Video Pro X5 - Can't open the Project I saved last night

AlanParker wrote on 8/30/2013, 11:25 AM

I'm working on a project for several days.  Last saved last night.  After I saved and closed Video Pro X5, my PC experienced a BSOD (this has been happening the last few weeks, every few days).

Today Video Pro X5 will not open my project file, nor will it open a previously saved version.

I have a PC, Windows 7 64 bit, 32 GB RAM, 3 TB HDD's.

I need help fast please.

Thank you,

Alan Parker

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 8/30/2013, 11:59 AM

Oh dear, not a happy situation!

I assume you have already tried to open any older .BAK files, which are the auto-saved versions of your project, always assuming also you have set VPX to create auto-save files?

If none of these will open successfully I suspect a major problem with your VPX5 installation.  I know other users who strongly suggest deleting the VDL.ini file (of which there are likely several, simply choose the largest one) and then trying again to open your project.  That .ini file will simply be recreated in a "vanilla" version.  (I assume VPX itself opens as normal?)

If this does not work (and your mention of several BSODs over a number of weeks suggests a rather "big" problem with something on your computer; did they always occur after using VPX or were other programs also potentially implicated?) you may well have to consider a complete uninstall and reinstall of VPX.  In this scenario you must get hold of either the MAGIX tool designed to completely remove all traces of the program, or, my preference, download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller and let it carry out the uninstall for you (taking care to carefully check everything it tells you it needs to remove.)  The uninstaller built-in to VPX will NOT automatically remove everything associated with the program; the experience of a number of us who have faced this scenario for a variety of different causes can testify to the fact that without a full and total removal of the previous version, problems can persist.

BTW, as I think I hinted above, the cause of those BSODs needs to be investigated and cured, especially if it's not solely associated with VPX.

If it os any consolation to you, IMV if  "a previously saved version" of the project file will not open (I assume it did before?)  then a "new install" of VPX, as outlined above, is likely to be your only option but it should allow you to resume your project without building it again from scratch.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 8/30/2013, 11:59 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 8/30/2013, 12:20 PM

Hi

. . . . my PC experienced a BSOD (this has been happening the last few weeks, every few days) . . . .

May be not the answer you were expecting, however I would back up all the data to another hard drive and then get the BSOD sorted before going on with doing anything on the computer otherwise it is highly likely everything will be lost.

What is your hard drive configuration?  In the spec you give, you say  3 TB HDD's do you mean 3 x 1 TB HDD's

or 1 x 3TB HDD?

VPX should have saved backup files every 10 mins in the project folder which you can load using File, Load backup project...  the file names will be in this format   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_BAK0.MV_  However I recommend you get the BSOD fixed first.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/30/2013, 12:21 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gandjcarr wrote on 8/30/2013, 12:21 PM

Alan,

Did you try opening one of the backup files?  Hopefully you have that function turned on.  Start VPX, go to "file" then "load backup project" a list should pop up showing available backups.  I use MEP, not VPX but I am pretty sure that the basic functions are the same.

George

AlanParker wrote on 8/30/2013, 12:56 PM

Thank you all for your quick responses.  It sure is nice to have a caring user community out there!

To respond to the excellent questions and points you made...

HDD's - I have multiple 3TB HDD's, 1 specifically for video.

BSOD's - this is the first time it's ocurred with VPX, and I'm guessing it crashed the program and probably corrupted the project file before they were completely closed in the background.  I recently did a fresh OS (and all programs!) install, hoping to eliminate the problem, but it has not.  I may have to replace the motherboard when I get a chance.

VPX - I uninstalled and reinstalled VPX ... the program works fine but my project file is still bad.  I was able to open a BAK9.MV_ file, but it seems VPX stops at BAK9 and I still lost over 12 hours of intensive work (better than losing the whole project though!).  From now on I will not trust the program auto-backups only, and do a rotating 'Save As' setup as a safety net.  I can always delete extra saves after the project is completed.

Thank you!

Alan

gandjcarr wrote on 8/30/2013, 1:24 PM

Hi Alan,

You know, I admire the time and effort you have put in to setting up and backing up your system.  Many people don't even bother with simple backups.  You are clearly astute and knowledgeable about back up, you have plenty of RAM so you know what your are doing.  With so much storage, you may want to consider a mirror disc arrangement as another level of backup.

It reall sucks when you get in this kind of predicament during a big project, when you have done everything right.  I have learned from your experience as well.

George

johnebaker wrote on 8/30/2013, 5:07 PM

Hi Alan

. . . . and do a rotating 'Save As' setup as a safety net . . . .

That is exactly what I do on big projects - has been a life saver when I really mess up the timeline by a careless key press   and save without looking.

. . . . I may have to replace the motherboard when I get a chance. . . . 

Problem may not be the motherboard, have you run checks on the other components ie processor, RAM and OS hard drive. 

Usually when a motherboard goes it is fatal, where as you may have an overheating or cooked processor, a bad stick of RAM or the OS HDD (or whichever drive the Page File is on) is beginning to break up.

@George

. . . . With so much storage, you may want to consider a mirror disc arrangement as another level of backup . . .

If you mean set up two drives as a mirrored set, ie RAID 1, then I would disagree with you - with a mirrored pair of drives any error will be replicated to both drives.   RAID 1 can give a substantial increase in overall disc read speed and only provides a backup if one of the two HDD's fails - break the mirror and you can continue on the good drive

I use a program called SyncBack for regular backing up my external hard drives.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/30/2013, 5:10 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jigsinc wrote on 8/30/2013, 6:08 PM

What is your video card like Alan, It has played a big part in my problems in the past