Sound Forge ACL hangs when doing Loudness Adjustment

Timothy-Larson wrote on 3/8/2021, 5:44 PM

I had Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab 2 and recently updated to 3. Using ACL 2, I had no problems with the program before. I think the problems started after the Windows 10 update to 20H2. I can possibly get 1 mp3 to finish, but then it hangs up. The only way to close it is with the task manager. I thought maybe it was the mp3s, as I used flacs before. I tried the flacs and the same problem. I upgraded to ACL 3 thinking that it might have been ACL 2 with the Windows update, but same problem. I did a clean install of windows, but it is the same version, so same problem.

Inspirion 15 Laptop

Windows 10
Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.844)
Processor Intel i3-4030U CPU @ @1.90GHz
RAM 8.00 GB

Audio Realtek High Definition Audio
Display Intel HD Graphics Family

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/9/2021, 2:15 AM

@Timothy-Larson It would be very helpful if you can make a screenshot of your audio settings in the program settings.

Timothy-Larson wrote on 3/9/2021, 6:55 PM

The only thing I changed was the target volume to -10.00 and the Adjustment Level to 75.00%. It worked when the target volume was -15.00, but it doesn't now either. I haven't changed any other setting. If there is a setting in particular, let me know.

emmrecs wrote on 3/10/2021, 4:29 AM

@Timothy-Larson

A slight longshot, but can you attach here or provide a download link to one of the mp3 files with which you are having problems?

My computer spec is in my signature (so I don't use Realtek Audio, for example) but I'd like to try to see if I can replicate the problem, using SFACL 3, and the settings you show.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Timothy-Larson wrote on 3/10/2021, 5:44 PM

Here is one.

emmrecs wrote on 3/11/2021, 5:28 AM

@Timothy-Larson

Thanks for the file.

Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to download it; I continually receive a "Network Error" message. Can you upload it to a file-sharing site somewhere, e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc., etc., and then post the link here?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

emmrecs wrote on 3/11/2021, 7:10 AM

@Timothy-Larson

Thanks for the link.

Downloaded, opened in SFACL 3, copied your Loudness settings and pressed OK. Initially, nothing seemed to happen, no obvious "changes", progress bar did not move (although my CPU fan rapidly picked up speed, suggesting "something" was happening) and so, for a while, I thought that I was seeing the same freeze as you.

But No. After about 15 or 20 seconds, suddenly, without warning, the app "unfroze" and the changed file was visible on the screen, and playable.

So, I wonder if this is "simply" a case of you needing to be prepared to "wait" a little longer for the processing to happen?

Just out of interest, I repeated the test in SFACL 2. This time the change was much faster, almost instantaneous. So, there certainly seems to be some kind of "problem" in version 3, which you might like to raise a Support ticket about via this page, and refer in your ticket to this thread.

There is clearly some kind of problem here; if the desired change can happen almost instantaneously in version 2, version 3 certainly ought not to be slower, but on your original question as to why it doesn't happen at all for you in either version I honestly have no idea. The fact that it does work for me would seem to suggest there is something on your computer blocking the process. If you do raise a Support ticket you will almost certainly be asked to download and run the Magix SysChk utility, which will thoroughly analyse your whole computer and, once all the data has been uploaded to Magix Technical staff it might enable them to suggest what is causing the problem for you.

Jeff

Timothy-Larson wrote on 3/11/2021, 5:12 PM

Thank you. I know ACL2 was great. I don't what happened to it or ACL3.