Sound Forge with JLCooper Media Control Station 2

BlakkBubble wrote on 5/25/2021, 1:52 AM

Hi everybody, recently I acquired a JLCooper Media Control Station 2 (1997, made by iron, a small heavy controller ), what special is it with midi interface, yes MIDI, no RS-422 nor RS-232, so it means it is able to work with computer. A midi Media Control Station 2 is rarer than RS-422 or RS-232 model, and yes more expensive.

Why did I buy it? Because I know there has a preset with the same name under Options\Midi Triggers of Sound Forge for many many years, yeah I was always curious about what Media Control Station 2 is and how it work with Sound Forge.

I bought a cheap RS-422 MCS2 before and got it connected into computer by a converter in-between hopefully it would be working, but didn't expectedly. Later I bought another expensive midi MCS2, connected to my audio interface, and selected both output and input midi ports of audio interface, then selected the JLCooper Media Control Station 2 from Midi Triggers Preset, the Event, Trigger and Channel have been bound already. The first step is you have to enable Trigger From Midi Timecode of Midi In Out under Options before play with the controller, otherwise no response.

I opened a waveform and operate some MMC play, stop fast forward and rewind. The Shift button reverses max/min value, the Option button kinda means something on Mac, but it's ok you can use it as second Shift to make another set of key binding. You know what a Wheel does right? And there is a Jog LED it lights when powers up and also it sends midi message controller 31 on/off, means two modes Shuttle or Jog, but I found there is no difference for dialing the wheel with or without the Jog LED. I read from manual said There is no Jog mode specified in the MMC, probably use with Sony 9-Pin (RS-422) equipment is able to do something different. And lastly I can't find a way to get the Record button key binding responds record command.

So as above is the basic status of MCS2 working with Sound Forge, and I found two issues I hope Magix can fix it one day.

1, I found the Event, Trigger and Channel binding with midi messages from MCS2 one stepped down however, but it's ok I can rebind them all over.

2, The option Trigger From Midi Timecode never remembers, I mean I need to enable it manually every time Sound Forge launches. This is very strange and has been an issue since Sony, yeah I hope Magix can fix it next software update.

Ok, This is all about Media Control Station 2! And Sound Forge has midi trigger preset for Roland MCR-8 which was a really dinosaur controller pretty rare to find one, but I am willing to try when chance coming. I also got Frontier Alphatrack to work with as well. But what I am expecting more is Magix can design a dedicated hardware controller for Sound Forge exclusive.

Thanks for reading.

Blakk Bubble