[SOLVED] Using an Akai MPD232 with MMM Premium

Captain_Clutch wrote on 1/29/2018, 7:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I own Magix Music Maker Premium and I am satisfied with the performance of the program; however I have an Akai MPD 232 MIDI Pad Controller and it doesn't seem to integrate well with MMM. The Pads work, but none of the other buttons do, (such as the Play/Pause/Record buttons), and I can't seem to get the clock of MMM to control the tempo of the sequencer built into the MPD 232 (it has an external clock option). The MPD 232 is set up in the MIDI options in MMM, as aforementioned the pads work just nothing else. I also only have the USB plugged in from the computer to the MPD 232, but it does have an option for MIDI out and IN, would this make any difference if I connected them up to the computer?

I am fairly new to this whole MIDI business and I understand this is a very specific question, I was hoping one of you would have experience with the Akai MPD 232, or something along those lines. Apologies in advance for poor wording, it was the best I could come up with without showing someone first hand.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/30/2018, 4:33 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

First, can you check the settings on the Audio/MIDI tab of the Program Settings? On my machine, the tab looks like this:

You need to check that the Input and Output Devices are both set to your USB connection. BTW, that is fine to use for what you want since that USB connection is both an input and an output device. You could try with the DIN MIDI sockets that your keyboard has but then you would need a MIDI to USB convertor to be able to connect it to your computer! (If you do this, just remember you need to connect the Out of the keyboard to the In of the convertor, and vice versa; I've lost count of the number of times I've done this wrong and then wondered why no MIDI data was getting through!)

However, I suspect that MM can receive/send only some MIDI data, which may not include receiving the various Play commands that you list and sending a start command to your external sequencer.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Captain_Clutch wrote on 1/31/2018, 12:50 PM

Thanks Jeff, I haven't had a chance to play about with it any further but I will follow your advice when I do, much appreciated.