Recording facility blocked?

radioguy wrote on 11/18/2021, 2:04 PM

Sound Forge Pro 10 and 15 are both experiencing this issue. When the record window is opened, I am seeing levels on the record meters that should NOT be there. Looks almost like a feedback signal on both channels. Audio signals from a local mic or music file playback is not registering at all. I only see the strange level on the meter monitor. This is the first time I have experienced the issue. System is running Windows 10 with an Antelope sound card. Playback sound through the system is functioning normally. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

rraud wrote on 11/18/2021, 5:46 PM

I am not familiar with the Antelope sound card. you might try a different device driver. The MS Sound Mapper and Classic Wave Driver are usually trouble-free

Normally, if a mic or line input is enabled and armed in SF, you would see the noise floor, if the meter's peak range is set to -78dB or lower,. You can change the meter's peak range setting by right-clicking the meter and selecting a higher range -60 to 0dB or -42 to 0dB or higher.

If you hear (and see) non-stop feedback, turn the 'monitor' setting to Off (or Auto) which should stop the signal loop (feedback).
In SFP 11 and subsequent Magix versions, the 'Monitor' switch is in the 'View> Record options' window. In SFP-10 and other legacy versions, the 'Monitor' setting is in the 'Transport> Record' window (keyboard shortcut Ctrl+ R).

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @radioguy.

radioguy wrote on 11/18/2021, 7:58 PM

Thanks for your response. I really don't believe this is a sound card issue. I'm working with SFP10 for now. Followed your suggestion regarding device driver(s). No change. SF doesn't seem to "see" the incoming audio, whether from a playback file or the local mic. Turning the Monitor function "off" removes the phantom meter reading, but nothing records in the program whether the monitor is on or off. Playback functions of a file in SFP10 are working normally, as the waveform shows and playback is OK. It's only the record function that presents the issue, and this is the first time I see the issue after using the program for years. I'm running all functions through an Audioarts Air4 console that was installed over a year ago. I don't believe that element has any influence on the problem.

If this is, in fact, a feedback issue, I have no idea where it could be coming from. Even with all faders on the Air4 set to null and circuits closed, that "phantom" signal when the record window is opened in SFP10 is still present. The fact that the issue also presents itself in SFP15 would logically rule out a problem with both of the software installations. The bottom line questions would be, why is there no incoming signal to the program(s), and where is that phantom meter signal coming from? All was working normally until today, and no changes were made to the setup.

Again, many thanks for your welcome to the forum, your input, and any other ideas you might be able to bring forward.

MFG

radioguy wrote on 11/18/2021, 10:21 PM

Rick,

Issue resolved. Not sure how or why, but it seems there was a comm issue with the sound card. I unplugged power from it, reconnected, and then had to do a bit of tweaking on the R & L channels to get the sound coming through. But in any case, the phantom feedback disappeared. One for the books.

Thanks again for your input.