Driver installation for MAGIX K0065 (Windows 10 64-bit)

Comments

AdrianW wrote on 6/13/2020, 12:14 PM

... It worked. Managed to capture some video.

But then when I rewound the tape, the video player seemed to have a catastrophic failure and now won't even let me eject the tape!?!

I don't think I can blame the video grabber for that ;P
But it is rather frustrating.

Alxcos wrote on 6/14/2020, 7:19 AM

Hi @AdrianW

The issue with old VCR’s is that the quality of the internal rubber driving belts gets so loose in time and you can get so unlucky with your memories stored on those lovely tapes.
to remove a jammed tape from within the camcorder without damaging the tape is tricky and it involves dismantling the camcorder until you can manually unwind the jammed tape. It’s not easy and risky for both the camcorder and tape. Unless you have the skills for these miniaturized electronics I would not recommend doing this by yourself. Doing this is at your own risk. However, if you decide to try, you will first need to remove first the batteries or the power adapter or the mains electrical supply. Then remove the cover by unscrewing those tiny screws but place these on a matt in the same position you have removed them. When you remove the cover of the VCR you can see the tape jammed inside. Try to unjammed by removing the pressure between the capstan with the steel spindle which has caught your tape. Try not to touch with bare fingers the tape or the player heads. It will get stained with the moisture or grease from your hands. Once you manage to release the pressure, your tape tray will/might pop up with the tape inside and the tape will still be caught inside twisted arround the capstan (a small driving rubber cylinder). With care you can slack it and unwinding it. The tape you can manually rewind it with care back into the case if you will press un the unlock point on the tape case with a pen. After you will inspect the rubber driving belts and replace the loose ones (if you can find on the Radioshack or other same shops) it will be a good occasion to remove the dust using a dust spray can and box all back in the reverse order. A wet cleaning tape will close the cleaning task. I had to do the same after my todler has fed the VCR with toast and strawberry jam and unknowingly I had insert one VCR tape ontop of the “unchewed” toast. The VCR was not happy! However my son was laughing. So it was a kind of win-win situation I still remember with my son. Now he is 23 years old and had the engineer’ skills I had. Well he had a lor of demonstrations on these kind of repairs from me untill he started to repair his own toys! Well, @AdrianW good luck with your “homework” if you choose to give it a try. Else, try to find an electronics repair shop to get your tape removed.

AdrianW wrote on 8/23/2020, 7:57 AM

@Alxcos

A rather late update but I thought I would post my trial and tribulations here ;P

After a bit of Googling I ended up taking the cover off and taking a look inside. I managed to unloop the tape and when I pressed eject, with a bit of encouragement the tape ejected.

"Hurrah!" I thought. "Let's try again"

After playing the tape for a while trying out the recording, I rewound the tape and the player failed again. This time showing an error number. After that, even after turning the player off and on again, the tape head would just spin for a few seconds, stop, the error would appear and then the player became completely unresponsive to any buttons. i.e. Pressing eject didn't even start any attempt to eject.

I played about with it for a while always getting the same behaviour and then gave up for the night. The next day, when I turned it on, the tape ejected?!?

One more go....

A period of it working. A fast forward. Back to dead machine. This time still didn't work next day.

I put a request on nextdoor.co.uk and get another old battered player. Turn out that this one only plays sound. The video is just black and white lines suggesting that there was once an image.

A few days later I try the first one again out of desperation. It works!?!

By now I'm working on the theory that it's rewinding/fast forwading the tape which cases the player to give up. So I start making my recordings but relying on the second player to rewind the tape after I'm done with each.

This works until I come to one really long tape which I end up leaving to finish and it gets to the end and starts auto-rewinding. Stuck player. Grrr!!!

A few weeks later I find an old player in the loft as I'm clearing out. This one doesn't work at all. I can't remember what the actual problem was. But by this point I've rather given up on old VHS hardware. :(

AdrianW wrote on 8/23/2020, 8:02 AM

The long and short of it is that with the correct drivers the Magix managed to successfully convert my videos.

It has a tendency to make things a little green but that seems a small price to pay for preserving some videos that were obviously beginning to deteriorate.

Matias-Menp wrote on 11/16/2020, 12:08 PM

Hi!

I seem to have same sort of problem. I get the signal from vcr to program, but when I start to save the video, preview screen goes black and nothing is transferred. Even though the transfer seems to start.

I have tried to install drivers again as advised here, but it doesn't seem to work.

johnebaker wrote on 11/16/2020, 2:31 PM

@Matias-Menp

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We need more information:

1. which program and version number as found under Help, About you are using

2. the colour and any markings or model of the USB capture device

3. the cable you are using and how you are connecting it - if one end is a SCART connector does it have an in/out selection switch

4. what inputs you are selecting in the program

5. Your computer specification may also help - see this topic for details of what is required.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Matias-Menp wrote on 11/17/2020, 12:54 AM

Hi and thank you.

1. MAGIX Video easy Rescue Your Videotapes 6.0.2.31

2. Black K0065

3. SCART with in/out selection and RCA/Composite to USB

4. Composite

5. Huawei MateBook D 14, Win 10 Home 64bit, version 1909 (18363.1198)

AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD NTFS

-Matias

johnebaker wrote on 11/17/2020, 5:30 AM

Hi Matias

Check the following:

1. you have 32 bit drivers for the K0065 installed.
  2. in Windows that the program has permissions to access microphone and camera
  3. the Scart is switched to Out and use the three RCA cinch connectors, or if the cable and SCART have S-Video connectors and you are using these select S-Video as the input in the program.
  4. your Antivirus Ransomware/Folder protection is not preventing the program writing to the folder where you are recording to - if it is you will have to add an exception to your AV, how you do this depends on which AV you are using.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

emmrecs wrote on 11/17/2020, 5:51 AM

@johnebaker

Did you mean to write, you have 64 bit drivers ... installed? Or am I missing something very obvious?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 11/17/2020, 7:08 AM

@emmrecs

Hi Jeff

. . . . Did you mean to write, you have 64 bit drivers ... installed . . . .

Good point Jeff I was assuming that this was RYVT 6, which was not the same as Video Easy 6, and on double checking comes with the red/white converter.

I wonder if, what were 2 programs, are now one as Video Easy is now 'Sold out'

@Matias-Menp

Hi

. . . . Video easy Rescue Your Videotapes 6.0.2.31. . . .

If the program is Video Easy 6 then you do need 64 bit drivers for the K0065 - where did you get the drivers from that you re-installed.

Apologies for the confusion.

John EB

Matias-Menp wrote on 11/17/2020, 8:39 AM

Hi.

I have tried everything suggested earlier, but it won't help. I still get video playing, so the signal is coming, but as soon as I start to record, it stops. The windows also makes a sound like usb-device is unplugged.

I downloaded the drivers from Magix website https://www.magix.info/us/support/article/installation-procedure-magix-video-converter--710/

What i bought from Magix website was "MAGIX Rescue Your Videotapes!", but this what this it what it says help,about

I have made a request to magix support and they sent a link where to download latest drivers and same advice about installation already given here. The link didn't work anyway, so I'm kind of back at the beginning.

edit. And I have a black converter.

graham-seaman wrote on 4/26/2021, 12:04 PM

Hello all,

A bit of news back to report. After raising this with Magix, it turns out that the following settings need to be on:

• Settings->Privacy->Microphone->Allow desktop apps to access your microphone
  • Settings->Privacy->Camera->Allow desktop apps to access your camera

Once these were switched on, and with a fresh install...success! It seems that Microsoft Windows 10 counts the Video input device as a Microphone and Camera, so if the above settings are switched off, it blocks any access to the device.

@johnebaker

After an update, I have version 6.0.2.31(UDP3)

I had exactly the same issues on my Win10 laptop and also my main desktop PC. Recently I had been streamlining some of the background processes off to enable my DAW's to work better when producing music, and part of this process if to switch off the camera and mike in the privacy settings as described above. Once I switched these settings back, the Magix video grabber began to work immediately once again, even without an uninstall / reinstall being required. I also have a separate stand-by USB2.0 video grabber using Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0, and even this worked first time with the laptop as well! Just going to repeat the process on my desktop PC and then I should be all good to go once again! That'll teach me for not thinking ahead!! ;-)