Trouble reinstalling Music Maker

WinterWarlock81 wrote on 5/29/2018, 12:13 AM

Not long ago, I accidentally knocked my external drive off of my desk and got the click-of-death due to it hitting the floor. I just got around to getting a new drive. The old drive was G:\ and the new one is F:\. I get this error massage after the installer stops.

"Unelevated PostFinished process could not be created. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123)
Path: "MusicMaker.exe"
Id: 0

After I clear the prompt, I see that nothing is actually installed.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/29/2018, 4:14 AM

Hi.

Your post is somewhat confusing! What, exactly, was installed on the hard drive that is now dead, G:\? That is an unusual place to have the MM program installed, but not impossible I suppose.

This tutorial explains in detail how to completely uninstall any Magix program (a procedure which must be followed exactly if a successful reinstall is to follow) but again, I am not sure that is what you need to do.

If the problem is simply caused by the fact that the old drive was G:\ and the new one is F:\, try going to Disk Management and changing the drive letter of the new drive to G. ("Disk Management" can be accessed, in Win 10, by right-clicking on the Start icon, bottom left of your screen.)

If none of thes suggestions helps, please post back with much more information about your computer, version of MM you have and exactly what you have tried so far.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

WinterWarlock81 wrote on 5/29/2018, 1:51 PM

I just like to have everything on an external drive. The Music Maker version is 80s Edition (2018).

I've changed the drive letter and that didn't work. I tried installing to C:\ instead and that didn't work. I've done the tutorial listed. I still get the error message.

Here's the hardware info you asked for.
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz
3GB RAM
Windows 10 Home
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.431

johnebaker wrote on 5/29/2018, 3:01 PM

@WinterWarlock81

. . . . The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. . . . .

Are you changing the install folder name to a different one from the default?

This error message would suggest that you have disallowed characters, or invalid characters in the filepath or folder where the program is being installed to.

Disallowed characters are: \\ // / [ ] : | < > + ; = . ?

It is best to stick to a to z and numbers for folder and file names.

. . . . Here's the hardware info you asked for . . . .

For completeness we also need to know the hard drive configuration and free space on them and the graphics card installed.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/29/2018, 3:03 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

MontolioMushie wrote on 6/5/2018, 2:15 PM

I just had basically the same thing happen. Basically, you can change the name of the drive, but that only changes what you see, not what the computer sees. Whatever new letter the drive got is what it is stuck with. You'll have to manually delete all the files and reinstall the program for it to work right.

emmrecs wrote on 6/5/2018, 2:22 PM

@MontolioMushie

Basically, you can change the name of the drive, but that only changes what you see, not what the computer sees

Sorry, but that is patently incorrect if you are referring to the assigned drive letter! If you use the "Disk Management" facility to change the drive letter (as explained in my previous post to this thread) Windows will see and use the newly-assigned letters. (I've needed to do this several times over the years and it's never failed.)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

MontolioMushie wrote on 6/5/2018, 5:50 PM

Good point, I forgot you could do that lol. With mine, I eventually had to just go to My PC and search "magix" and delete everything that showed up, and then start with a fresh download and install of music maker for it to work right. You sound like you know what you're doing better than I do, but that worked for me.