Trying to activate Sound Forge Studio 16

Kelly-Chien wrote on 3/26/2022, 4:50 PM

Greetings! I just purchased Sound Forge Studio 16 to install on my editing PC at church. I wasn't able to register/activate it online because "An online connection could not be established". I've tried resetting my network and turning off the firewall, but still no go. Obviously i'm connected to the 'net as i was able to purchase and download, and am here posting.

I tried manually creating an activation code, but that asks for my computer ID, and i have no idea where to find that. Windows Product ID is obviously not the right thing. If i had activated any other Magix software then the "my products" page would show me, but this is the first one i've attempted on this PC. Any ideas? And also, i'm not sure how i'll enter that activation code once i get it. I'm on Win7 Ultimate, if that makes any difference.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/26/2022, 6:58 PM

Did you purchase Sound Forge Audio Studio 16 directly from Magix?

Can you try activating from a different internet connection or provider?
Once the on-line connection can be established, it is just a matter of entering (or copy/pastie) the activation code Magix sent you and the email address you used to purchase.

I am not sure about SF-16 on Win 7, you can email Magix customer service and ask.
email: infoservice@magix.net

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Kelly-Chien.

Kelly-Chien wrote on 3/26/2022, 8:19 PM

Yep, direct onsite/download purchase.

Unfortunately this PC is part of a Windows Domain, so i can't disconnect it to plug in somewhere else. I haven't received an activation code yet, just the serial number. When i try to get a manual activation it asks me for the serial number and the computerID, and i only have the first one of those. I wonder if SoundForge showed me the ID when i first started registering it, but now that i fell back on activating it as a trial it's just not showing me anymore. Maybe i can try uninstalling and clearing out all the registry entries, then starting from scratch. Just ... not until *AFTER* church tomorrow since i have the files i need for the service all cued up and ready to play. Email sent to customer service, but probably won't hear back from them for a few days.

Thanks! Actually i used to be here a LOT before Magix took over. My previous account apparently didn't transfer well, couldn't log in with it for a couple years, and now it doesn't seem to exist anymore, as when i entered the same email address it had me create a new account. Ah well.

johnebaker wrote on 3/27/2022, 6:06 AM

@Kelly-Chien

Hi

. . . . Unfortunately this PC is part of a Windows Domain . . . .

Is an Internet connection available on the PC?

. . . . When i try to get a manual activation it asks me for the serial number and the computerID, and i only have the first one of those . . . .

In Audio Studio at the registration dialog when you elect to register on another computer/offline the ComputerId should be displayed either automatically or there is a button to generate the Computer ID for you.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rraud wrote on 3/27/2022, 10:26 AM

@Kelly-Chien, I recall a Chienworks from the (old) SCS days who frequented the Vegas and Sound Forge forums. If this is you, welcome back.

Kelly-Chien wrote on 3/27/2022, 1:00 PM

jonebaker -

Yes, online. I downloaded and have been posting from that PC.

I don't recall ever seeing an option to register from another computer. Perhaps it was there, but i went straight to register online since i had a serial number right there in front of me. Maybe it only shows the ComputerID that once, and never again since it just assumes i'm not going that route. Will try uninstalling and reinstalling again, and see if it shows that option. It's certainly not showing it now.

rraud -

Yep, that be me! Thanks! :)

rraud wrote on 3/27/2022, 1:29 PM

If you uninstall Kelly, use 'Revo Uninstall' that can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data. Otherwise an uninstall/reinstall would probably be futile.. though I am not sure if either will help in this particular case
Revo Uninstall has pro and freeware versions, the free version is usually adequate unless a 'forced uninstall' is needed.

johnebaker wrote on 3/28/2022, 3:33 AM

@Kelly-Chien

Hi

. . . . i went straight to register online since i had a serial number right there in front of me . . . .

That should not be necessary, activation is within the program.

As the computer is connected to the Internet - after install start the program and you should be asked to enter the serial number and email address.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Kelly-Chien wrote on 3/28/2022, 5:28 AM

Well, yes, register online is within the program.

Correct, that's exactly what happened, but then it failed with "An online connection could not be established", and now i no longer have the option to register any other way.

johnebaker wrote on 3/28/2022, 7:44 AM

@Kelly-Chien

Hi

My apologies - I took i went straight to register online  as meaning to were manually registering the program in the Service Centre at magix.com

Check the Windows settings, Internet options have the necessary protocols turned on as shown below

Additionally the PC and/or network server firewall may be blocking the programs access to the Internet

John EB

rraud wrote on 3/28/2022, 10:51 AM

and now i no longer have the option to register any other way.

There should be a "Register Sound Forge' in the 'Help' menu if it does not pop-up automatically.. which usually the case when it is not activated.

Kelly-Chien wrote on 3/28/2022, 11:10 AM

John, that's a little more complete than what tech support showed me to turn on. Unfortunately, i don't see either HTTP 2.0 or TLS 1.3. We probably uninstalled MSIE on this beast 20 years ago and it never updated internet options past version 6.

I think it's also possible that the church's networking gurus may have whatever is necessary blocked in their firewall, so i'll have to get a support ticket in there too.

rraud, Unfortunately i had to register it with a trial serial number just to get it to launch, so now the only 'register and activate' i have is the online one with my purchased serial number already filled in. Even if i delete that, i cannot find out my computer ID, nor do i see any buttons for offline or register from another PC. The register link in the help menu merely pops up the same dialog box for online registration.

rraud wrote on 3/28/2022, 2:23 PM

The computer ID for my Win 10 PC is in "Settings> System> About". I am not sure if that is the one Magix wants for off-line activation.
On SCS (Sony) versions of SF, the computer ID was in 'Help> About Sound Forge'. In the Magix versions, the computer ID field is blank.. activated or not...

Kelly-Chien wrote on 3/28/2022, 2:34 PM

There is a Windows activation product ID listed there in Win7, under Computer / Properties, but this is definitely not what Magix wants. I suspect their ID is a number they generate themselves from a variety of identifiable aspects including the processor core ID. Maybe i'll have to go install one of my ancient versions of Sound Forge and see if it shows the ID under help / about.I think i still have a few activations left on versions 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ...

But, in the end, i'll probably still have to have Magix's support walk me through some extra process, since the dialogs for entering a manual activation key don't even seem to exist.