Reorder Audio/video tracks in Moview Studio 2022 Suite?

Comments

ericlnz wrote on 3/16/2022, 1:58 AM

Wedding photographers and wedding videographers are normally two sets of work groups

@CubeAce Actually I meant Wedding Videographers in my comment. I wasn't thinking of photographers at all.

CubeAce wrote on 3/16/2022, 6:54 AM

@ericlnz

You will get the firms that offer both but normally a set hourly rate for filming plus travel expenses, Formats, variations and lengths agreed upon and then editing time at an hourly rate and then duplication fees etc or a one off payment for a master copy after editing. Then on top of that they may want a pre-visit to the venues so they can get permission to video the wedding, (not all churches are happy about possible distractions from the ceremony and may only allow remote cameras.) position cameras etc. List of what must be included or whether they want more than one crew. (One to follow the bride and the other the groom) It depends on how far down the rabbit hole anyone wants to go. You may even have to work with a wedding planner and the best often do.

I have no idea how much gets spent at weddings now but my brother in law paid for 60 guests overnight accommodation at a country golf course.hotel and meals, had his wedding at a cathedral, coaches to ferry the guests between venues, a string quartet at the entrance to the reception, and a live band and disco. I have no idea of the make of car he had for the wedding but it was white, looked American 1930s, huge and running chromed exhausts and running boards with a bar at the back. I am now going back six years. I'm sure the photographer was the least of his expenses. No videography though.

Some of my snapshots of the day.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 3/16/2022, 7:06 AM, changed a total of 5 times.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.5011

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

OneHipSista wrote on 5/20/2022, 8:13 PM

Thanks to everyone for the tips/tricks. Your info does help. It just seems wasteful to have to drag track content to a different empty track to put things in a different hierarchy, rather than just re-ordering the tracks directly. That then leaves an unnecessarily empty track in its wake. I'm fine with the backwards order than I'm used to

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the flow of this Magix tool, but didn't realize it was a completely different product than the legacy Movie Studio products from Vegas when I purchased it. Didn't realize there would be nearly the learning curve, so will have to budget extra time to learn things differently than I've been doing for the last 8 or so years of Movie Studio. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess. Expect a bunch more questions in the future. :-)

For now, I think the to hardest things to relearn will be to re-learn that scrolling my mouse wheel no longer zooms in and out on the timeline, but rather only goes forwards and backwards. Have to ctrl-scroll to zoom in and out. Also, will have to take a bunch of repetition to remember that I have to click on the time section of the timeline to relocate my cursor. In legacy MS, I could click anywhere on any spot on a track on the timeline.

Thanks to everyone for the tips/tricks. Your info does help. It just seems wasteful to have to drag track content to a different empty track to put things in a different hierarchy, rather than just re-ordering the tracks directly. That then leaves an unnecessarily empty track in its wake. I'm fine with the backwards order than I'm used to

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the flow of this Magix tool, but didn't realize it was a completely different product than the legacy Movie Studio products from Vegas when I purchased it. Didn't realize there would be nearly the learning curve, so will have to budget extra time to learn things differently than I've been doing for the last 8 or so years of Movie Studio. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess. Expect a bunch more questions in the future. :-)

For now, I think the to hardest things to relearn will be to re-learn that scrolling my mouse wheel no longer zooms in and out on the timeline, but rather only goes forwards and backwards. Have to ctrl-scroll to zoom in and out. Also, will have to take a bunch of repetition to remember that I have to click on the time section of the timeline to relocate my cursor. In legacy MS, I could click anywhere on any spot on a track on the timeline.

Same here. Felt duped with the "upgrade." I don't mind learning new software however, no drag and drop to adjust layers seems... wrong. I like to manually sync video and imported audio so I look at the waveforms. Having them closer together would be useful without having to drag clips around - especially if I've painstakingly edited the timing. I use all kinds of design and music production software and this is... surprising. I'm also a fan of keystrokes for quick functions so.... I'll learn, but my time and patience are short.

browj2 wrote on 5/20/2022, 10:24 PM

@OneHipSista

Hi,

...no drag and drop to adjust layers seems...

There are no "layers" just tracks. Of course there is drag and drop, but not for tracks.

If you mean tracks, not layers, as in " It just seems wasteful to have to drag track content to a different empty track to put things in a different hierarchy, rather than just re-ordering the tracks directly" the solution was given. In 20 years of doing this, I have never needed to reorder tracks, only selected objects, vertically. Track hierarchy is important, you just don't go moving tracks around willy-nilly - that is a recipe for disaster for other parts of the timeline. If I need an object on a different track, I move the object or objects, not the track.

Remember, there are no video tracks, audio tracks, title tracks, adjustment tracks, parent tracks, child tracks, composite tracks or any other strange tracks in Magix Movie Studio - only tracks. You can put what you want on any of them (not that you should). You don't have to keep inserting tracks every time you want to put something on a new track - the tracks are already there.

I like to manually sync video and imported audio so I look at the waveforms. Having them closer together would be useful without having to drag clips around - especially if I've painstakingly edited the timing.

First, you can move objects from one track to another, straight up or down by holding down Shift and dragging. There is no change to timing. The location on the timeline is identical.

Second, Magix Movie Studio has a feature to synchronize audio tracks, meaning the audio part of one or more video clips with another one. Are you aware of this? It has always worked well for me.

If that doesn't work and you need 2 audio objects, one below the other to visually line up the waveforms and there is another object in that location, just insert a track below the track with the first audio object and move (Shift + drag) the other audio object onto the new track. Holding down shift restricts dragging to vertical, no horizontal movement. Done. No danger of messing up something else. Or, import the second audio object to that blank track at the location that you want and adjust from there.

Movie Studio has multiple ways to do the same thing, using the top menu, screen buttons, right-click menus and shortcuts. Learn the main shortcuts. You will see them in the menus and in the manual. You can open the Shortcut menu under File, Settings, to see them, and change some.

Magix Movie Studio has much more to offer than Vegas Movie Studio ever did. Take the time to learn, it's worth the effort. I suggest that you watch my tutorials on Basic Editing in Movie Edit Pro (same program as Magix Movie Studio).

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

OneHipSista wrote on 5/20/2022, 10:58 PM

@browj2 Hey John - thanks. Yes, I meant tracks. Most of the creative software I use is essentially a composite of layers, which makes this software counter-intuitive for me. I'm an occasional user at this point so I'll stick with my old version for now or learn Premiere Pro, which is probably better for my CC workflow, as time permits. Also, I recognize you are a guru and advocate for the software, but condescension is off-putting. I appreciate your tips though. Cheers.

Chuck-Johnson wrote on 1/24/2024, 12:20 AM

The simple, 2 or 3 second duration method of clicking the header of a track and, then, dragging it higher or lower within the hierarchy, so that an image, movie, text or whatever is now above or below another image, movie, text or whatever just made sense. It had been in typical use since I began with Movie Studio 14. So far, there has been no reasonable reason given for removing such an effective and simple method of moving the whole track up or down, no matter if the base or background is the top, bottom or middle track. Too much of the MAGIX offerings behave as though it was designed by the basic principle of my bros don't use that part so ditch it.

CubeAce wrote on 1/24/2024, 1:43 AM

@Chuck-Johnson

Hi Chuck.

Welcome to the user to user forums.

You are under a misconception that Movie Studio is still a Vegas product built upon Vegas programming. It isn't. That may well be the fault of the Magix parent company that bought out Vegas to allow it to continue to develop is Pro line of products. It Still exists and works the same way but they could not afford to continue to develop the studio version so they dropped it. Magix therefore in their wisdom decided to rebrand it's own Movie Edit Pro and call it Movie Studio and offer it as an alternative. A point that at the time they did not effectively get across.

If you want keep you old workflow it is available in the Vegas range but not the Magix range of editors.

Ray.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

johnebaker wrote on 1/24/2024, 7:11 AM

@Chuck-Johnson

Hi

. . . . So far, there has been no reasonable reason given for removing such an effective and simple method of moving the whole track up or down . . . .

I would suggest you read this post first, to clear up any misconceptions with respect to Vegas Movie Studio (VMS) becoming Magix Movie Studio (MMS).

Assuming you are referring to Magix Movie Studio and not Vegas Movie Studio, the method for arranging tracks up/down is different and is not intuitive.

The method posted above, by John CB, moving objects is much easier and less prone to creating issues.

As @CubeAce has commented if you prefer the workflow of VMS then you should consider Vegas Pro, you should be able to get this at the upgrade price, as you appear to already have/use VMS 15.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 1/24/2024, 8:07 AM

@Chuck-Johnson

Hi,

The simple, 2 or 3 second duration method of clicking the header of a track and, then, dragging it higher or lower within the hierarchy, so that an image, movie, text or whatever is now above or below another image, movie, text or whatever just made sense. 

I can understand the usefulness of having a feature like this, but I have pointed out the pitfalls. Magix Movie Studio (MMS) has several main differences in the interface. MMS has many tracks available where as in VMS, you have to keep inserting/adding them. In MMS, tracks with nothing on them can readily be identified as they are darker in colour, whereas tracks with something on them are a lighter grey. Next, MMS has no special tracks; you can put whatever you want on a track - titles, images, videos, and audio, all on the same track. If you do this and you want to just move titles to a different track number, you would have to select only the titles and move them - moving the entire track would not help.

In MMS, if you want to move everything that is on a track to another track, or everything from one particular object to the end, then switch to mouse mode for a track (shortcut 8), select the first object and all others to the right will be highlighted, then drag to another track. Alternatively, use Shift drag to restrict horizontal movement. So, you can quickly move some or all of the objects on a track to another one. However, you may want to make sure first that you are not messing up something else by doing so. As I mentioned in my previous thread, moving an entire track or just all objects on a track, could mess up other parts of the timeline where you don't want this to happen.

In any event, it takes only couple of seconds to simply insert a track, switch mouse modes (don't forget to switch back to single object mouse mode shortcut 6), and drag everything from one track to the new track.

In the following video, I demonstrate the above. Note that MMS will put titles automatically on track 3 unless instructed otherwise. But, I put image overlays on track 3 and I want the overlay to stay there. I want just the titles to move, so moving the entire track downwards is not an option.

There are many differences in the way that the two programs work. There are a few features of VMS that are not in MMS that would be nice to have, but there are many features that MMS has that VMS did not have, and even Vegas Pro does not have.

Look at the list in this message of things that I would miss by not using Video Pro X (many of which are also features of MMS).

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Chuck-Johnson wrote on 1/24/2024, 8:27 AM

@Chuck-Johnson

Hi Chuck.

Welcome to the user to user forums.

You are under a misconception that Movie Studio is still a Vegas product built upon Vegas programming. It isn't. That may well be the fault of the Magix parent company that bought out Vegas to allow it to continue to develop is Pro line of products. It Still exists and works the same way but they could not afford to continue to develop the studio version so they dropped it. Magix therefore in their wisdom decided to rebrand it's own Movie Edit Pro and call it Movie Studio and offer it as an alternative. A point that at the time they did not effectively get across.

If you want keep you old workflow it is available in the Vegas range but not the Magix range of editors.

Ray.

Hello Ray, Thank you for your reply am under no such misconception. I do agree that Magix failed to make it clear that the rebranding of Movie Studio also meant that most of the Vegas format would not be in use. Being as I have used Vegas Movie Studio since V.14, I did expect many of the standard methods of using the software to be similar. Not all of course. I can say that I am finding much to enjoy so far about 2024 Movie Studio Suite. But also, that they managed to keep in place the typical failures of the old system when it comes to activating and using the bonus content.

CubeAce wrote on 1/24/2024, 12:17 PM

@Chuck-Johnson

Hi Chuck.

I apologise for being presumptuous.

Personally I find the programs to be chalk and cheese in use so can understand the amount of frustration in the differences in workflow. But basically they come from two different development teams connected only by acquisition. If you want to stay with Vegas but not for the prices advertised, every now and then Vegas Pro (previous to current edition) can be had for around $20 from Humblebundle. The offers come about twice a year.

The programs are able to be added to your Magix account and can be used for upgrade offers later if needed.

Ray.