Support, Metadata

sophocles wrote on 10/24/2021, 6:52 AM

It appears you can no longer contact support. I get a loop which just sends me back to the articles and forums.

Sound Forge Pro 15 was supposed to offer better metadata tools. In fact, it's worse.

Before, I could call up a batch preset, change the relevant bits, and set it to encode. The updated changes would be saved to the new files and the metadata for the file would be updated.

Now, the old batch data is saved into the new encodes, the file's metadata is not updated, you have to retype the batch name to save it (instead of just overwriting), and it closes the file without asking to.

Yes, I already use MP3Tag to add additional metadata like blurb, cover pic, website. When the advertising boasted of better metadata tagging, I thought maybe they would include that. Instead, they offer NOTHING new, and it doesn't even work without a convoluted and more complex method. (You have to open the batch, update the metadata, close the batch, resaving the update, typing in the same name, then open the batch again before running the job.) And if I want the metadata in the file, I guess I need to go back and enter that in separately. Awful.

I am sorely disappointed in the latest updates, and believe that Magix has falsely advertised their product.

This is only one of my complaints; one other is the crazy way in which you can no longer save a new file without leaving an unsaved file open. Just insane. Why must I create yet another new file to save the new file I'm working on? And then I have to tell it yes, I want to open it. And then I have to close the still unsaved file without saving it. Utterly, utterly bizarre!

There are other complaints I'd like to voice, too, but I'd really like to voice them to Magix, not just on the user forum, if I could.

I've been a user of Sound Forge Pro since before Sony. I don't think I'll be buying future updates. Instead, I'll probably be going back to version 14. I'd really like my money back for this version.

Sad.

Comments

SP. wrote on 10/24/2021, 7:46 AM

@sophocles You can try to contact "Product-Owner" https://www.magix.info/de/users/profil/Product-Owner/ who works with the Sound Forge team.

They also look for beta testers. Maybe you can try to become a beta tester and tell them what you like and what not. https://www.magix.info/us/forum/sticky-sound-forge-beta-testing-looking-for-testers--1283920/

rraud wrote on 10/24/2021, 12:38 PM

Go to Magix Sound Forge Tech Support if you would like to request a support ticket .. It is somewhat convoluted, so peruse this recent comment that has detailed instructions.

Why must I create yet another new file to save the new file I'm working on? And then I have to tell it yes, I want to open it. And then I have to close the still unsaved file without saving it.

A possibility could be the 'Multi-Instance default', that was initiated in Sound Forge Pro-14 build 111, which can be changed but the setting is in a (hidden) internal menu. Otherwise SFP-15 is the same as the legacy versions so you may have forked with the preference settings,

btw @sophocles, you did not mention what Sound Forge version or build you are using. Read the 'Sticky' at the head for the main Sound Forge forum page.
The 're-designed' batch tool has unfortunately been a-work-in-progress, since SPF-15 was published.

sophocles wrote on 10/24/2021, 1:15 PM

Thank you @rraud!

I would never have been persistent enough to realize I needed to go through that long a maze to get a real support ticket without that instruction list. I'd have thought I dead ended several times. (Even so, I had to do that several times as the first time it decided to switch to the German site on the last step.)

I have the latest ver 15, but have been using 14 mostly until today when I tried one more time to see if the batch metadata had been fixed.

I think you're correct about the multi-instance default, as the problem did start in 14. However, I've been unable to find any toggle in the preferences.

Thanks for your help!

rraud wrote on 10/24/2021, 1:59 PM

" I think you're correct about the multi-instance default, as the problem did start in 14. However, I've been unable to find any toggle in the preferences"

- go to the 'Options' menu, hold the keyboard 'Shift' key and click "Preferences"
- select the 'Internal' tab
- find the field for, "Force Single Instance behavior" (bottom of list or use search)
- change the value from 'FALSE ' to "TRUE"
- click 'Apply' and 'OK'
- Exit and restart Sound Forge

Also confirm that "Open as Read only" in unchecked in the 'Open' window
In the "Options> Preferences> General" menu, review your preference settings for:
"Keep media files locked "
"Automatically reopen file after Save as"
"Prompt to open new file after Save as"