Sound Forge 11 Serial Number doesn't work

jonathan-davis wrote on 2/16/2017, 11:15 AM

My company used Sound Forge 9 years ago and I downloaded the demo for Sound Forge 11 a couple a months to test it out. Eventually the demo expired and I was given the pop-up "Your Sound Forge Pro Trial has expired". This all fine and normal.

Today (Feb. 16, 2017) I purchased Sound Forge 11 for $399.95 and immediately downloaded the program. I have a valid serial number and activation code as I have used both of these numbers to register Sound Forge 11 with MAGIX. However, the serial number won't activate the program. I uninstalled the demo version of SF11 (and Noise Redux plug-in) and installed the version i just purchased. But when I open the newly installed SF11, it gives me the same pop-up that says your trail has expired. I put in the SN clicked SUBMIT and it says "This application with now restart to complete the upgrade process." The only option from here is to click OK which opens the "Your trial has expired" window again in a never ending loop.

Inputting the serial number both with and without dashes doesn't work. I've tried copying and pasting the SN and typing it manually to no avail. I've rebooted and applied current Windows updates. I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 on a Dell Precision 3620. It still thinks i have the demo version for some reason and won't accept the serial number.

I haven't been able to find any help on MAGIX's support website (http://www.magix.com/us/support/). If I can't get this resolved within 48 hours, I am going to request a refund. Any suggestions given I will gladly try out. Thanks.

~ Jon Davis

Comments

jonathan-davis wrote on 2/17/2017, 1:10 PM

Called their support number and found out you have to edit the registry to fix this.

By the way, editing the registry is dangerous and if Magix can't provide and non intrusive way to fix this most-simple of issues, then I would say their products are not worth the hassle, even if they are cheaper that Avid and Adobe products.

JeromeAudio wrote on 3/31/2017, 1:57 PM

It seems like the problem is related to having a trial serial number previously installed. I couldn't activate the software with my full version serial number and saw a trial serial was here in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sony Creative Software\Sound Forge Pro\11.0\License

My registered serial number was there too but I'm guessing when the software detects a trial key and the trial has expired then it doesn't bother with the registered license. The software restarts and prompts you for a serial number again. This is a software bug.

To fix the problem exit the program, open regedit and browse to the key above. Make a back up of it to your desktop first. Then delete the folder named License. Exit regedit. Run Sound Forge Pro 11, enter your serial number, and complete the registration to activate the software.

Azurite wrote on 2/25/2018, 1:04 PM

It seems like the problem is related to having a trial serial number previously installed. I couldn't activate the software with my full version serial number and saw a trial serial was here in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sony Creative Software\Sound Forge Pro\11.0\License

My registered serial number was there too but I'm guessing when the software detects a trial key and the trial has expired then it doesn't bother with the registered license. The software restarts and prompts you for a serial number again. This is a software bug.

To fix the problem exit the program, open regedit and browse to the key above. Make a back up of it to your desktop first. Then delete the folder named License. Exit regedit. Run Sound Forge Pro 11, enter your serial number, and complete the registration to activate the software.

Thank you. This worked for me!

N-White wrote on 2/17/2019, 6:49 PM

JeromeAudio this absolutely worked!  Thank you so much!