SOUND FORGE IN PARALLELS FOR MAC

Burton-Allan wrote on 12/13/2021, 2:18 PM

Hi, I'm considering buying a new M1/Max Macbook Pro. I would need to run Sound Forge PRO and Vegas Pro in Parallels. I have an older version of Sound Forge Pro, version 11, now running on Boot Camp with Windows 7. Would this work with the new Mac chip in Parallels? Also, would Sound Forge Pro 11 work on Windows 11? Yes, I know I can upgrade that or buy the MAC version of Sound Forge, but, I like version 11 because it had the Izotope bundle and I really like that plug-in Exciter and Compressor, etc. better than the newer plug-ins. I don't want to lose those plug-ins, so, I still use the older version, very often. Izotope no longer even sells them stand alone. Those were the best plug-ins I love and I want to keep using them as long as I possibly can. So, I want to still be able to use Sound Forge 11 with Windows 10 or 11 and if I buy the MAC, it would need to run on Parallels with the new M1 chip. If anyone knows if and how Sound Forge will work on the new M1 chip in Paralles, I'd really appreciate to know. Thank You.

Comments

rraud wrote on 12/13/2021, 4:49 PM

I have zero experience with Sound Forge or Vegas on Bootcamp or other mac/win OS cobs.

Otherwise Sound Forge 11 and other legacy versions of SF and Vegas (SF Pro 9, 10 and VP-9 in my experience) run just fine on Win 10. I would assume the same for Win 11.

I believe SF Pro 11 included iZotope's Nectar Elements, which was a VST-2 plug-in. iZ's Mastering Suite II which was included with SF Pro 10 was Direct X plug-ins. That had a really nice multiband comp, exciter and imager, those plugs also ran w/o issue on the 32bit versions of SF and Vegas on Win 10.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Burton-Allan

emmrecs wrote on 12/14/2021, 3:59 AM

@Burton-Allan

Although I am not a Mac owner or user my understanding is that neither Parallels nor Bootcamp nor any other emulator can be installed on a Mac running the new M1 chip. (They need an intel-based Mac.) So, you then cannot install any version of Windows in order to install and run either Sound Forge or Vegas Pro.

Also, do be aware that Sound Forge for Mac will NOT install or run under any version of OSX later than Catalina (see this pinned post for all the details about this.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

GabbyD wrote on 7/24/2023, 3:13 AM

Perhaps the sitatuion has changed since emmrecs posted but Parallels works fine on mac M1. However, there is a major caveat - the installed version of Windows is ARM and not x32 or x64. This means that all software you try to install must also be compiled for ARM hardware and I don't think Magix provides an ARM version of Sound Forge.

emmrecs wrote on 7/24/2023, 3:23 AM

@GabbyD

Thanks for the update.

I don't think Magix provides an ARM version of Sound Forge

Correct, so unfortunately, installation and use of SF is still not possible.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 7/24/2023, 4:12 PM

@Burton-Allan, @GabbyD

Hi

While Sound Forge may install and work on Parallels, it is likely that there will be audio latency issues, Sound Forge needs direct access to the sound card via ASIO to minimise latency.

AFAIK Parallels does not emulate ASIO, nor can SF access the MAC audio chipset directly.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.