Use of sound pools and how to get a commercial license for them

Anthony-Buckner wrote on 6/25/2021, 1:45 PM

I am a singer songwriter using Magix Music Maker to record and enhance my songs. When I bought Ambient, I bought the commercial version to use when I stream my music. I now know I can't use sound pools unless I buy a commercial license for each one. How do I find where to buy such a license as my music will be streaming on all platforms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 6/25/2021, 2:03 PM

@Anthony-Buckner

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

First, please don't post all in bold. In forum etiquette it is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or demanding attention. Hence I have edited your post to remove the bolding.

Commercial licences for Magix Soundpools can be purchased via ProducerPlanet. But you do need to be aware that Magix offers two levels of commercial licence, at quite different price levels! This page details the differences between those two levels, as well as what is allowed under the Standard (non-commercial) licence.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 6/25/2021, 2:04 PM

@Anthony-Buckner You can get the commercial license inside the shop in Music Maker.

You can get the license also form www.producerplanet.com

Be aware that even using commercial licensed loops can cause problems because all these automated acoustic fingerprint services often cannot distinguish between different songs that are using the same loops.

johnebaker wrote on 6/25/2021, 2:47 PM

@Anthony-Buckner

Hi

To add to @SP. comment:

1. There is no differentiation that indicates a Soundpool is commercially licenced and others are not - they are the same soundpools, you must retain copies of the licences for those you purchase.

2. You, or anyone else using Soundpools, only have copyright of the entire work that has been created.

3. Copyright of Soundpool loops is retained by Magix - you and other users of those loops only have licences to use them within the terms and conditions of the appropriate licences.

4. Anyone claiming that you have copied a piece of their work, ie have used the same loop or loops cannot claim copyright on that alone.

5. There have been many ‘copyright’ claims on music eg on Youtube, Soundcloud etc from ‘scrapers’ – identities specifically looking for music to claim a copyright on and demanding a fee for compensation or to allow the creator to continue having the music available.

6. Certain organisations, which are used by musicians to manage copyright, similarly cannot claim copyright protection down to the level of individual loops - only on complete works or identifiable signature riffs etc, created by the musician.

To avoid any claims completely you would have to create an 'original work' by writing the music and lyrics, play the built in Instruments or writing the notes in the MIDI Editor, and/or record yourself, performing on instrument(s) eg guitar, or singing - and no Soundpool loops.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/25/2021, 2:47 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Anthony-Buckner wrote on 6/25/2021, 3:12 PM

I bought the commercial license when I bought Ambient so I will stick to doing that. Thank you for your comments

Anthony-Buckner wrote on 6/25/2021, 3:13 PM

Oh I do have one last question. When I'm in Magix, is there a way to see tha actual license of each loop I buy?

SP. wrote on 6/25/2021, 3:14 PM

@Anthony-Buckner You can look up your licenses in your customer account on www.producerplanet.com.

johnebaker wrote on 6/25/2021, 3:31 PM

@Anthony-Buckner

Hi

As I said above in item 1 in my previous post: -

'There is no differentiation that indicates a Soundpool is commercially licenced and others are not - they are the same soundpools' .

Hence the comment about retaining copies of the licences - ie confirmations of licences you have purchased as proof of purchase.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.