Song compilation: i.e.combining short recordings into one file.

ug40 wrote on 3/7/2021, 7:35 AM

I am hoping to get some advice on how to combine a number of short recorded files into one file on Sound Forge Audio Studio 12 (SFAS12).. I found a MAGIX tutorial showing how to do this on SFAS 15 but this did not help. I can edit the individual files on SFAS 12 but can't find a way of combining them and then burning them as a sequence of tracks on a CD. I could buy another program e.g Roxio, to do this but feel it should be possible on SFAS 12. I am using SFAS 12 on a Novatech desktop PC with 16GB RAM, running Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit , Service pack 1. (Yes I know W7 is out of date but it is what I have and is still working well). If anyone can help me on this I'd be much obliged, thanks.

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/7/2021, 10:32 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @ug40.

There are a few methods.
- Click a file and drag it into the timeline
- Open the multiple files, cut /copy and paste the segments to a new or existing timeline.
I recommend pasting the file/segments to the timeline using the 'Event' mode. This offers far more options allowing one to click and or drag the files around, create auto x-fades, ect. for audio CDs and compilation type projects.

You can also open the files in the 'Merge' mode ('Open' menu check box ) which will add files sequentially to the same timeline.

ug40 wrote on 3/7/2021, 12:19 PM

Hello rraud; thanks for your help. Glad to know it is possible. I'll try out what you said, see if I can do it and let you know. Regards.

ug40 wrote on 3/7/2021, 5:39 PM

Hello again rraud, I had a good look at the SFAS 12 manual but could not find references to Event mode or Merge mode by name. However, the knowledge that this is possible caused me to read the manual again more carefully and I came across 'Open and Append' under File. After opening the first file in a sequence in the normal way, it seems that selecting 'Open and Append' and then importing the next file in the sequence causes it to open and be attached to the end of the first file. The process can be repeated until all the desired files are open in one long sequence. Even better, track markers are automatically added at the start of each file in the sequence and the file names added. So as far as I can see, all I have to do now is to add an E marker at the end, and the combined sequence file will be ready for burning. This is probably not the most sophisticated method but it looks promising. Can you see any flaws in it? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Regards