Waveform Analysis & Amplitude

Greg-Gingerich wrote on 4/21/2021, 6:14 AM

I am using Audio Cleaning Lab 2016 on my Asus laptop running Windows 10. I am working in voice over and have very specific numeric parameters that I need to adhere to (eg Peak Amplitude no less than -3dB. Totals RMS Power between -18 & -30 dB). Where in my software do I find these values concerning my recorded waveform? The 'dials' have no precise numbers. Also is 'compression' available, so that I can bring my lows up and my highs down? I acknowledge the 'user friendly' interface, but I need to see precise numbers. Thank you.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 4/21/2021, 7:39 AM

@Greg-Gingerich

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

First, I am not sure why this should have happened, but I have just hidden an exact duplicate post from "FormerUser". Was that post created by you and then the account through which it was posted was closed?

However, in answer to your question: no version of Audio Cleaning Lab is capable of the type of analysis and settings that you are asking for, I think. You really need to be using a dedicated Audio Editor of rather more sophistication than ACL. On my computer I would use Adobe Audition for this kind of task.

I don't know whether the full Sound Forge Pro offers the features you need. Hopefully a user of that software will be able to advise, so I'll tag @rraud so that he is aware of this thread.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Greg-Gingerich wrote on 4/21/2021, 8:05 AM

Emmrecs, thank you. Yes, the duplicate post was mine - I used the wrong email initially, deleted the account and started over. Well, I am both thankful for and unhappy with your response, though I suspected as much after a fairly thorough examination of my software. Now I can cease pushing to make the camel go through the needle’s eye; it can’t do it. I think I shall post a question to the Sound Forgers. My ACL gives me the option to ‘upgrade’ to Sound Forge 3 for, like $48. If it does what I need, I would rather continue with the devil I know. I have been using ACL in a different capacity since, I think, the late 90’s. I currently have both the 2005 and 2016 version loaded up. Again, thanks for your time. Peace.

emmrecs wrote on 4/21/2021, 8:11 AM

@Greg-Gingerich

The latest version of both Sound Forge Pro and Sound Forge Audio Studio is 15, so an "upgrade" to SF 3 may not either be realistic or indeed, possible, assuming you are running the software under Windows.

However, mention of SF 3 makes me wonder whether you actually have a Mac? If so, please read this post about the fact that any recent build of MacOS will NOT run the latest release of SF MAC.

Thanks also for the confirmation about those duplicate posts; I will delete them.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Greg-Gingerich wrote on 4/21/2021, 8:13 AM

Not Mac. Not prejudiced against it though. Just not right now.

emmrecs wrote on 4/21/2021, 8:48 AM

@Greg-Gingerich

Just to take this discussion a little further, perhaps.

If ACL 2016 can use VST plugins there are (usually paid for) plugins that can be used to analyse audio levels etc, such as those manufactured by iZotope.

HTH

Last changed by emmrecs on 4/21/2021, 8:49 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

browj2 wrote on 4/21/2021, 8:59 AM

@Greg-Gingerich

Hi,

Your ACL 2016 does not have access to VST plugins, I presume, whereas SFACL does. I have SFACL 1, not 3.

I suggest that you download and install the trial version.

When you pay, you get iZotope Ozone 9 Elements which has an RMS readout on the meter.

I believe that you can just upgrade to SFACL rather than purchasing new, since you have an old ACL.

You may want to consider upgrading the specs to the relatively new LUFS standard, rather than using and measuring RMS. For that, there are a couple of measuring instruments that will help.

YouLean Loudness Meter 2 - probably the best out there. Try the free version and pay if you want more - check out what that includes.

Here is a good tutorial explaining:

Melda MLoudnessAnalyzer - also free but very good. You can pay if you want but I don't think that it will give you anything more.

RMS readings give you a short term average, LUFS give you an overall average loudness. The graph in YouLean is much more useful than anything that an RMS readout can give you, including locations where the audio goes over the True Peak set limit (-1dB).

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

rraud wrote on 4/21/2021, 11:22 AM

SF Pro 11 and newer, can analyze a files loudness factors with the "Statistics" tool. Much faster and more accurate than if one does not have the time (or patients) for real-time playback to get the all important 'integrated' LUFS factor.

ToneBosters EBU loudness meter which also displays 'gate stats' in another 'free' favorite.