Comments

rraud wrote on 2/9/2022, 10:36 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @John-Palatucci.

Confirm you do not have any 'pre-roll' time enabled.
Open "Record options" View menu) or (Ctrl+Alt+5) and check other settings and record levels.
'Arm' recording (record ready) (Transport menu) or (Ctrl+Shift+A)

If the delay still exists, experiment with the record buffering settings. "Options> Preferences> Audio"

Check your sound card/interface settings as well and confirm the sample rate of the SF new file is the same.

John-Palatucci wrote on 2/9/2022, 12:08 PM

Thanks, RRaud!
I am not at all tech savvy.
What is "pre-roll" time?
When I open Record Options, what settings and record levels am I looking for? What should they be?
When I open Options>Preferences>Audio, what should those settings be?
I have no idea what my sound card/interface settings are? Sample rate is 44,100 (default?), Bit depth is 16 bit.

I did some poking around as you suggested. Delay still exists. Ugh!

For years in the past, I could simply open a new file, basically hit Record and off I'd go, editing/cut and paste easily as I went.

I am eager to learn. Please help.

rraud wrote on 2/9/2022, 1:10 PM

What is "pre-roll" time?

It starts rolling playback prior to a puch-in recording point, This setting is in View> Record Options> Settings button next to (Manual). All options should be un-checked

I have no idea what my sound card/interface settings are? Sample rate is 44,100 Bit depth is 16 bit.(default?),

44.1kHz / 16 bit is usually the default, Do you have an internal sound card or external USB interface. Internal card settings are typically in the Control Panel> Sound> Record. or in Win 10's 'All settings' search for 'Sound',

The Sound Forge 'Record buffering' setting is in "Options> Preferences> Audio" . Select 'Record' and adjust the 'Record buffering' (seconds)' fader. The default is 1:00. Experment to see if changing plus or minus settings help.

If all else fails, try resetting Sound Forge In the 'File' menu.. Select "Reset and clear cached data". Close and restart Sound Forge
(Alternate method: Hold the "Ctrl + Shift" keys whilst launching Sound Forge will exhibit the same dialog.)

John-Palatucci wrote on 2/17/2022, 6:17 AM

Hi RRAUD,

Thanks for your help and especially your patience.

OK, so I've figured out and tried your suggestions.

- I selected 'Reset and clear cache data' to default settings to no effect.

- tried to reset while holding the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys. Nothing.

- none of the pre-rolls were checked which I take as a good thing.

- as you said, the 'Record buffering' fader default setting is 1:00. I was hopeful but after experimenting a few times there was still no difference in the hesitation when hitting either Record OR Playback. I want to hit either Record or Play and get an immediate response as in the past.

- I assume I'm dealing with an internal sound card. No external device being used save the recording mic that I've used for years.

UPDATE: I originally wrote this reply a couple of days ago. Since then, I tried using a different mic (new mic is a YETI) and the delay was noticeably reduced! Now if I can just figure out how to get playback while the mic is plugged into my laptop, I'll really be in business.

Thanks again. I don't mean to be a pest.  Willing to learn.

Best,

JP

rraud wrote on 2/17/2022, 9:42 AM

if I can just figure out how to get playback while the mic is plugged into my laptop,

Do you hear playback when the USB mic is disconnected? Try a different device driver for playback. "Options> Preferences> Audio",
.. If you are attempting overdub (record a new track whilst playing back previously a recorded tracks), you need a multi-track application. ProTools, Reaper, Acid, Samplitude and even the free Audacity are popular multi-track options. Vegas Pro video also has a substantial multi-track DAW built in, which can be integrated with Sound Forge.
Sound Forge is a multi-channel 'editing' application. It's intended usage and design is different.

John-Palatucci wrote on 2/17/2022, 9:10 PM

Yes, I hear playback when mic is disconnected. Will do.
No overdubbing.
Thanks, thanks, THANKS!

John-Palatucci wrote on 2/21/2022, 9:20 PM

Hi RRaud,
So I discovered something . . . sort of.
In "Audio Settings" in Audio/Record, I clicked on "Audio device type/Magix Low Latency 2016. The delay disappeared, I was able to record (could see it in the Channel Meters) but could not figure out how to playback!
Now what?
Thanks, still, truly. I appreciate it.
JP

rraud wrote on 2/22/2022, 10:17 AM

Try another device driver for playback. You may want to try the ASIO-4-ALL driver which works well for many folks

You must have (or had) Audio Studio installed at some point since SF Pro does not install the Magix Low Latency 2016 driver:driver. There has been many reports of the Magix Low Latency 2016 driver causing all kinds of problems which not only affects SF-AS but can mess up other applications audio on the PC. See the the below thread with instructions for a remedy:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/horrible-static-sound-coming-from-the-left-channel-upon-clicking-recrd--1281638/#ca1700848

John-Palatucci wrote on 2/22/2022, 10:59 AM

Thanks again for the info. Very helpful. Yikes! OK, I'll avoid the MLL2016 driver and will take a look at ASIO-4-ALL.