Product and verson comparisons

William-Yellin wrote on 4/29/2022, 2:47 PM

I was using Sound Forge version 9.0 from Sony on my Windows 7 laptop which is no longer working. I now have new Windows 11 laptop. The old version installed and ran okay. If I order Sound Forge Audio Studio Version 16, what features am I gaining/losing? I had plug-ins for cleaning up scratchy recordings from old 78rpm and 33 1/3 records and Voice Removal. Are they included with Version 16? If not, are either of the old plug-ins useable, or are there new plug-ins for either or both of those functions? Thank you.

Comments

William-Yellin wrote on 4/29/2022, 2:50 PM

Oh!! I forgot to mention that I have 3 more days to get v16 for the discounted price. So, have pity and respond soon.

rraud wrote on 4/29/2022, 5:54 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @William-Yellin.

Do you have Sound Forge (Pro) 9 or the lite version that was included with some Sony turntables.
Check out the Sound Forge comparisons page, some of the items would be the same as SF-9 some not. Basically, the UI has remained the same so you would not have to re-learn much,.
Sound Forge Audio Studio is the low cost version so it has less plug-ins and functions than SF Pro. You can try out the trial version of AS .. or purchase it and upgrade to SF Pro later if you need more than AS offers.
Some of the plug-ins that came with SF-9 will probably still work in SF-16 as well, like the NR-2.0 noise reduction suite and the iZotope mastering suite, though to use the mastering suite, you would need to use the 32 bit version of SF-16. .. which btw will co-exist with the 64 bit SF-16, they share most of the same settings. I have both versions of SF-16 installed and use the x86 version for Direct X iZ Mastering Suite II that was included with SFP-10 (I really like that particular multiband compressor).

William-Yellin wrote on 4/29/2022, 11:33 PM

Thank you for your helpful response. You'll notice I also have SF version 5 installed also. Can you tell from these screenshots what version of SF 9.0 I have installed? I think you can see that I also have a number of other SONY products that I installed from the original installation optical disks. Some appear to be plug-ins. Can you tell whether I have SF Pro? Also, will the plugins that I have work with v16, and do I need to install them again after installing v16? Also, what plugins are available for v16 (not-pro version) and where can I go to get/buy them? Thanks again.

Bill

rraud wrote on 4/30/2022, 12:35 PM

Hi @William-Yellin. Sound Forge-5 is from the original publisher Sonic Foundry .. and was the first version to support 'real time' preview.

You also have (Sony) Sound Forge 9 Audio Studio. (SF. Vegas and Acid and the other apps were acquired by Sony) AS was (and still is) the lite (low-cost) version, so your version of SF-9 would not have included the NR-2.0 noise reduction pack or the (Direct X) iZ Mastering Suite.

Sound Forge Audio Studio 16, has some basic noise reduction tools, but not the advanced Noise Reduction Pack (aka, NR-2.0) or iZ's RX Elements NR tools that are included with SF Pro-16. Pro- 16 also includes iZ's Ozone 9 Elements as well as many other tools stated in the 'version comparisons'.

In any case, you can upgrade to SF-16 at a discounted price using either your SF-5 and SF-9 serial codes.

You may be able to still use CD Arc though. I have not tried it as my Win 10 PC does not have a disc drive. SF-16 also has native tools for authoring and burning audio CDs.