally at the top left of the screen which then opens you should find the version number.

A "2016" version may well be 32 bit only, though I can't be sure! Where on your computer are the actual program files installed? If they are in the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\ ..." the program is 32 bit. Windows 64 bit can run 32 bit programs but must have a 64 bit driver for the USB interface. OTOH, if the program is installed in "C:\Program Files\MAGIX\ ..." that implies it is a 64 bit program; in which case I am completely out of ideas!

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 5:58 AM

Im from sweden, and i bought it here. Im not sure if this is an old or new version. In a store called "Teknikmagasinet". The thing is i just came up with this idea to save some old home videos, because my father died this year, and i wanted to store some old videos, in case they will get broken in the future. So im very new to this. First time user.

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:00 AM

https://www.teknikmagasinet.se/produkter/gaming-data/pc-tillbehor/komponenter-tillbehor/magix-video-saver-8

This is where i found out about the product. And just went there to buy it!

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:05 AM

One or two other ideas for both of you.

Make sure your USB device is connected. Right-click the Windows icon, bottom left of your desktop, from the menu that opens choose "Device Manager". With that open look for "Image Devices"; do you see your interface device listed there? (I've posted below what is shown for my system. You will not see the same device; I have a professional analogue to digital convertor installed in my machine; that is what is shown in my screenshot):

If there is nothing shown there then I suspect Windows cannot see or use the device.

If the device is shown but is still not working I would suspect a faulty install of its driver. I'm guessing that any driver software for the device was installed at the same time as the program. If so, did you ensure the device was NOT connected to your computer whilst installing the software?  The reason for this question is because, if you connected the device before installing the correct driver Windows will have "attempted" to install a "generic" USB driver for the device; this will actively prevent the correct (Magix) driver being installed. In which case you will need to uninstall the wrong driver; I'll try and give you details on how to do this in a future post, if needed.

Last changed by emmrecs on 10/13/2018, 6:11 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:15 AM

@Lina-Andersson

Thank you for that link.

From reading that page, suitably translated by Google, and comparing it to the Magix product page I gave the link for earlier, yes I think your version is older. And the price is nearly double that of the current version! I realise this may be due to taxes etc. levied in Sweden but I would feel rather aggrieved that direct purchase from Magix is rather less costly!

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:23 AM

Well, maybe we are getting somewhere. And, incidentally, thank you for the effort. I have nothing under the heading 'image devices', In fact, even the heading is absent

nickzb wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:25 AM

I can't recall in what order I originally stored the software, but am willing to try the 'driver option'.

emmrecs wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:44 AM

@nickzb

Unfortunately, if you don't have "Image Devices" as an entry, the problem is NOT one of an incorrect driver install (I assume there's also nothing under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"?) In which case, Windows is just not seeing your device i.e. there is NO driver installed because, as far as Windows is concerned, your device does not exist!

One thing to try: again, first ensure your USB device is connected to your computer. In that same Device Manager screen, at the top do you see an icon which looks like a TV screen with a magnifying glass? Double-clicking that should start the procedure which "scans for hardware changes". Is you device now "seen"?

Lina-Andersson wrote on 10/13/2018, 6:44 AM

But why does my program show me a "Black" converter, when mine is red/white.

When i was looking through for some help in all the forums, i saw someone who had printscreened this also, and it showed a red/white converter in the program. Is that something?
And this is also where i end up, everytime. Nothing shows up here!