Vocals ONLY?

David-Pook wrote on 1/27/2021, 4:41 AM

Wonder if anyone has any tips or some guidance please on HOW to take out the backing sounds from a loop, ie: strip out the bass, drums, etc etc and ONLY have the vocals play on a track if they are overlaid on a track.

A better example of what i mean would be to import a song from a CD, but you only want to use the vocals and not the instruments that make up the song entirely. So just the vocals you want to use, nothing else. Save the vocals ONLY as a take, and use those vocals in some way to your own track that you have created.

Is this possible, and if so.... HOW?!!

Don't worry, I have the copyright to the whole track on CD, I just would like to use Music Maker to achieve this, rather than other software if its possible.

Look forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks
David

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/27/2021, 4:50 AM

@David-Pook

Hi David.

The usual analogy used is to say "you can't unbake a cake", i.e. you can't get the original ingredients back! IOW, no, you can't do what you want in MM, nor in any other software that I would even think to recommend.

There are some apps that "claim" to be able to do this but, since the procedure of necessity must work in frequency bands - and at least some of the instruments will overlap in frequency with the vocals - you are highly likely to be very disappointed, sorry.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 1/27/2021, 5:26 AM

@David-Pook There are some developments in this topic over the last few years. The best known tools for this job are Xtrax Stems and Spleeter-based softwares (iZotope RX, Acon Digital Acoustica, Steinberg SpectraLayers etc.).

The good thing is that Spleeter is free to use. It is a little bit complicated to install and use if you want to have it on your computer but there are several websites out there that offer it for free. You only need to upload your song and you'll get download links for the splitted song. Just search online for "Spleeter online tool",

But don't expect wonders. Most results sound underwater-like. But it is good enough if you combine it with reverb and other music and mix it a little into the background.

I personally think that Xtrax Stems results are a little bit better than what Spleeter can do but that depends on your song material and personal taste.

David-Pook wrote on 1/27/2021, 6:35 AM

@David-Pook There are some developments in this topic over the last few years. The best known tools for this job are Xtrax Stems and Spleeter-based softwares (iZotope RX, Acon Digital Acoustica, Steinberg SpectraLayers etc.).

The good thing is that Spleeter is free to use. It is a little bit complicated to install and use if you want to have it on your computer but there are several websites out there that offer it for free. You only need to upload your song and you'll get download links for the splitted song. Just search online for "Spleeter online tool",

But don't expect wonders. Most results sound underwater-like. But it is good enough if you combine it with reverb and other music and mix it a little into the background.

I personally think that Xtrax Stems results are a little bit better than what Spleeter can do but that depends on your song material and personal taste.

Thank you.

That Spleeter tool worked perfectly.