Which time stretcher should I use?

beth-hall wrote on 10/20/2021, 11:55 AM

I have Samplitude ProX 6. What is the difference between the time stretcher in Object Effects and Offline Effects? Is there a justification to use one over the other?

I did find that using Offline Effects to adjust the tempo of a track solved an old problem of the occasional track corrupting (hiss, skipped beats, etc.) on tempo adjustment. I don't know why it would matter.

Comments

SP. wrote on 10/20/2021, 12:23 PM

@beth-hall The online effect is computed while playing back which needs more computing power (for playback + effects). Offline effects are computed before playback so you need less computing power for just the playback. If your systems struggles with larger projects you can freeze complete tracks into an audio file. This will render all effects as offline effects. Just unfreeze them after the playback to be able to edit them again.

beth-hall wrote on 10/20/2021, 2:09 PM

Can you explain "freeze complete tracks into an audio file?"

SP. wrote on 10/20/2021, 3:03 PM

@beth-hall

Here is a screenshot of Samplitude Music Studio. It is similar in Pro X.

If you freeze a track all your audio files, MIDI files, VST effects, automation of this track etc. will be rendered into a single audio file. This means your CPU doesn't need to calculate it while playing back which saves a lot of resources.

If you think that one track is finished and doesn't need changes you can just freeze it to lower the load on your system. It is basically the same as exporting a single track as an audio file and reimporting it into your project. If you unfreeze the track all objects, effects etc. will reappear and you can edit them again.

This didn't happen to me but sometimes Samplitude will not save VST plugin settings correctly and they will get lost after reloading a project. I think this happens with some VST3 plugins. In this case it is recommended to freeze every track before saving the project as a workaround because the frozen tracks have all your settings rendered into an audio file. If you load the project and unfreeze the tracks the VST settings should be restored correctly.

beth-hall wrote on 10/20/2021, 3:58 PM

Thank you. I really appreciate the explanation.