The 2024 update. Premium. Issues.

Michael-Rose5596 wrote on 9/24/2023, 7:59 PM

When updating to 2024, the update would not install. Instead, it indicated it could not access the file in the Magix temporary directory, and speculated that I did not have proper permissions to do so. Absolute bunk!

I have spent the last four hours troubleshooting the matter. In the process, I completely wiped the 2023 version from my machine, including registry entries and so on, and then reinstalled 2023 over and over again from the Magix website. The problem not only persisted, my search for a cure produced another issue. Only the free version installed, and my instrument bank disappeared!

Over the years, I have used everything from Steinberg downward without a similar issue. Moreover, since your company changed ownership and expanded, the quality of one-on-one support has devolved into nonexistence, and your business plan now nickels and dimes your user/subscriber base to the point of idiocy. As a premium user/customer, I expect more, rather than less from your firm. Fix this, or refund my money!

Comments

gjonny wrote on 9/24/2023, 10:45 PM

@Michael-Rose5596

Firstly, please delete your message from the other thread, since it's not related to that topic.
Secondly, this is a user forum. A company person will occasionally post something about bugs or updates, otherwise it's just us users here.  Any comments you want to direct to/at the company should be done through one of the email links (see the "support" link at the top of this page, or the links in the About box, when you have the program running).

[these comments below were edited at a later time]

Try downloading the Free edition installer from the Magix site, but  do a "Run as Administrator" with it.  
My understanding is that the Free edition of MusicMaker contains the core functionality.  When you purchase "Premium" you're essentially paying for add-ons and enhancements to the core program.  Once you've logged in, you should have a number of items available for download -- have you checked the Download area?

Does any of this help?

johnebaker wrote on 9/25/2023, 4:33 AM

@Michael-Rose5596

Hi

Assuming you mean you got this error:

. . . . Unexpected error occurred.  The installation could not be finished. (Magix Updater ) . . . .

In folder 

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX\UpdateService.

open the file UpdateService.ini in Notepad and check if the working path is set to  "working_dir=C"/....".

If it is, change the path to: working_dir=C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Temp/MAGIX/UPS where Username is your computer logon name.

Save the file and try updating again.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.