"Renew the Update Service" spam cancels actual SoundForge update.

Grummulthrus wrote on 4/11/2022, 12:53 AM

Hi, I cannot tell if this is one problem or two because the UI is so cryptic.

When I start SoundForge, two things happen:

1. Immediately, I get a pop-up message to update to 16.0.
  2. A few seconds later, I get "Renew the Update Service" spam.

If I click the first pop-up, to update to 16.0, SoundForge produces the "Renew the Update Service" pop-up a few seconds later. The second pop-up cancels the 16.0 download.

On the other hand, if I wait for the second pop-up to appear, then click "Start installation" on that, it requests permission to change system settings, then ... ends, from what I can tell. No updates are downloaded. There is no progress bar, or any other indicator of anything happening.

Is this one problem? Two? Is it really (as I suspect) a pair of mystery-meat pop-ups with no useful information that literally cancel one another?

Thanks.

Comments

craig-d wrote on 4/11/2022, 4:18 AM

Hi @Grummulthrus...there are already three or more posts about this problem...the update service message is simply a glitch...it has no effect on the program whatsoever. you can simply close the window and ignore it, as annoying as that is. the developers of the program are releasing a real update in two weeks that will remove this update service notification altogether, and spare us the annoyance. hope that helps!

Grummulthrus wrote on 4/11/2022, 4:43 AM

Hi @Grummulthrus...there are already three or more posts about this problem...the update service message is simply a glitch...it has no effect on the program whatsoever. you can simply close the window and ignore it, as annoying as that is. the developers of the program are releasing a real update in two weeks that will remove this update service notification altogether, and spare us the annoyance. hope that helps!

I understand well the problem with "Renew the Update Service" alone. I've read those posts. That's at most half of my issue. The problem that I am seeing is this: "Renew the Update Service" cancels the updater for Soundforge 16.0 when it pops up. There is no way to ignore this because it closes and cancels my 16.0 updater download, and the updater window simply disappears.

emmrecs wrote on 4/11/2022, 5:11 AM

@Grummulthrus

If you search the forum for "Update Notifier" you will find, as @craig-d says, several threads on this. Many of them include at least one solution to prevent the pop-up notice appearing.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

rraud wrote on 4/11/2022, 10:03 AM

If you just wish to update SF to current build, select "Check for updates" in the 'Help' menu. I have not read reports of the notifier interfering with the SF program update, which is a separate application from the Notifier.