Split tracks and fade in/out

DZangger wrote on 12/12/2023, 5:08 PM

I'm new to ACL 4 having used Audacity for so long. What I could do in Audacity in 2 minutes is taking me a lot longer in ACL. If I record side A of a record and there are 6 tracks, I would like to apply fade in and out on each track. Especially for those tracks that blend into each other. Right now I have to load each track individually and set them. I'd like to be able to do this all in the project. Is this possible?

Thank you

Comments

browj2 wrote on 12/12/2023, 5:48 PM

@DZangger

Hi,

If all songs come in as one object, then split them between each - shortcut T. Move the objects if you want more of a gap.

Each object has handles at each end for fading. Where no gap, like after doing a T, you can have a crossfade.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

DZangger wrote on 12/12/2023, 7:39 PM

Thank you @browj2 John. Yes, all the objects were in an original WAV and I split them. I didn't know moving them was an option. I will give that a try. Thank you very much!

browj2 wrote on 12/12/2023, 9:28 PM

@DZangger

Hi,

There is a lot that you can do with SFACL.

You can split (T), trim (Z for the head, U for the tail), move, adjust volume in great detail, use the spectral cleaner to get rid of unwanted sudden noises, like a click, tap, cough, door slamming, etc. You have 8 tracks (vertically) to play with, not to be confused with what you call tracks from a CD, which are audio files/objects. You can drag bits and pieces up, down, left and right.

You can add "track" markers and give them names (see ID3-Editor shortcut L) or Tracks in the lower pane at the left, so that, when you export, the filename has the "track" name.

And a lot more (cleaning and mastering, recording, etc.).

I strongly suggest reviewing the manual. You will be surprised at all that you can do. Just remember that this is an audio editor, not a DAW.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

DZangger wrote on 12/13/2023, 11:47 AM

Hi John - I think this is more confusing then it has to be. Definitely overwhelming for the new folks like me. I recorded Side A of a record and the tracks are identified by the yellow flags at the top. Using T to split is causing more fuss than I would expect. Trying to line things up with the yellow markers isn't easy. All I'm trying to do is flag the song breaks like I have, edit each song by fixing the start and end, and then exporting. For now the only thing that seems to work is to export each track and then edit each one.

I've started to look through the pdf and there is a lot there. When it comes to fading in and out, there isn't much at all. I've checked for tutorials and not having any luck.

Thanks again for your kind support.

DZangger wrote on 12/13/2023, 11:52 AM

Ok... I think I got it. I exported each track and then just loaded tracks 1 and 2. Now I can move them like you spoke about. And I can see the fade in and out markers. I guess it takes me to write this stuff out until the light bulb moment goes off. Making some progress. After I fixed both tracks, and exported, I had both songs in the export. Is there a way that if I load Song 1 and Song 2, I can edit them and then just save the file again? I seem to be doing a lot of exporting and renaming of files.

Another update: Loaded 5 wav files, edited them and then went to export. Track 1 that was named is no longer named and won't export. When I exported everything, I got tracks 2 - 5 only. I wish I could figure out where the disconnect is.

So what i think is happening, is I'm deleting the start of the first track because of the space and the pop. That deletes the song tag at the top!

Last Update: Export the individual tracks and then New Project, Import Track, Edit fades, Save. Repeat for each track.