What are the all the BPMs for all the genres / styles?

MovieMusicFan wrote on 6/14/2012, 3:50 AM

Hi,

I have been trying to gather a list of all the different BPMs so I know what sounds go best with what I'm trying to make. That's when I discovered that not all of my packs and pools have the BPM.ini file in the folder and they don't load properly into MMMX. I need the tempo info so I can write my own BPM.ini file for the folder. Does anyone have a list of all the BPMs for the different styles? I'm sure a full list would help everyone out.

I already have a few listed:

Movie Score / Film Score = 80 BPM, Ambient = 80 BPM, Hip Hop = 90 BPM, Chillout = 90 BPM, Downbeat Electronica = 110 BPM, Electro Pop = 115 BPM, Blues = 120 BPM, Rock Alternative = 120 BPM, Minimal Tech-House = 125 BPM, Techno Trance = 135 BPM.

I'm looking for Crossover and Dance House, specifically. The rest of the list would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments

nihon94 wrote on 6/14/2012, 5:03 AM

Hi,

Atlleast someone asked a good question. May be you did not refer Magix Music Tutorial section. I have already made some tutorial. Unfortunately regarding BPM I did not add in the tutorial whose link is given below a kind of pending matter. In the tutorial I have added the Soundpool,number of instruments, Genres etc. As I do got those Soundpool therefore, finding BPM is not difficult for me but take some time. Or I can add new Tutorial with BPM details.

http://www.magix.info/us/soundpool-dvd-9-18-title-and-genres.online-training.774091.html

I will also suggest check this tutorial too because I did not understand the part you want to make new BPM ini file.

http://www.magix.info/us/understanding-soundpool.online-training.771235.html

I will be glad if I could help you in any way only if that is possible.

nihon94

Hi,

I have been trying to gather a list of all the different BPMs so I know what sounds go best with what I'm trying to make. That's when I discovered that not all of my packs and pools have the BPM.ini file in the folder and they don't load properly into MMMX. I need the tempo info so I can write my own BPM.ini file for the folder. Does anyone have a list of all the BPMs for the different styles? I'm sure a full list would help everyone out.

I already have a few listed:

Movie Score / Film Score = 80 BPM, Ambient = 80 BPM, Hip Hop = 90 BPM, Chillout = 90 BPM, Downbeat Electronica = 110 BPM, Electro Pop = 115 BPM, Blues = 120 BPM, Rock Alternative = 120 BPM, Minimal Tech-House = 125 BPM, Techno Trance = 135 BPM.

I'm looking for Crossover and Dance House, specifically. The rest of the list would also be helpful.

Thanks!

smartsmurf wrote on 6/14/2012, 11:11 AM

But then you have almost every bpm information you need...

Crossover... I think that depends on what styles of musik you like to cross.

Dance House... House Music in general is a style of music to dance to... and its bpm range goes from 120 - 130 (Wiki)... all the information you need you'll also find out by listening to much of your prefered music genre and search the internet for historical backgrounds (esp. for electronic music...)

smartsmurf wrote on 6/14/2012, 11:14 AM

Techno/Trance   140 bpm

Goa Trance  140 bpm (or more)

Drum 'n' Bass  160 bpm 

...and so on...  

Procyon wrote on 6/14/2012, 12:04 PM

You didn't say which version of MMM you're asking about.  We have to assume when you talk about "styles", you're specifically referring to MAGIX soundpool styles.

You're right in that not all of the soundpool styles are marked as to BPM.  To find the BPM, and other information, about any soundpool object, right-click on the object in the media pool and click on Properties.

You need to be aware that, unless the feature has been turned off, all soundpool objects will automatically match the tempo (BPM) of the arrangement no matter what their named BPM is.  This applied ONLY to soundpool objects and any other sound files that you have assigned a "beat" (BPM) to using the beat/measure function.

The default arrangement tempo is 120 BPM.  With the tempo/BPM adaptation function ON, the arrangement will change, and set to, the first soundpool object imported into the arrangement.

The best way to set the arrangement tempo to one that you choose is to...

1. Import a soundpool item with a BPM that matches the tempo you want for the arrangement.

2. Create a simple rhythm track using BeatBox 2 and then set the arrangement tempo to the desired setting.

Then, all other soundpool objects will automatically adjust to match the arrangement tempo that you've set.

MovieMusicFan wrote on 6/15/2012, 4:31 AM

Hi, guys! Thanks for all the great replies!

Procyon: I have Music Maker MX (MMMX). Styles / genres: those nifty categories that the sound packs and pools come in from Catooh. (ie: Blues, Electro Pop, Jazz, etc.) When I go to Catooh, they have a rather large list of them to pick and choose from. Those are what I'm talking about. I haven't been at this long enough to know where all the smart people go for their loop fix (other than Catooh, of course).  

smartsmurf: all of the styles / genres / categories seem to have a typical BPM that they play at. My fave, Movie Score, is all at 80 BPM. Techno Trance tends to be at 135 BPM. Sure, there's a range, but there seems to be one golden number that they have more than others. That's what I was looking for. That golden number that says "I'm probably a Blues song" or "I'm likely Rock Alternative", etc. 

nihon94: Thank you very much for the tutorial links. I've slowly been working my way through the list and had not gotten to those ones yet. I will head for them right away. Domo arigato gozaimas. 

Thank you all very much. You guys are great!

nihon94 wrote on 6/15/2012, 5:35 AM

Hi, guys! Thanks for all the great replies!

Procyon: I have Music Maker MX (MMMX). Styles / genres: those nifty categories that the sound packs and pools come in from Catooh. (ie: Blues, Electro Pop, Jazz, etc.) When I go to Catooh, they have a rather large list of them to pick and choose from. Those are what I'm talking about. I haven't been at this long enough to know where all the smart people go for their loop fix (other than Catooh, of course).  

smartsmurf: all of the styles / genres / categories seem to have a typical BPM that they play at. My fave, Movie Score, is all at 80 BPM. Techno Trance tends to be at 135 BPM. Sure, there's a range, but there seems to be one golden number that they have more than others. That's what I was looking for. That golden number that says "I'm probably a Blues song" or "I'm likely Rock Alternative", etc. 

nihon94: Thank you very much for the tutorial links. I've slowly been working my way through the list and had not gotten to those ones yet. I will head for them right away. Domo arigato gozaimas. 

Thank you all very much. You guys are great!

You surprised me. You know Japanese good.

Douitashimashite(welcome)

smartsmurf wrote on 6/15/2012, 9:43 AM

I understand what you 're asking... but I don't understand the meaning of your question...

Yes... there seems to be a golden rule... but on the other hand there is not...

since a bpm of 120 could mean... it's either Jazz... or Deep House / Minimal...

So there seems to be more than the bpm to catagorize a music genre.

MovieMusicFan wrote on 6/15/2012, 3:22 PM

I understand what you 're asking... but I don't understand the meaning of your question...

Yes... there seems to be a golden rule... but on the other hand there is not...

since a bpm of 120 could mean... it's either Jazz... or Deep House / Minimal...

So there seems to be more than the bpm to catagorize a music genre.

You're absolutely right. I'm sorry to be so confusing. Let me try to explain.

I have many different BPM for several styles and there are several styles that have the same BPM as each other. Ambient and Movie Score both tend to major in 80 BPM. Techno Trance seems to range between 125 and 145 BPM. But there seems to be one number that typifies the style.

I have 5 Movie Score soundpools (from Catooh) and they are all at 80 BPM. The only Blues soundpool is all at 120 BPM. I have three Techno Trance soundpools and 2/3 of what I have is at 135 BPM. I have three Rock Alternative and almost all of it is at 120 BPM. So, I assumed that there is one BPM rate that is the most frequently used for a specific style. A sort of golden number. That's what I was looking for.

Thank you again for all your interest in the question. I think I've probably got most of the ones I'd ever use.  

Procyon wrote on 6/15/2012, 6:28 PM

All of what's been said here is true to a point.  It would also be wise to understand one thing...

MMM (and the associated CATOOH soundpools, etc.) was designed so that anyone, no matter how little musical knowledge and experience they have, can feel the satisfaction of making music.  So, the more "standardized" they can make it, the better.  It also facilitates some of the functions of MMM, such as the ability to create a song with one push of a button, the Remix Agent, etc.

hidden-a85 wrote on 4/21/2015, 11:31 PM

dub/reggae: 60-90 bpm
downtempo/chillout: 90-120 bpm
deep house: 120-125 bpm
house: 120-130 bpm
tech house: 120-130 bpm
electro house: 125-130 bpm
progressive house: 125-130 bpm
trance: 130-135 bpm
dubstep: 130-145 bpm
techno: 130-150 bpm
hard house: 145-150 bpm
jungle: 155-180 bpm
drum and bass: 165-185 bpm
hardcore/gabber: 160-200 bpm
some tracks do not have a mathematical time indication like this trance track which its 140BPM

https://soundcloud.com/hiddenarmor/hidden-armor-maneuver