SF stopped using RAM? Doing anything makes it struggle/freeze/crash.

Gateaux_Boy wrote on 12/7/2020, 2:40 PM

Sound Forge Version 12.1 (Build 170) 64-bit on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with 16GB RAM, i7-3770, using an Edirol FA-66 Audio Interface.

SF used to work well on this same system but now it doesn't, I can't think of anything I could have done to make SF stop working and I haven't changed any hardware. Anything I do threatens to make SF crash, it very slow and using a VST chain is impossible now, even just basic edits make it freeze and get stressed out.

When I check in Task Manager, SF seems to be using anything up to around 200mb of RAM, I think this is the problem, SF seems to be not using my RAM. RAM is working fine with everything else on my PC.

About/Computer says "Memory: Physical memory: 16,325.8 MB - Paging memory available: 32,709.9 MB" so it appears that SF knows the RAM is there.

Any help appreciated - I love SF but if I can't fix this I need to find an alternative and really want to stay with SF if possible.

Comments

rraud wrote on 12/7/2020, 3:24 PM

Do all plug-ins slow Sound Forge down, or just ones in the chainer? Is it the same behavior with all file types, or just lossy files like MP3 and AAC files.

Have you tried resetting SF to the factory defaults and clear the cache? Which is in the 'FIle' menu. Have you tried reinstalling SF?

If all else fails, uninstall with a third-party uninstaller/cleaner, then reinstall.
Revo Uninstall and Geek Uninstall are two that have pro and freeware versions.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Gateaux_Boy.

Gateaux_Boy wrote on 12/8/2020, 5:08 PM

Thanks for the reply & welcome @rraud - much appreciated, I'm glad to find this forum.
I've been using SF since it was Sonic Foundry, I love it, use it mainly for running a plug-in chain to master finished tracks, or cleaning up audio etc.

All plug-ins are slowing SF down, alone or in a chain. It's the same with WAVs and MP3s.

I tried resetting to defaults. Today I reinstalled. I thought it seemed quicker at first, then I set my VST folders, tried a few things out and it's still the same, unusable.

I used a proper uninstaller before I reinstalled SF, as according to your advice.

On Task Manager the most I saw SF using, while struggling too, was 550mb. Nothing else was using up much RAM, I shut down everything else possible.

rraud wrote on 12/9/2020, 9:53 AM

Some plug-in may be running in the background. Look under services to try to find suspects... for instance, the Waves Central controller is know to cause problems on some PCs. .

Otherwise, It may be labor intensive, but move all the VST plugs to a non VST folder and add back a few a time to ID the offender.

Magix Tech Support may be able to help as well.