Unable to use Sound Forge with an Audigy SB1394 card

MichaelMcG wrote on 6/12/2023, 8:33 AM

I bought this card so that I could use the digital input (internal CD header) and output on this card with Sound Forge. But when I complete the audio settings and try to arm for recording, I get an error saying that "One or more audio playback devices do not support the current sample rate and/or bit depth". When I click the Details button, it says that my device doesn't support 16-bit 44.1khz sample rate (standard cd quality?). And when I change the recording sample rate in Windows Sound advanced settings for my card, Sound Forge then says the new rate isn't supported. And so on. These are analogue sampling rates. I only want to use digital recording and playback.

To further complicate matters, Audacity records at any sample rate I set, with no issues.

It seems I'm not the only one having these issues with various Soundblaster cards. Are there any fixes or workarounds for this issue?

Comments

SP. wrote on 6/12/2023, 8:55 AM

@MichaelMcG 

And when I change the recording sample rate in Windows Sound advanced settings

Could you please upload screenshots of your Sound Forge audio settings and audio settings of your recording device? So it's easier to see, if there might be an incorrect setting.

You can upload an image file with the blue arrow icon above the response text box.

These are analogue sampling rates. I only want to use digital recording and playback.

No, it's always digital. There might be an analog<->digital converter in the signal path, but the recording is digital since you don't record on an analog medium.

MichaelMcG wrote on 6/12/2023, 9:15 AM

@MichaelMcG 

These are analogue sampling rates. I only want to use digital recording and playback.

No, it's always digital. There might be an analog<->digital converter in the signal path, but the recording is digital since you don't record on an analog medium.

Of course. My bad.

johnebaker wrote on 6/12/2023, 10:12 AM

@MichaelMcG

Hi

. . . . Audigy SB1394 card . . . .

What is the full name of the SB Audigy card - the SB1394 only indicates it has an  IEEE 139/Firewire/iLink interface on board for use with 1394/Firewire/iLink devices.

Which version of Windows is running on the PC ?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.