Sound Forge 17 Pro - Fx Plugin render adds 170ms to end of track

FB33 wrote on 11/22/2023, 10:18 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue when I apply an Fx_plugin_chain to an audio sample.

I am using Fab Filter Pro-Q3 to run a Low Pass Filter on my audio samples and after completing the task, I am noticing that Sound Forge keeps adding 0.170ms to the end of the file for some reason.

Does anyone know of a fix to stop Sound Forge from doing this, as it is a nuisance having to constantly delete this after every FX_Plugin_Chain render. Or is it an issue with Pro-Q3?

I never had this problem using Sound Forge Pro 12, so was wondering if it is a settings fix or something wrong with the program. A friend of mine is having a similar issue, except the extra audio is being added to the beginning of the file as opposed to the end of the file with mine.

Post FX Snapshot

Pre FX Snapshot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comments

SP. wrote on 11/23/2023, 3:10 AM

@FB33 In case you edit compressed audio files make sure to activate to always proxy compressed audio files in the program preferences.

johnebaker wrote on 11/23/2023, 3:47 AM

@FB33

Hi

In addition to @SP.'s comment, is the low pass filter set with a 'brick wall', ie high rate of cut-off slope, if so this can cause a resonance which may extend the audio by a very small amount.

In this case, try changing the cut-off so that it is 'eased in and out'

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rraud wrote on 11/23/2023, 10:47 AM

If you are saving the audio as an MP3 , the encode process inherently adds a space the head and tail of the file, but usually only a few milliseconds. I have not used FabFilter plugs.

FB33 wrote on 11/23/2023, 3:30 PM

@FB33

Hi

In addition to @SP.'s comment, is the low pass filter set with a 'brick wall', ie high rate of cut-off slope, if so this can cause a resonance which may extend the audio by a very small amount.

In this case, try changing the cut-off so that it is 'eased in and out'

John EB
Forum Moderator

Hi johnebaker, unfortunately this did not work either, tried to low pass at -6db all the way through to brickwall with all settings, and still get the extra 170ms after the render. I am rendering as 48Khz 16Bit WAV files.

Thanks for the help though.

FB33 wrote on 11/23/2023, 3:31 PM

@FB33 In case you edit compressed audio files make sure to activate to always proxy compressed audio files in the program preferences.

Hi SP,

This didn't work either. I have tried both yours and johnebakers solutions but nothing seems to work. Thanks for the help though!

FB33 wrote on 11/23/2023, 3:32 PM

If you are saving the audio as an MP3 , the encode process inherently adds a space the head and tail of the file, but usually only a few milliseconds. I have not used FabFilter plugs.

Hi rraud,

I am rendering as 48khz 16bit WAV files. Thanks for the help though!

FB33 wrote on 11/23/2023, 3:53 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue when I apply an Fx_plugin_chain to an audio sample.

I am using Fab Filter Pro-Q3 to run a Low Pass Filter on my audio samples and after completing the task, I am noticing that Sound Forge keeps adding 0.170ms to the end of the file for some reason.

Does anyone know of a fix to stop Sound Forge from doing this, as it is a nuisance having to constantly delete this after every FX_Plugin_Chain render. Or is it an issue with Pro-Q3?

I never had this problem using Sound Forge Pro 12, so was wondering if it is a settings fix or something wrong with the program. A friend of mine is having a similar issue, except the extra audio is being added to the beginning of the file as opposed to the end of the file with mine.

Post FX Snapshot

Pre FX Snapshot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Just a follow up, I have noticed that this only occurs when using the VST3 instance of the Plugin. I just downloaded and tried the VST2 instance and it worked perfectly. Does anyone know why VST3 and Sound Forge do not like each other?

Thanks for the help in trying to figure out the issue. Greatly appreciated.

rraud wrote on 11/23/2023, 4:42 PM

I cannot duplicate the behavior with the VST-3 plug-ins I have. Does the behavior exist when using the plug-in singularly as well as in a plug-in chain? It may have something to do with the FabFilter plug-in(s).

Contact Magix support to find out what the deep-thinkers there have to say.
About the only thing I can think of is to disable 'Zero Crossing' Snapping In the 'Options' menu. You could also try resetting SF (Flie menu).

FB33 wrote on 11/23/2023, 6:05 PM

I cannot duplicate the behavior with the VST-3 plug-ins I have. Does the behavior exist when using the plug-in singularly as well as in a plug-in chain? It may have something to do with the FabFilter plug-in(s).

Contact Magix support to find out what the deep-thinkers there have to say.
About the only thing I can think of is to disable 'Zero Crossing' Snapping In the 'Options' menu. You could also try resetting SF (Flie menu).

It appears to only be an issue with FabFilter ProQ (VST3). Even running it as a singular plugin it still creates the issue. I have contacted Magix and am waiting for them to get back to me. Thanks for the input!

emmrecs wrote on 11/24/2023, 3:51 AM

@FB33

Perhaps it would also be worth contacting the plugin's developers to request their input?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam