Sound Forge Plug-in chain not applying the effects.

gary-o wrote on 4/24/2021, 12:48 AM

I created a plug-in chain of effects and then applied it to the audio track.

Nothing happened! The progress bar for applying the chain effects worked through to the end, but no change to the audio occured. I would expect the same effects to be applied as if I applied them each in turn, manually.

What's going on? What am I missing? (I tried both selecting real-time and deselecting it, but neither worked.) Is it a bug? I can't find any mention of this issue in the forum or elsewhere?

UPDATE. I created a new plug-in chain and it worked just fine. Curiouser and curioser!

Comments

rraud wrote on 4/24/2021, 10:54 AM

If you wish to destructively process the file, go to "FX Favorites> Apply Plug-in Chain" select your chain preset or construct a new chain ad select OK to process. This is very similar the legacy chainer prior to Sound Forge Pro-11

If you want to edit non-destructively, use the timeline Fx Chainer, where you would select Save-as to render the audio, which will naturally create a new file. Unfortunately (understatement), Fx automation is not available in the 'Apply Plug-in Chain' mode.

FWIW, another non-destructive option is to save the audio as a SF Pro Project file <.frg>. which creates a .frg project file and companion folder with new audio. Use "Render as" instead of 'Save as' to write the final audio file. This is preferable for long-term projects and has unlimited undo points.

(copied from the VP Audio moved to off-topic forum)

gary-o wrote on 4/24/2021, 12:57 PM

Thanks, but sorry I don't understand. What is a "destructive" edit?

I did do exactly as you instructed: FX Favorites> Apply Plug-in Chain, but nothing happened when I selected the chain I had created.

I must have missed a step... or maybe the effects were applied, but Sound Forge doesn't update the wave form. Do I have to refresh the display or something, perhaps?

rraud wrote on 4/24/2021, 2:32 PM

What is a "destructive" edit

- Destructive editing alters the file on the timeline permanently once saved and cannot be undone, Non-destructive renders a new file leaving the original untouched,

I must have missed a step... or maybe the effects were not applied

- Confirm the plug-in(s) and/or the chainer are not bypassed,
Immediately after selecting 'OK' in the FX Favorites Apply plug-in chain, you should see the waveform change, depending of course on the degree of processing that took place,
Try some excessive settings as an experiment using Wave Hammer for instance,. excessive limiting will give the waveform a crew cut, flattening the peaks. You should also hear the processed audio as well using 'Preview' prior to initiating (OK), especially if excessive.

gary-o wrote on 4/24/2021, 7:42 PM

OK then it's not happening for me. I have selected the chain I created. Bypass is off. Real-time is on. Oh and all the effects in the chain are ticked also. There is no change in the sound when I preview, and when I click on OK, the wave form doesn't change (no effects seem to have been applied).

I've closed and restarted SF.

As for destructive editing, that was exactly what I was expecting. I thought that maybe a different file gets created and I have to open it up in a new window. (But that wouldn't make sense if I'm only applying the chain to a small portion of the file.)

It may be a bug. I'll have to contact tech support directly. :o

rraud wrote on 4/25/2021, 11:18 AM

Have you tried both VST and Direct X plug-ins and different FX?
Do plug-ins and chains otherwise preview normally.. and in the timeline chainer?
Also check the Fx's wet/dry settings ('More' menu); the default setting is Wet: 0.00 dB, Dry: Inf... and x-fade parameters
Before contacting support, try re-setting SF and clearing the cache (File menu, or Ctrl+Shift+Launch). if that does not work, Uninstall> Reinstall.

it may be a bug

None of that nature AFAIK.

gary-o wrote on 4/25/2021, 4:03 PM

I updated the original post - creating a new plug-in chain fixed the problem like Magic(s) 😀