Recording Volume and Playback

coraly wrote on 7/19/2020, 4:51 PM

Ok hi . Multi questions, and here goes: I purchased MAGIX Software GmbH and Sound Forge was also included, (but now notclear about serial numbers not working for Sound Forge).So there is an additional purchase to make?

Second question is about microphone recording. I have Lenovo laptop 2.40 GHZ, 8.00 GB,64 bit 0s,,x64-based processor, Windows 10 Home, version 1903, Behringer interface, (Uphoria-UM2) S190107358AVV, using Peavy PVM22 microphone. As far as settings on Magix: I'm not sure which driver to select under audio midi, and on settings b) how to select for playback. After I recorded vocal sample, I switched selection to hear playback. but I can only hear my recording in real time. I do not see where to adjust volume of recording itself on Magix because master volume and recording volumes are different, I adjusted gain through the interface. I must increase recording volume somehow and then choose the right setting for playback.-not through headphones, I know. But speaker doesn't seem to play my vocals. It does playback the other tracks , prerecorded and there in pre-mix. Hope its easy. Any suggestions?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 7/20/2020, 3:41 AM

@coraly

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

First, can you tell us exactly which version and variant of MM you have? Mention of Sound Forge makes me think this is the latest (2021) version (aka version 29) but is this the Plus or Premium variant? If it is the Premium variant of the latest edition I do not think Sound Forge Audio Studio, which is what came bundled with that version, actually requires a separate serial number.

Second, audio driver: you need to download from the Behringer site the ASIO4All driver which they supply and install it. This should then be selected in the Audio/MIDI tab, ASIO driver in the Program Settings screen in MM.

Recording level is then entirely controlled by the gain controls on the Behringer unit through the "Mic/Line Gain 1" control. As far as I can see (from the web site) you would normally playback/listen through the headphone output on the UM2, whose level is controlled by the "output" knob on the unit.

One of the very few limitations of using the ASIO driver model is that you cannot select the UM2 as input and your laptop speakers as output without, as you have discovered, changing settings on that Audio/MIDI tab. However, since the driver is ASIO4All, if you go to its "Advanced" screen you should be able to select the UM2 as Input and your laptop speakers as Output. But be very careful in this scenario; the chances of feedback/howl round (very loud "screeching" sound) are very high!

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

coraly wrote on 7/20/2020, 6:32 PM

Jeff, yes I see what you meant. I heard loud screeching and howling so to speak afterward last night. So i will do as suggested and get the driver then begin again and go from then on and get some traction. I'll write again if I think of something, and thank you.

coraly wrote on 7/22/2020, 11:00 AM

Jeff- Sorry I skipped telling you which variant of Music Maker I have. I don't know! I thought I had the latest and paid for an upgrade. It came with sound forge. I do keep getting ads for "upgrade to Magix premium 2021", and that may be automatic. Ok-now I rechecked. The confirmation said its Music Maker 2020 Premium Edition. ------
("Your order number is:  Removed by Moderator") I'll proceed unless there is an idea I could utilize to get access or correctly learn the software. Thanks.

emmrecs wrote on 7/22/2020, 1:24 PM

@coraly

To check exactly which version of MM you have go to Help>About Music Maker; the screen that opens will tell you. The latest, 2021, version is 29.0.1.16. If you have 2020, its latest release is 28.0.3.51.

You will see I have removed your order number from your latest post; you should never post such confidential information to a public forum like this one.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam