Comments

rraud wrote on 6/15/2021, 11:56 AM

The primary frequency for a ground-loop type hum is usually at 50 or 60Hz. You can attenuate it with a parametric or paragraphic EQ notch filter. You may want to notch out the harmonic frequencies as well, but less than the root frequency. A noise reduction plug-in can be used as well, either alternately or in conjunction with the EQ notch filter
Some of the EQ plug-ins and NR tools may have de-hum presets, but I am not very familiar with what is available in Audio Studio.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Robert-Lumpkin

Robert-Lumpkin wrote on 6/15/2021, 1:42 PM

Hello,

Forgive me if I didn't make myself clear. I have already recorded a live message and I know that the hum is generated from the PC. The software I used to record was not Sony Sound Forge, normally I use Audacity to record and Sound Forge to edit. In this case can I use Sound Forge to lift the hum from the recording, and if so what is that process?

Thanks for your response

rraud wrote on 6/15/2021, 3:03 PM

Regardless of where the hum originated, here is a screenshot of a general 60Hz de-hum setting using the Ozone Elements EQ (which SF-AS has). No guarantee it will work in your case since I cannot analyze or hear your file issue. I can post the Ozone preset if a 60Hz hum is your issue.
For a more accurate recommendation, post a sample clip in Dropbox, WeTransfer or other cloud site.

Rednroll wrote on 6/17/2021, 5:19 PM

That sir what you have going on there sounds like a poor recording where the input level of the audio you were trying to record was not set properly.....pronounced, it was set WAY too low. Then what you are additionally hearing is most likely the high noise floor of a poor quality sound card, such is typical of recording through the built-in line/mic input of a laptop. It really didn't matter which software you used to record it, the problem is likely caused by user error of not setting good input record levels while using a non optimal sound card hardware to record through which are problems created before the audio signal even reached the software. You are therefore observing what is referred to in the audio world as a very poor Signal to Noise ratio recording.

It can be improved, but will not be of very good quality (ie garbage in/garbage out).

Let me give a few cracks at it and see what may be your best options.

P.S. rraud, gonna give that Sony Noise Reduction a whirl now that I got it showing up in SFP. 😉

Rednroll wrote on 6/17/2021, 5:28 PM

Attempt 1: Sound Forge Noise Reduction Plugin

Observed some audio artifacts added due to so much Noise reduction being applied.

Using Sound Forge Noise Reduction Plugin.

1. Capture Noise Print, Reduced noise using Magix Noise reduction plugin, reduce noise by over -45dB Pass-1

2. Sound Forge volume, add +18dB of gain

3. Reduced noise using Magix Noise reduction plugin, reduce noise by over -35dB Pass-2

See what you think.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1icpIoYOTK_FB7R-E6FtNMQyXKdXObo5J/view?usp=sharing

Rednroll wrote on 6/17/2021, 10:35 PM

Attempt 2: (3rd Party VST2-64bit Plugins)

Likely some plugins you may not have, results produced less artifacts.

1. Normalize to -0.3dB

2. Waves X-Noise noise reduction, learn noise, reduce noise pass-1

3. knock down the 60hz hum some with Ozone9 - EQ notch filter, rolled off some of the high frequency hiss with a Low-pass filter set at 8Khz.

4. Waves X-Noise noise reduction pass-2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vsyTulcLIiJsmvnwQKubereJzfAsO2VO/view?usp=sharing

Rednroll wrote on 6/17/2021, 10:57 PM

Attempt 3: (SFP included plugins)

Some flangy sound artifacts preset

1. Normalize to -0.3dB

2. Apply Sequoia FX Dehisser; Pass-1

3. Use Sound Forge Graphic EQ to knock down 60Hz Hum

4. Apply Sequoia FX Dehisser; Pass-2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SSzA9BtNqYrZl-ipt1QcqrjwbQTuergO/view?usp=sharing

Rednroll wrote on 6/17/2021, 11:45 PM

Attempt 4: (Izotope RX-7 plugins)

Observed, high frequency loss of instrument

1. Normalized to -0.3dB

2. Applied RX-7 Spectral De-Noiser Pass-1

3. Applied RX-7 De-Hum (60Hz no harmonics preset)

4. Applied RX-7 Spectral De-Noiser Pass-2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S2DZvBTpFyEggthip6bQ6q8Mae4LEjI7/view?usp=sharing

Rednroll wrote on 6/18/2021, 8:02 AM

As an overall summary of what needs to be done to help improve this recording in my opinion.

1. The use of some type of hiss/noise reduction needs to be applied. The signal of the actual recording is so low that it is buried in the noise floor and therefore about 75dB of total noise reduction needs to be applied to reduce the noise hiss and improve the signal to noise ratio. A low-pass filter may help as well starting at 8Khz. I observed there was not much signal of the instrument above 8Khz where the filter helped reduce the hiss noise above 8Khz without effecting the tonal quality of the instrument.

2. The overall gain of the sound file needs to be raised about +20dB (the reason I used the normalize function)

3. There is a 60Hz hum in the signal, where a single narrow band notch filter should be applied reducing the 60Hz hum by about -18dB.

SP. wrote on 6/18/2021, 8:15 AM

@Rednroll This are some really helpful tipps. Have you thought about posting them as a tutorial in the tutorial section in this forum?

xman_charl wrote on 6/18/2021, 12:43 PM

use this VST, Acon Digital DeNose 2...

works very well