Searching For Pause

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/27/2021, 11:56 AM

I am an Ableton 11 Suite user. My purpose in considering Magix software is for final dithering (I own dithering software) and for the pause/transition between songs to put together an album of up to 17 or 24 tracks. What Magix software able to do this well as well as it can be done, AFFORDABLY, please?

Thank You.

Comments

rraud wrote on 9/27/2021, 5:13 PM

Sound Forge Pro has a simple bit depth converter and an advanced one with dithering options, if that is what you want. I am not sure about Sound Forge Audio Studio (see the SF version comparison web page). Otherwise. both have mastering tools, can generate playlists and can assemble tracks and burn a CD (..whatever that is).
There is other Magix software as well.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Stephen-Harris2501 .

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/27/2021, 6:33 PM

Thank you for your reply, Hot-Rraud!

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/27/2021, 6:35 PM

One question though, Rraud, you said it does add the pause between the songs. Can you control the duration of the pause, or it a default time?

rraud wrote on 9/28/2021, 10:02 AM

you said it does add the pause between the songs.

If you referring to CD authoring, the 'Red Book' protocol is to have a two seconds of silence prior track 1 and two seconds in between subsequent tracks. However you can set the space between songs to whatever you wish or cross-fade them.

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/28/2021, 10:17 AM

Audio Studio and Forge Pro, do that? What Magix Daw do you own, Rraud?

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/28/2021, 12:54 PM

Does sound forge pro permit the user to opt out of using the on-board pow-r dithering and use a vst dithering instead?

rraud wrote on 9/28/2021, 1:13 PM

What Magix Daw do you own

Sound Forge Pro and Vegas Pro.
Vegas Pro is a video editing application but has a very capable DAW bulit in.. in fact, Vegas was originally published as an (audio-only) DAW application.. Sound Forge (or other audio editors) can be integrated into Vegas' DAW section. The few negative aspects of the Vegas' DAW are, does not support VST-3 plug-in and does not natively support side-chaining,
I have been a Sound Forge user since version 3 and a Vegas user since the audio-only Vegas 1. A rudimentary video editing option was added in Vegas 2. Sound Forge, Vegas and Acid were originally developed and published by Sonic Foundry in the 1990s and were subsequently acquired by Sony.. Magix's acquisition was in 2016.

In the rare instance a client requests an audio CD, I usually use CD Architect which was included with the Sony versions of Sound Forge Pro. As I recall, Sound Forge 9 and prior could only burn Track-At-Once audio CDs. Disc-At-Once 'Red Book' compliant CDs can be burned with CD Arc, SF Pro 10 and newer. AFAIK, Magic versions of Sound Forge Audio Studio also support DAO burning..

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/28/2021, 1:20 PM

But can will the program allow me to bypass the native dithering in Sound Forge Pro and use a Vst2 plug for dithering instead? I uses the PSP Audioware plugin for this, even with Ableton.

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/28/2021, 4:43 PM

Hi, Hot Rraud, Do you know the answer to the question I ask here? It could just be dialing back the native one to neutral and using the vst2. A little light on it sure will go a long way to alleviating buyer’s remorse, later.

Can ya help?

craig-d wrote on 9/29/2021, 2:02 AM

Hi Stephen-Harris2501, it may be a good idea to download the free demo of Sound Forge Pro so that you can test all of these things before investing any money in it. It's available on the Magix website. This way is a bit safer...the demo lasts for 30 days, so you have a good amount of time to see if it fits in to your workflow and the way you like to do things. From your questions, SF should do everything you need, but even then it's a safer idea to try the demo so that you can see if it's a program you like working with before spending that kind of money on it.

rraud wrote on 9/29/2021, 10:39 AM

But can will the program allow me to bypass the native dithering in Sound Forge Pro and use a Vst2 plug for dithering instead?

The processing engine in Sound Forge is floating point 32 bit, so dithering is not taking place in preview (playback). There is a (hidden) menu item to disable it, but it is not recommended.

As Craig stated, try out the demo. If you do decide to purchase it, uninstalling the demo and reinstalling is not necessary, it is the same application and you will only need to enter a 'new' activation code for perpetual use. SF can be activated on two (2) PCs simultaneously if you have a desktop and a laptop for instance.

The '365' subscription version can be activated on only one PC, otherwise it functions the same as the perpetual version.

Stephen-Harris2501 wrote on 9/29/2021, 10:53 AM

Rraud,

How do I find out where to locate the hidden menu? Is it stated clearly in the section covering dithering in the operating instructions?

Thanks,

Stefan