Comments

Reuben-K wrote on 1/6/2024, 8:11 PM

@Reuben-K

Hi

What changed on the laptop between being OK and getting laggy, eg Windows or program update?

Is the lag related just to Music Maker, which version number (?), or other programs as well.

Is Windows, which version (?) up to date and are there any Windows updates pending a restart of the laptop?

Are you switching off the laptop, ie not sleeping/hibernating or just closing the screen when finished with it for the day?

John EB
Forum Moderator

Hi there, so I'm currently running the latest version of MM premium and it has been lagging so much its unusable. I thought it was maybe because I had too many programs so I completely restored my Laptop as if it was new and then reinstalled Music maker. I have a Very high end Asus i9 Zenbook Duo Pro with all softwares and drivers up to date running on windows 11 pro 32H2. Using Nvidea RTX 3070. Text cursor indicator is OFF and running in administrator still only works faster for a few seconds before the lag sets in. I experimented with FL studio and it runs so smooth and fast so theres deffinitly something in Music maker thats not working. and yes i usually just close the screen when I am done for the day.

Reuben-K wrote on 1/6/2024, 8:16 PM

I just opened it again and It seems to be very temperamental. Its running relatively fast now so I will monitor it and see how it goes. The only thing I did now was i clicked the text cursor indicator on then put it back off. Will see if this fixed the issue.

Reuben-K wrote on 1/6/2024, 8:44 PM

Update: I took a break and closed my laptop screen. After 5 minutes, opened up , resumed and started to notice 3-4 seconds lag when clicking around. I will do a couple more tests to see if I can try at least pin point where the issue may be

SP. wrote on 1/7/2024, 3:48 AM

@Reuben-K Are you running the software on your Intel iGPU or one the Nvidia RTX? Usually, you can force to run it on Nvidia via the right click menu on the program icon.

johnebaker wrote on 1/7/2024, 1:28 PM

@Reuben-K

Hi

. . . . closed my laptop screen. After 5 minutes, opened up  . . . .

How often do you actually shutdown, not just close the screen, and/or do a Restart of the laptop?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Reuben-K wrote on 1/7/2024, 9:47 PM

@Reuben-K Are you running the software on your Intel iGPU or one the Nvidia RTX? Usually, you can force to run it on Nvidia via the right click menu on the program icon.

Ive set it to use Nvidea through the windows app setting but i dont know if it actually works. How do you force run through nvidea ? I dont see the right click option

Reuben-K wrote on 1/7/2024, 9:48 PM

@Reuben-K

Hi

. . . . closed my laptop screen. After 5 minutes, opened up  . . . .

How often do you actually shutdown, not just close the screen, and/or do a Restart of the laptop?

John EB
Forum Moderator

Id say maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Usually when my laptop restarts for software updates

BrauNZ wrote on 2/5/2024, 5:15 PM

Hi, I have just loaded Music Maker onto a brand-new build.

Device name    NewBeast
Processor    13th Gen i9-13900K 3000Mhz

Motherboard: Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Installed RAM    64.0 GB
System type    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I am having the same issue: Music Maker is extremely "laggy". The Text Cursor Indicator is set to "Off", and I have read as much as is relevant here. Any help would be appreciated...

SP. wrote on 2/5/2024, 5:18 PM

@BrauNZ You also tried running Music Maker as administrator?

BrauNZ wrote on 2/5/2024, 6:25 PM

I have updated to the latest version and also run as administrator. It appears to be fine now, thank you... I will keep an eye on it to see if there is any lag over time as I use it.

gjonny wrote on 4/19/2024, 9:29 AM

@SP. @johnebaker

I'm coming from another thread:
  https://www.magix.info/us/forum/new-install-music-maker-2024-laggy-and-crashes--1336575/

Here in this thread, @michael said:  I also loaded it onto a cheapo palm sized mini computer that cost $160 on amazon. Music Maker works great on that one..... so frustrating.

I think this might be a key to why some systems don't have any problems.  In my experience, these mini PCs usually have Windows preinstalled, but not fully configured (ditto for refurbished PCs) -- that's left to the customer to complete.  The upshot of this is that there is only one user configured, and that user will be an Administrator by default.  People who build their own systems or do a Windows Reset will have the same result.  (I'm assuming most users will use the Admin login, rather than adding a non-Admin login.) 

I've done a bit of testing using the Text Cursor, and as far as I can see, running Music Maker from an Admin login has the same effect as setting Music Maker to "Run as Administrator" when using a non-Admin login.

Thoughts anyone?
John

Can-Dive wrote on 4/19/2024, 11:36 AM

I've done a bit of testing using the Text Cursor, and as far as I can see, running Music Maker from an Admin login has the same effect as setting Music Maker to "Run as Administrator" when using a non-Admin login.

Thoughts anyone?
John

@gjonny

I tested your hypothesis but I don't obtain the same results. My user account is set to Administrator. The User Account Control (UAC) is set at the second highest setting. I disabled UAC (lowest setting) but still Music Maker was laggy if I didn't run the actual program as Administrator. As for the the cheap mini computers running Music Maker smoothly, my 10 year old laptop on Win10 with the same Administrator settings as my new laptop on Win 11 runs Music Maker smoothly without running the actual program as Administrator.

johnebaker wrote on 4/19/2024, 12:31 PM

@gjonny

Hi

. . . . In my experience, these mini PCs usually have Windows preinstalled, but not fully configured (ditto for refurbished PCs) -- that's left to the customer to complete.  The upshot of this is that there is only one user configured, and that user will be an Administrator by default. . . . .

This also applies to users who install Windows on their PC's which are not pre-configured, the first account created is always the 'Administrator' account.

The 'Administrator' account does not have all the privileges that the 'Run as Administrator' option has.

This is a security measure to reduce the risks associated with running Windows under a full admin account.

If a user creates a second account for day to day running of Windows then this, by default, is a standard user account with limited privileges and no 'Run as administrator' access.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/19/2024, 12:35 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gjonny wrote on 4/20/2024, 3:38 PM

@johnebaker  @Can-Dive
I think I could have been more explanatory with my comments.

I focused on the Text Cursor for my testing since @SP. has commented on the Accessibility features seeming to be a common thread for many users' problems.

I did my testing on two systems: one with Win10 and MM2023 (v31.x); the other with Win11 and MM2024 (v32.x).  Both systems showed the same results:
A) Administrator login. . .
Music Maker ran fine (no problems) with the Text Cursor enabled.
B) non-Admin ("Standard User") login. . .
1. Music Maker started lagging and sometimes crashing with the Text Cursor enabled.
2. When I set Music Maker to "Run as Administrator" with the Text Cursor enabled, then MM ran fine.  
(Windows asks for an Administrator password before allowing "Run as Administrator" to be set.)

Having gone through this process, I now realize I made a faulty assumption that most users would be working with a non-Admin (Standard User) account.  In reality, I don't know what the proportions of Admin vs non-Admin logins are.  So, while my limited testing results may be valid in themselves, they're not too meaningful.

====

@Can-Dive
I think your new laptop is an unusual case that doesn't fit the typical problem area.  From your process of elimination, we know that Sticky Password is the source of the problem. But we don't know what it's doing in the background that causes the problem -- maybe it uses the Text Cursor, maybe not.  As for your old laptop, see my test details above.

John

Can-Dive wrote on 4/21/2024, 6:10 PM

@Can-Dive
I think your new laptop is an unusual case that doesn't fit the typical problem area.  From your process of elimination, we know that Sticky Password is the source of the problem. But we don't know what it's doing in the background that causes the problem -- maybe it uses the Text Cursor, maybe not.  As for your old laptop, see my test details above.

John

@gjonny

I agree, my new laptop is a unique case where there is a conflict between Sticky Password and Music Maker 2024 within Win 11. Luckily, running Music Maker 2024 as Administrator is a workaround which resolves this issue. Oddly, on my old laptop running Win 10, Sticky Password and Music Maker 2024 do not have this conflict. One test I could conduct (although a bit time consuming) is to save an image backup of my new laptop; install Win 10, Music Maker 2024 and Sticky Password to confirm that the two programs are compatible within the Win10 environment. If it passes, then we know there is something within Win 11 which is contributing to the issue. If it fails, then the only difference between the two laptops is the hardware.

gjonny wrote on 4/24/2024, 4:15 PM

@Can-Dive
>> (although a bit time consuming)
Indeed.  Is it worth the effort?  You and @johnebaker have similar laptops, which also points the finger at Sticky Password.