Removing Vocals

ksnider wrote on 10/9/2021, 9:47 PM

I have Sound Forge Audio Studio 15 and I'm trying to remove vocals. The tutorials I'm finding (for 14 not 15) say it's performed with Channel Converter under Process. I don't have Channel Converter under Process. I looked everywhere else as well. Can anyone advise on the process for removing vocals and/or where the channel converter is located?

Comments

SP. wrote on 10/10/2021, 3:55 AM

@ksnider I have this menu in Sound Forge Pro 15. I think you need the Pro version for this features.

rraud wrote on 10/10/2021, 10:13 AM

If the 'Channel Converter' process was included in AS-14, it should also be in AS-15, . the menu assignment may have changed though. Search the on line help menu,

That said, the channel converter process uses the 'sum and difference' method of cancellation, which works on ..some.. material, where vocals (and vocal Fx) are panned dead-center in a stereo mix. Unfortunately, it removes other dead-center material as well.
There are third-party vocal remover software that uses AI. Steinberg's 'SpectraLayers Pro' does this quite well with the 'extract stems' function. FYI, SLP is included with the Sound Forge Pro Suite version. I would think iZotope's 'RX Advanced' can remove vocals from a mix. SpleeterGUI is a lower cost 'stem' option but I have not used it.

Otherwise @ksnider, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community.

SP. wrote on 10/10/2021, 10:55 AM

@ksnider I would also suggest you try the free trial of RipX DeepRemix https://hitnmix.com/remix-software/

You need a modern graphics card for fast processing. It will take much longer on a processor.

The vocal extraction quality is much better than what RX, SpectraLayers or Spleeter can do. Of course it is not perfect, you still get phasing but it leaves a lot less vocal artefacts in the track and the isolated vocals are much cleaner.