Plugins causing .frg files to crash at load?

Damon-Mirate wrote on 10/12/2021, 2:50 PM

I am brand new to Sound Forge, purchasing pro 15 yesterday. I am running into a problem - When I save a .frg file that has a plug-in chain consisting of Fabfilter Pro-G, Pro-Q3, Pro C2 and Soundradix PowerAire audio leveler, the file hangs at load. It never finishes loading up, and eventually, the file crashes the program after waiting a couple of minutes.

This happened yesterday with a file I had just started working on - which I attributed to "maybe I screwed up." So I started that file over again today and ran into the exact same problem.

I was at least able to recover my recording by loading SF back up with no file loaded is no problem, and eliminating the VST folders so those plugins would not load, allowing me to export it and process it in Reaper.

A few notes, in case it matters:

• I never clicked "Apply Plugin Chain" so none of the audio renders were final.
  • Also, when I saved both of these files prior to closing the software (with the chain intact), they took a VERY long time to save. I was concerned it would crash (but it eventually did save).
  • All of the above plugins are VST3 64. Also, in case it matters, none of the above give me any issues in Reaper, Ableton, or Cubase.

Comments

rraud wrote on 10/12/2021, 4:16 PM

I personally do not have any of those plug-in to duplicate the issue.

• Are your working on a lossy format media file (MP3, AAC, FLAC, ect) ?
  • Does the plug-in chain preview and process normally in the destructive edit mode? (Fx Favorites> Apply Plug-in Chain)
  • Can you identify a specific plug-in that may be causing the issue? Try removing plug-ins one-at-a-time to find a possible offender? (process of elimination)
  • Does changing the order of the plug-ins make a difference?
  • Do other Fx chains without FabFilter and your others have the same issue?

no issues in Reaper, Ableton, or Cubase.

Apples and oranges, the above are multi-track DAWs, SF is an editing app.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Damon-Mirate.

Damon-Mirate wrote on 10/12/2021, 7:16 PM

@rraud

Regarding applying the plug in chain; I never got to that before the issue came up. It happened after saving, closing the program, and then opening it up a couple of hours later.

I'll reload the plugins and try it again removing one at a time. I suspect it has to do with the chain not being applied to a specific time selection; it's set to be applied to the whole length of the recording.

As far as format, it was dialog recorded directly into SF, to be saved as a wav file a at final export.

This was the first plugin chain I had setup, so in the future I'll try some others.

Thanks for the response.

rraud wrote on 10/13/2021, 12:40 PM

to be saved as a wav file at final export.

Your end-user file format is meaningless in the case. What is the format of the current file you are editing in SFP? If the media is of the lossy type, try activating 'Always proxy lossy formats' (in the settings menu) and re-create the project, which 'may' rectify the crashing issue.

FYI, In the <.frg> project file mode, the audio goes through the 'timeline Fx plug-in chainer' (unless bypassed). The effects are 'applied' to the data when a (new) file is created with "Render as" in the 'File' menu.
When using the 'Fx Favorites> Apply plug-in chain, the Fx are applied directly to the data (or the selected part of the data) when "OK" is clicked. To audition (hear) what is going to be applied, use the "Preview" button . You must click 'Save' before exiting SF though, which will overwrite the originl file (or use 'Save as' to create a new file with the Fx.
btw, automation is not supported in the 'Apply plug-in chain' mode.

btw, 'Save' or 'Save as' in the SFP project mode creates new <.frg> (project) and folder. Otherwise, 'Save' overwrites the audio and 'Save as' creates another audio file.

Damon-Mirate wrote on 10/13/2021, 2:22 PM

Your end-user file format is meaningless in the case. What is the format of the current file you are editing in SFP? If the media is of the lossy type, try activating 'Always proxy lossy formats' (in the settings menu) and re-create the project, which 'may' rectify the crashing issue.

I am using uncompressed with this file.

FYI, In the <.frg> project file mode, the audio goes through the 'timeline Fx plug-in chainer' (unless bypassed). The effects are 'applied' to the data when a (new) file is created with "Render as" in the 'File' menu.
When using the 'Fx Favorites> Apply plug-in chain, the Fx are applied directly to the data (or the selected part of the data) when "OK" is clicked. To audition (hear) what is going to be applied, use the "Preview" button . You must click 'Save' before exiting SF though, which will overwrite the originl file (or use 'Save as' to create a new file with the Fx.
btw, automation is not supported in the 'Apply plug-in chain' mode.

Awesome info. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the functionality. I was aware of the "apply plugin in chain,' but I did not think about "rendering as." But... I should have, it's basically bouncing a copy.

Magix support did ask for a copy of the file after reading the original post, so I am going to add the FX back in and re-save. Thanks for all of your help.