Why am I suddenly glitching?

Eva-Wilhelm wrote on 3/9/2022, 4:30 PM

I am an audiobook narrator (record at 44,100; 16 bit; mono) and I got a new Dell XPS laptop in January to replace my elderly Asus. Since then, I've been having issues with glitches appearing seemingly randomly in my recordings. I never realize that it's happening when I'm recording--it sounds fine in my headphones--but when it goes through QC, the person who listens to the whole book is finding them. My new computer is running Windows 11. The glitches have happened in both Sound Forge Audio Studio and Sound Forge Pro 15. This never happened to me even once before, and I've been recording for ten years now, so I know it's something about the new laptop, but I can't figure it out! Originally I thought it was because I was accidentally recording to the cloud when I first got the new computer set up, but I changed it to record it to the C drive instead, and that didn't help. I use a Roland Quad Capture interface with my mic, and I've changed the buffer on the Quad Capture to 10, which also didn't solve it. I was using a USB hub (the Dell has no USB ports--only thunderbolt--so I had both my interface and my mouse dongle connected into a USB hub, which then plugged into one of the thunderbolt ports), but I stopped using the hub, got a bluetooth mouse, and am now just using a USB/thunderbolt converter for the interface cord, and that didn't help. I'm at my wits' end. I'm about to try replacing the cord that runs between my interface and my laptop, but that seems like a stretch. I don't want to also have to replace my interface, which I suppose would be my next step, unless I know that it's actually the problem. Can anyone suggest anything? I'm tearing out my hair!

EDITED TO ADD: I've uploaded an mp3 of four glitches happening in a row, and a screenshot of the wave form. (The glitch is right before the marker. It's actually not super-easy to see.)

Comments

Walter.I wrote on 3/10/2022, 2:36 AM

@Eva-Wilhelm
Maybe it would be helpful if you could upload a sound snippet (dropbox or something) so that one can get a (hearing) picture of the interference.

Last changed by Walter.I on 3/10/2022, 2:36 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

rraud wrote on 3/10/2022, 10:17 AM

Maybe it would be helpful if you could upload a sound snippet (dropbox or something)

A screen shot of the waveform my offer a clue as well
Have you tried a different interface? You can also try resetting the SFP and AS.. though I am not sure that will help since it happens in both SFP and SFAS. I suspect a sound interface or a Win 11 issue. You may want to request a support Magix Sound Forge Tech Support ticket

Requesting support is a little confusing, see the cheat sheet from a related topic:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/unable-to-record--1272206/#ca1661047

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Eva-Wilhelm.

Eva-Wilhelm wrote on 3/11/2022, 6:26 AM

@Eva-Wilhelm
Maybe it would be helpful if you could upload a sound snippet (dropbox or something) so that one can get a (hearing) picture of the interference.

Great idea. Should have thought to do it before. I've uploaded an mp3 and a picture of the wave form. Thanks for weighing in--I appreciate it!

Eva-Wilhelm wrote on 3/11/2022, 6:33 AM

Maybe it would be helpful if you could upload a sound snippet (dropbox or something)

A screen shot of the waveform my offer a clue as well
Have you tried a different interface? You can also try resetting the SFP and AS.. though I am not sure that will help since it happens in both SFP and SFAS. I suspect a sound interface or a Win 11 issue. You may want to request a support Magix Sound Forge Tech Support ticket

Requesting support is a little confusing, see the cheat sheet from a related topic:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/unable-to-record--1272206/#ca1661047

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Eva-Wilhelm.

I haven't reset either SFP or SFAS since it's been happening in both programs. I'm working on replacing all my cords now, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to replace my interface next, I guess. Part of what's so frustrating is that I have no idea when it's happening--everything sounds fine as I'm recording--so I can't even guess what the issue is. The waveforms don't always look particularly dramatic to me--either a stiff drop off or a stiff climb, but nothing that I can see and identify if I don't already know it's there--but I am not an engineer on any level, so what do I know?

I've uploaded both an mp3 and a screenshot of the waveform. I've also requested help from Tech Support, though I so appreciate you walking me through it!

johnebaker wrote on 3/11/2022, 6:38 AM

@Eva-Wilhelm

Hi

. . . .  I've uploaded an mp3 and a picture of the wave form . . . .

Where to? You have not posted any links to the mp3 file, the image you can post in a comment here - use the blue icon with an upward pointing white arrow to upload an image - jpg or png format.

. . . .  I'll have to replace my interface next . . . .

What make model and are using the device manufacturers drivers or allowing Windows to install them?

How is it connect to the the laptop?

Other details of your system, eg the whole setup chain from microphone (make model) to laptop, external audio devices used for output (listening), the recording inputs/outputs set in Sound Forge and the audio chipset if using in the laptop and any external audio card/device used for output.

Also check that all Windows Enhance audio  option is turned off in Windows settings, System, Sound, Output settings.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/11/2022, 6:52 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Walter.I wrote on 3/11/2022, 2:35 PM

. . . .  I've uploaded an mp3 and a picture of the wave form . . . .

Where to? You have not posted any links to the mp3 file, the image you can post in a comment here -

@johnebaker
Look in the first post - @Eva-Wilhelm has embedded it there.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

rraud wrote on 3/11/2022, 3:18 PM

You must upload the file(s) that have the glitches to a file sharing site like DropBox, GoogleDrive, OneDrive, pCloud, Mega, 4Shared or WeTransfer. Aside from Dropbox (which sucks anyway IMO), most give you up to 15GB of storage for free. Files uploaded to WeTransfer are temporary (seven days or so as i recall). Most have a desktop software option and a smart phone app.

johnebaker wrote on 3/12/2022, 12:45 AM

@Walter.I, @Eva-Wilhelm

Hi

Thanks for the heads up - was not expecting it to be there.

By convention the links should have been in the later comment that the file had been uploaded.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/12/2022, 12:46 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.