Press Enter to Pause

ray-faiola wrote on 1/25/2022, 8:30 AM

In my previous versions of Sound Forge, when you press ENTER the playback pauses. In Sound Forge 15, when you press ENTER the playback stops and returns to the point where you began. Am I missing some cursor setting? Of course, both the spacebar and ENTER will pause when I select the spacebar/F12 setting in General Preferences. But I want the spacebar to stop and ENTER to pause.

Comments

rraud wrote on 1/25/2022, 10:33 AM

Hi @ray-faiola, that was changed some.  I have no idea why.. or if it was intentional.
In any case, it can be set back to the legacy behavior. Here are my settings, I am not exactly sure what I changed but it worked in SFP15 for me.
 - Go to 'Options> Preferences> General' and confirm the "Spacebar and F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop" option is disabled (not check marked).
- Open the 'Customize Keyboard' and find 'Transport> Toggle Pause' and add "Enter" in the 'Shortcut keys' field .
- In the same 'Customize Keyboard' menu, confirm "Space" is the shortcut keys' entry fpr "Transport> Toggle Play'.

If you are adventurous, can edit your <keyboard.ini> file directly in "AppData> Username> Roaming> MAGIX> SOUND FORGE PRO> 15" with 'Notepad'. Copy / paste, or enter Transport.TogglePause=Enter  under [DataWnd]

btw, I do not think the new "Record Rewind " option at the end of the Options> Preferences> General' menu makes any different in playback.

ray-faiola wrote on 1/25/2022, 12:17 PM

Thanks. The Keyboard Customizer does not accept Enter as a key command. And I checked SF 13 and it does, which is why Enter affects pause. Ugh.

CyberBeat wrote on 1/25/2022, 5:01 PM

I'm not sure either why this was changed, but the default in V15 is to have the option under general > preferences "Spacebar and F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop" to be unchecked. It's been selected by default in all other versions that I know of, so that would have an effect on what you're experiencing. Anyway, you probably want this option to not be selected.

rraud wrote on 1/25/2022, 5:30 PM

The Keyboard Customize does not accept Enter as a key command

Try it in the 'Data Window' tab, The single 'Enter' key command is not available for the Global' shortcuts.

ray-faiola wrote on 1/25/2022, 7:05 PM

I did. No go.

rraud wrote on 1/26/2022, 9:45 AM

I do not know why the 'Enter' key is not an option on your system for the Data Window entries. It works on my PCs (Win 10 and prior).

As I stated. you can manually edit your <keyboard.ini> file with Window's 'Notepad'
"AppData> your user name> Roaming> MAGIX> SOUND FORGE PRO> 15".
Copy / paste, or type in Transport.TogglePause=Enter  under [DataWnd]

btw, the AppData folder is a system folder and is usually hidden by default, so you may need to temporarily unhide it. As I also stated, the preferences setting "Spacebar and F12 Play/Pause instead of Play/Stop" must be unchecked. Disable the Record> Rewind option as well.. though it does make any difference on my PC.

ray-faiola wrote on 1/26/2022, 10:31 AM

Thanks. That's weird. Only in 15! Yeah, I'll go the appdata route. I always have my hidden items "unmasked".

ray-faiola wrote on 1/26/2022, 11:07 AM

Well, there was no [DataWnd] in the Keyboard.ini. So Instead of typing Enter into the keyboard assignment, I actually hit the enter key. It worked. Weird. Thanks for helping!