Sound Forge - No 'Save Selection As' Option?

GhostTrain wrote on 5/18/2021, 10:31 PM

Hello,

I've been using CoolEdit Pro 2 since about 2001 (yes it still runs on Windows 10).  Its much faster and more efficient than  Adobe Audition (what it became).  I really dislike Adobe's subscription only business model and try to completely steer clear of them.  

Recently I picked up Sound Forge 13 and the first thing I checked for, and spent 20 minutes searching for, is the basic bread and butter feature audio editing apps should all have: "Save Selection..."
I'm wondering why it does not exist in Sound Forge and/or, if it does exist, why is it so hard to find.  I had no luck in documentation or Google searching.  Its like claiming to make the best pizzas but not including cheese.

How it works:
- User click & drag to select a portion of audio
- User can then use a shortcut (hopefully customizable) or go to File > 'Save Selection...' to save the current selection
(no need to set regions or jump through hoops.)

Additionally:
- Sound Forge would remember where the files were saved so the user can quickly select and save additional selections
- "Save Selection..." Icon that can be added to the toolbar

Without this basic feature Sound Forge is not a great choice for me as an audio editor/music maker.  I need to be able to work fast when I have hundreds of clips I need to manually edit and save from a larger one.  CoolEdit still does this painlessly, but I don't know how much longer it will be compatible with OS's.  Goldwave is surprisingly good as well but it has sort of cumbersome (but not bad) selection funkiness to get used to. It can Save Selection but its not quick.

Please pass this to the right people/devs for consideration if possible (maybe they scan the forums).  'Save Selection...' should exist in Sound Forge and should have custom shortcuts.  I'll reconsider using it if it gets added, but without it, in my opinion this app, even with all of its bells and whistles, is not really up to par with the over 20 years old CoolEdit.   That is unfortunate as it seems pretty solid in other areas.   Please add this feature to make it my audio editing software of choice.

...or PLEASE show me that im just losing my mind and that this feature is there but I'm just just not seeing it.

Thank you.

-sn

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/19/2021, 2:24 AM

@GhostTrain If I have a single big file with many sounds I just use the Auto-Region feature and export every region into a single fine. This just takes seconds.

rraud wrote on 5/19/2021, 10:34 AM

You could also make a selection on the timeline and select "Edit> 'Trim/Crop" (Ctrl+ T key shortcut) and 'Save as' to create a new file. There are also options to open the file after 'Save as' or remain on the same timeline.
Adding 'Markers' (M key shortcut) or 'Regions' (R key shortcut) facilitates ID'ing and selecting sections.
As @SP. stated, extracting 'Regions' is fast if there are multiples.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @GhostTrain.
FYI, this is a users group and no one here is a Magix employee including the moderators.

PS- I also used Syntrillium's CoolEdit Pro way back when, but abandoned it in favor of Sound Forge and .. Vegas (which was initially a (audio-only) multi-track DAW).

GhostTrain wrote on 5/19/2021, 12:49 PM

@GhostTrain If I have a single big file with many sounds I just use the Auto-Region feature and export every region into a single fine. This just takes seconds.

Like I said, i do this manually. Auto works ok but its not always reliable.

GhostTrain wrote on 5/19/2021, 1:01 PM

@rraud thanks for the welcome.

You could also make a selection on the timeline and select "Edit> 'Trim/Crop" (Ctrl+ T key shortcut) and 'Save as' to create a new file. There are also options to open the file after 'Save as' or remain on the same timeline.
Adding 'Markers' (M key shortcut) or 'Regions' (R key shortcut) facilitates ID'ing and selecting sections.
As @SP. stated, extracting 'Regions' is fast if there are multiples.

Im familiar with these. I actually used to use the Trim method in CoolEdit too before realizing Save Selection was quicker. It did cross my mind since trying out Sound Forge. While not as fast it might still be the next best method.
I personally feel the other methods are not worth the time and trouble unless I had no other options.

Ideally Id want to not slow down the current process. I did send a message to support in hopes they'd pass it to the devs. Never know. Sometimes they listen and add features.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Rednroll wrote on 5/24/2021, 4:23 AM

Sound Forge can save selected regions as a project file if saving the selected areas are important to you.

I'll throw the method I use in SF your way, where you can check it out to see if this works for you.

To do what you described, I have always made the selection that I needed in the main open wave file window, just as it sounds you are doing in AA. I then just drag and drop that selection outside of that main window, and SF will create a new window with just that selection, and then I save that new window as a separate file. This sounds like what you are trying to achieve and it may not be obvious but has always been a pretty slick feature I've really liked in SF over AA since drag and drop was easier for me then continually going to a menu item.

If that isn't quite as efficient as you prefer, Sound Forge also supports scripting where I would be surprised if there wasn't a script out there of save selection as a new file, where script icons can be created so you just need to click on a button to run that script. However, I'm just used to doing it the above method way, where I prefer it over the AA method because I always enjoyed the drag and drop functionality in SF over going to the menus to create separate files from selected portions.

Walter.I wrote on 5/25/2021, 5:11 AM
To do what you described, I have always made the selection that I needed in the main open wave file window, just as it sounds you are doing in AA. I then just drag and drop that selection outside of that main window, and SF will create a new window with just that selection, and then I save that new window as a separate file.

Learned something again - elegant, simple and practicable.
Thanks!

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

GhostTrain wrote on 9/13/2021, 1:54 AM

Sound Forge can save selected regions as a project file if saving the selected areas are important to you.

I'll throw the method I use in SF your way, where you can check it out to see if this works for you.

To do what you described, I have always made the selection that I needed in the main open wave file window, just as it sounds you are doing in AA. I then just drag and drop that selection outside of that main window, and SF will create a new window with just that selection, and then I save that new window as a separate file. This sounds like what you are trying to achieve and it may not be obvious but has always been a pretty slick feature I've really liked in SF over AA since drag and drop was easier for me then continually going to a menu item.

If that isn't quite as efficient as you prefer, Sound Forge also supports scripting where I would be surprised if there wasn't a script out there of save selection as a new file, where script icons can be created so you just need to click on a button to run that script. However, I'm just used to doing it the above method way, where I prefer it over the AA method because I always enjoyed the drag and drop functionality in SF over going to the menus to create separate files from selected portions.

That sounds interesting, but also like a lot of extra work, which defeats the purpose. I just wanna make my selection, press the hotkey to save it, then move on to the next. The feature just does not exist in SF (yet). I did pass this on to support and they said they agreed it should exist and forwarded it to the devs, but we'll see if anything ever comes of it. Till then, im not worried about it. CoolEdito Pro 2 still works and still out muscles the clunky current gen audio editors when it comes to quick performance, fast simple edits and actions. SF comes close though. Thanks anyway for the pointers.

rraud wrote on 9/13/2021, 10:36 AM

@GhostTrain, have you experimented with the 'Event Tool' ? ("Edit> Tool" menu or toolbar icon) In this mode, cut/copy selections can be pasted can be dragged around the timeline and easily inserted, (The same behavior when dragging files in). x-fades are easy to add as well. Then return to the (normal) 'Edit tool' to lock the added selection in, (Edit menu or toolbar icon), . There are Event tool options are in the "Edit> Event" and "Options> Event" menu.

- Sound Forge would remember where the files were saved so the user can quickly select and save additional selections

"Options> Preferences> General> Open default workspace on start up'. This will open the last saved file and location

"Save Selection..." Icon that can be added to the toolbar

The toolbar (and keyboard shortcuts) can be fully customized.
Customize the toolbar, "Options> Preferences> Toolbar" , and click the 'Customize' button.
Customize keyboard shortcuts, "Options> Customize keyboard"