unable to open mp3 files on sound forge 15

Sarah-Z wrote on 10/15/2021, 6:42 AM

I am a long-time sound forge user. I received a new laptop (PC, windows 10) and installed the latest version of sound forge 15. I am unable to open mp3 files on the program. My workaround is to convert each file to a .wav file to edit and then convert it back to an mp3 file so I can send it over email. My old sound forge program (11) had no issues with this. I have searched the online community for answers and solutions and feel like I have tried all of them. The "mp3" box is checked under preferences>file types. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I have searched for plug-ins. Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance.

Comments

SP. wrote on 10/15/2021, 7:19 AM

@Sarah-Z Install the newest update via the help menu and if you already own the newest version then try to reset the program settings via File > Reset All preferences and cached data...

You can also hold CTRL + Shift and double click on the Sound Forge startup icon. It will ask 'Do you want to reset all Sound Forge Pro preferences to default values? You should check the box that says 'Delete all cached application data' and then click 'Yes'. Then try again to open the program.

rraud wrote on 10/15/2021, 10:00 AM

The relatively common MP3 issue has been addressed in both SF-15 Pro and AS. If the update does not work, or does not fix the issue, download the latest build (currently 64) from the Magix Download Center and reinstall that.

If that does not fix the issue, (Plan C), uninstall SF using a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall' that can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which in usually the root of recurring issues .

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Sarah-Z.