Terms of Service

David-Raney wrote on 7/25/2021, 5:29 PM

After years of not using ACID I recently purchased version 10. Since purchase, there have been a litany of issues. On trying to install, I get an error in German. Then an error saying to uninstall ACID after it has already been un-installed. Now, I get get crashes on the Shopper Gui executable.

After reading the terms and conditions, I am under the impression I can cancel the contract within 14 days without reason, which I tried. MAGIX has informed me they will not do that. Is there any method I can get away from this software and retain any of the money I have spent on it (short of appealing to my credit card company?)?

At this point I'm just too disappointed to keep troubleshooting all the issues. Thanks.

P.S. Also, is there an average turnaround time on tickets? I have another (unrelated to above) ticket that is over a month old, that the only response I get when inquiring is, "We are looking into it".

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 7/26/2021, 1:49 PM

@David-Raney

Hi

The 14 day money back period starts from the date of purchase. If you installed at a later date and are using this as the start date, then you will be outside the 14 day money back period.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

David-Raney wrote on 7/26/2021, 2:19 PM

The purchase was July 9, 2021). After my request, I received an email from MAGIX on July 22 saying that they would not cancel the purchase as I requested (ticket number removed by Moderator).

The two communications were less than 14 days apart. The email did not state a reason for not honoring my request, only that they would not. Confused.

SP. wrote on 7/26/2021, 2:59 PM

@David-Raney I would suggest you open another ticket referencing your old ticket number. Maybe the support employee who handled your case didn't know better and with a new ticket you will probably get another employee. Maybe it also helps if you contact Magix through Facebook.

David-Raney wrote on 7/27/2021, 6:28 PM

@David-Raney I would suggest you open another ticket referencing your old ticket number. Maybe the support employee who handled your case didn't know better and with a new ticket you will probably get another employee. Maybe it also helps if you contact Magix through Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestion https://www.magix.info/us/users/profile/SP./. . I did open a second ticket, which was routed to a different person. This person is saying the Terms of Service does not apply to U.S. customers. This sounds a bit odd to me-I would have thought the company has a significant customer base in the U.S.

Edit: After double-checking, I realized the second ticket was routed to the same person as the first one.

sheppo wrote on 7/28/2021, 2:25 AM

@David-Raney - if you purchased it direct from Magix this would be relevant -> https://www.magix.com/us/returns/ - which is a US site, and specifically states 14 day returns. But as it says, these returns policies are only valid if you purchased it from Magix.

Raise it again using the email on the above link, providing the information detailed as well as the above link, quote the text on that page, reference the previous support ticket numbers and the dates raised to show you initially tried to return this within 14 days of purchase.

SP. wrote on 7/28/2021, 2:37 AM

@David-Raney Usually you cannot refund digital goods (because you could make a copy before returning it) but since your software is bound to your user account and cannot be used without an active registration this is indeed odd from Magix not refunding you. This is poor customer support in my opinion.

I would suggest to you to ask the support employee who worked on your ticket to send your request to the supervisor.

If this doesn't help you are entitled to technical support. The software doesn't seem to work on your computer and the support needs to help you with this.

SP. wrote on 7/28/2021, 2:38 AM

@sheppo The site says

All MAGIX download versions, encoder upgrades, support vouchers, and shipping costs are non-refundable.

johnebaker wrote on 7/28/2021, 7:46 AM

@David-Raney, @sheppo, @SP.

Hi

The 14 day 'cooling off' period is for countries in the EU or EEA as stated in the Terms and Conditions - see extract below

Assuming you are in the US then there are state/FTC rules which may apply, however AFAICS:

1. the FTC 'Cooling off' period, is 3 days from purchase for a full refund.

2. Some states have 'cooling off periods, however these apply to 'local purchases'. As the purchase was from a none US state these may not apply.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

David-Raney wrote on 7/28/2021, 5:57 PM

Thanks, John. I visited the FTC site, and it appears it wouldn't apply anyway, as they exempt sales "made entirely online, by mail, or telephone".