Terms and conditions for royalty-free commercial license

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/7/2024, 5:57 PM

I want to upload a song I've created to YouTube Music (via CD Baby). I purchased royalty-free commercial licenses for the two Soundpools I used to create it. Would I be violating YouTube's policy regarding the use of royalty-free samples?

See these screenshots for additional information.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/7/2024, 7:07 PM

@dmstar1956 Content ID is an absolute NO for loop based music. YouTube strictly forbids this. It's also possible that CD Baby might refuse to add your music to Content ID.

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/7/2024, 8:00 PM

I don't know anything about Content ID. Could you explain. I'm the copyrighted owner of the music am I not? I purchased commercial licenses allowing me the use of loops and samples in the compositions I create, royalty-free.. What would they be objecting to exactly?

SP. wrote on 3/7/2024, 8:21 PM

@dmstar1956 Content ID is YouTube's automated recognition system. If multiple songs use the same loops or cannot distinguish between them since they sound the same. So YouTube doesn't allow loops and samples in its Content ID system. The music has to be unique.

YouTube introduced the system because the rightsholders can then automatically block or monetize uploads, which includes their copyrighted material without the need of searching for uploads manually. It's all automated.

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/7/2024, 8:24 PM

So Magic Music Maker content cannot be monetized on YouTube? That's what you're saying?

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/7/2024, 8:26 PM

Ok. It makes sense now. Thanks.

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/7/2024, 8:34 PM

Would this also be the case with other major platforms like Spotify or Tiktok?

SP. wrote on 3/7/2024, 8:36 PM

@dmstar1956 Monetizing on YouTube and Content ID is something different. If you have a commercial license you can of course monetize your channel.

Content ID is for automatically finding uploads of other users who use your music without asking for your permission. You can then block or monetize their videos. But, like discussed, this isn't possible with loops.

This doesn't mean you cannot do this manually, without the automated help of Content ID.

johnebaker wrote on 3/8/2024, 3:14 AM

@dmstar1956

Hi

. . . . I'm the copyrighted owner of the music am I not? . . . .

Yes and no - you have copyright over what you create from the loops, however you do not have exclusive copyright on the loops used, whether you have the commercial licences or not. Magix own the copyright to their Soundpools/loops and is non-transferable.

Looking at the CDBaby images you posted.

I would interpret 'cannot monetize music that uses royalty free samples' as meaning any loop based music you create, this would include all the Soundpool loops and any other loops you may acquire.

Many music sites do not allow or frown upon loop based music.

To avoid all potential issues with using loops and other issues, your music should be unique, writeen/composed by yourself, created using the VSTi instruments, either by playing the VSTis using a MIDI keyboard or 'writing' the MIDI notes in the Midi Editor.

Drum beat patterns are generic so should not cause issues, however do avoid using riffs/sequences from other musicians music, or trying to emulate unique 'sounds', that can be attributable to a creator or group etc.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/8/2024, 5:02 AM

To: John EB, Forum Moderator

Well, because of this, I guess I have to tell CD Baby not to opt me in for social video monetization on YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.

My biggest concern now is: What about all the other music platforms that CD Baby will be distributing my song to?

Because I want to monetize the streams and downloads of the song, do you expect I will be contending with copyright claims on other platforms even though I created the song using commercially licensed (and royalty-free) loops and samples?

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/8/2024, 5:15 AM

CD Baby says 'Content licensed non-exclusively from a third party (such as samples or beats that are not exclusively licensed)' is not eligible for monetization nor is 'Content containing any audio library samples, sound effects, or production loops (such as GarageBand loops).'

I do not have an exclusive license, do I?

SP. wrote on 3/8/2024, 5:59 AM

@dmstar1956 You can always monetize your compositions manually by yourself. For example, you can sell it on Bandcamp or allow ads on the videos on your YouTube channel.

But you cannot use the automated systems from CD Baby or YouTube since they don't work correctly with loops. They are asking if you want to add the release to their automated systems so they can collect royalties for you from other people who use your music. This isn't possible, but like already mentioned, you can always collect royalties manually. But then you need to search and find videos or other uploads of your music on the Internet by yourself.

And no, you don't have an exclusive license, because other Magix users can use the loops as well.

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/8/2024, 6:13 AM

Alright. That's what I thought (re: exclusivity). Just hoping I can monetize streams and downloads on platforms that accept looped/sampled content.

Thanks, SP.