Stereo-to-mono for dialog

Former user wrote on 5/5/2022, 5:31 AM

I want to convert dialog, originally recorded in stereo, to mono. Sound Forge Pro has three options to do this, single channel (left or right), 50% and 100%. I am thinking the latter takes the left and right channel and smashes them together into a mono signal as the resulting waveforms look much larger. I am not sure what 50% does. If I am going to get a piece of dialog and convert to mono, for best clarity results, which option of the three is best to go with?

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/5/2022, 10:12 AM

convert dialog, originally recorded in stereo, to mono.

Hi @Former user,
See my recent comment here:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/can-i-work-with-left-and-right-stereo-tracks-separately--1299166/#ca1779094

Just choose the 'Left' or the 'Right'. If there is spatial content the 'Mix' option could cause phasing and/or a volume change. If not, it should not matter. Mono files are easier to work-on, faster to render and half the size of stereo (if the files are PCM) and there is no loss of quality. A win-win-win situation.

johnebaker wrote on 5/5/2022, 10:52 AM

@Former user

Hi

. . . . convert dialog, originally recorded in stereo, to mono . . . .

Was this using a stereo microphone or mono and duplicated on both channels?

If the latter then conversion should not be necessary as the audio will play correctly on a mono and stereo player, one advantage of this is that you can use the balance control to poisition the audio on the sound stage, by default with equal left/right it will be in the centre.

The options 50% and 100% in simple terms will use 50 % or 100% of each channels signal to create the mono signal.

The 50% option should not increase the volume level - at least that is how a small program installed on my PC and laptop which does a 50 - 50 addition of both stereo channels to give a mono signal at the same audio loudness works ( I am deaf in one ear so stereo audio is not heard correcly on headphones.).

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.