Restore a Crashed file???????

David-Pook wrote on 10/31/2021, 4:18 AM

Not sure if this is possible, but it should be......

I was working on some music, got a great beat going along and was on a roll. The program crashed before I had a chance to save, was about a third into creating something and now its GONE.

Is there a backup file of something that i didnt save, as in, does it save in the background every 5 mins or so, like microsoft does with its own software?

Is there anyway I can get back what i was working on???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

SP. wrote on 10/31/2021, 4:32 AM

@David-Pook Yes, Music Maker saves a backup every ten minutes in the same folder you saved your project file. This means you need to have saved at least once. You can then load the backup file via the file menu.

David-Pook wrote on 10/31/2021, 4:44 AM

@David-Pook Yes, Music Maker saves a backup every ten minutes in the same folder you saved your project file. This means you need to have saved at least once. You can then load the backup file via the file menu.

thats the problem as mentioned. I DID NOT SAVE IT !!!!!!!

Is there no temp file?? like microsoft? Might be a winner if this software had that feature, because with the amount of crashes I have had over the last year, its a no brainer. Looks like my creation is lost forever.....unfortunately :(

David-Pook wrote on 10/31/2021, 5:18 AM

I'm pretty sure previous versions did this, and you could find a temp file and restore it in music maker. Looks like this very useful and important feature was removed for some bizarre reason.

johnebaker wrote on 10/31/2021, 5:52 AM

@David-Pook

Hi

. . . . I'm pretty sure previous versions did this . . . .

They did, however there is an 'issue' with the autosave if you did not change the file name and save the project - the 'backup' was saved as New.mmm, however if you relied on the autosave, or saved as New.mmm, then the next time you start another new project at the first autosave the previous New.mmm would be overwritten.

Good practice, in any software, is to name and save the file before working on it.

In the case of Music Maker the autosave then creates up to 10 backup files, on a cyclic numbering system, ie creates BAK0 to BAK9 then recycles the oldest BAK file, specifically for that project. Also save regularly using versioning ie add a version number to the project file name and save it .

When you go back to the project in another later session, add a version number to the name and save it, so you have multiple fall backs in the case of a crash or corruption of the project file.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

David-Pook wrote on 10/31/2021, 6:37 AM

@David-Pook

Hi

. . . . I'm pretty sure previous versions did this . . . .

They did, however there is an 'issue' with the autosave if you did not change the file name and save the project - the 'backup' was saved as New.mmm, however if you relied on the autosave, or saved as New.mmm, then the next time you start another new project at the first autosave the previous New.mmm would be overwritten.

Good practice, in any software, is to name and save the file before working on it.

In the case of Music Maker the autosave then creates up to 10 backup files, on a cyclic numbering system, ie creates BAK0 to BAK9 then recycles the oldest BAK file, specifically for that project. Also save regularly using versioning ie add a version number to the project file name and save it .

When you go back to the project in another later session, add a version number to the name and save it, so you have multiple fall backs in the case of a crash or corruption of the project file.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Ok thanks, thats useful to know. Where do i find the .BAK files?

David-Pook wrote on 10/31/2021, 7:28 AM

I hope these guys are working on a more stable version, because its crashed again on a new piece just by clicking the STOP button in playing!!!! WTF...... My PC is stable I might add with 64Gb of RAM. This software seems to be getting worse with each release!!

Not annoyed much, just VERY disappointed with it. Luckily I saved this time, but unless I save after adding something every single time, then its going to become unworkable to use.

Seriously, I wish these people would work with what they are chucking out. What a complete waste of time this is becoming.

johnebaker wrote on 10/31/2021, 7:44 AM

@David-Pook

Hi

. . . . Where do i find the .BAK files? . . . .

They are either in the default project folder specified in the program settings or same folder as the project file has been saved to if different.

. . . . because its crashed again on a new piece just by clicking the STOP button in playing . . . .

What is MMM version number as found under Help, About and Windows version/build number

. . . . My PC is stable I might add with 64Gb of RAM . . . .

The crash may not be caused by MMM.

What is your computer specification - see this topic for details required and please quote the processor and graphics card/chipset make/model in full. Placing this information in your profile signature will help for future issues.

Is your Windows version up to date and checked for system errors - see this tutorial steps 3 - 11.

Are the graphics drivers up to date?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

David-Pook wrote on 10/31/2021, 8:05 AM

@David-Pook

Hi

. . . . Where do i find the .BAK files? . . . .

They are either in the default project folder specified in the program settings or same folder as the project file has been saved to if different.

. . . . because its crashed again on a new piece just by clicking the STOP button in playing . . . .

What is MMM version number as found under Help, About and Windows version/build number

. . . . My PC is stable I might add with 64Gb of RAM . . . .

The crash may not be caused by MMM.

What is your computer specification - see this topic for details required and please quote the processor and graphics card/chipset make/model in full. Placing this information in your profile signature will help for future issues.

Is your Windows version up to date and checked for system errors - see this tutorial steps 3 - 11.

Are the graphics drivers up to date?

John EB

John, its a high spec PC. I dont need to label all my components. They are all high end.

I am running windows 11 as of last week, but I have found windows 11 is absolutely solid in its build and stable. All drivers for all components are kept up to date automatically, so no issues there. Trust me when I tell you, its MMM that is NOT stable. Pretty sure others have reported crashes, its not just me!!

Graham-Hawker wrote on 10/31/2021, 3:06 PM

I am running windows 11 as of last week,.

Trust me when I tell you, its MMM that is NOT stable.

While I agree that the latest Music maker has stability problems we can't be sure that it is fully compatible with Windows 11. At the moment Music Maker requires Windows 10 or Windows 8.

johnebaker wrote on 10/31/2021, 5:11 PM

@David-Pook

Hi

. . . . its a high spec PC. I dont need to label all my components. They are all high end. . . . .

You may not need to provide you computers specs, however we do not know what you have to base our answers on.

Information on hardware, and the version of the program is essential in determining where faults/issues may be., without this information we cannot help you.

John EB