Pencil tool loop playback

Perplexer wrote on 11/13/2023, 12:27 PM

I'm still using a very old version of Sound Forge 6.0 and I'm having a problem keeping the loop playback going on a selected range of a track while I edit it with the pencil tool. I'm removing vinyl clicks and I need to have the playback looping so that I know when I completely removed the click. The problem is that with the pencil tool selected, as soon as I click onto the waveform to edit it, the playback stops.

I've previously used Sound Forge 4.5h which kept the loop playback going as I was editing the waveform with the pencil tool. It also works in Sound Forge 10. So since it works as I want in an earlier version and in a later version, I'm guessing there's some setting somewhere that can be changed to make 6.0 also keep playing while I edit the waveform. Unless there was a bug in that version.

Does anyone know if I can get 6.0 to work as I want?

Thanks.

Comments

rraud wrote on 11/13/2023, 1:40 PM

Hi @Perplexer, I cannot think of a setting off-hand.
Is your loop region activated before the pencil tool is selected (Q key, then play).
As you probably know already, the pencil tool is only available at a high zoom ratio, 32:1 as I recall.

I tested a playback loop which does not stop in SFP-10, 15, 16 and 17 when the pencil tool is active. I currently do not have SF-6 available.

Perplexer wrote on 11/14/2023, 2:35 AM

Hi @Perplexer, I cannot think of a setting off-hand.
Is your loop region activated before the pencil tool is selected (Q key, then play).
As you probably know already, the pencil tool is only available at a high zoom ratio, 32:1 as I recall.

I tested a playback loop which does not stop in SFP-10, 15, 16 and 17 when the pencil tool is active. I currently do not have SF-6 available.

Yes. When I open the file I zoom-in and I select about 1 second of the waveform with the Edit Tool. I then select the Pencil Tool on the toolbar and then press the "Play (space)" button on the upper toolbar or the "Play Normal" button on the bottom control bar. The "Loop Playback (Q)" button is also selected. The playback of the selected 1 second area starts and loops continuously. But as soon as I click into the waveform to edit it, the playback stops. The mouse button click already stops it, not the release.

Not sure if this is a bug in this version that would force me to switch to another one. I'm just used to these early versions which I am most productive with for what I need. Others (newer ones) also seem to be buggy.

For example Sound Forge Pro 10 has a major bug with the exact workflow that I described above. Loop playback does work while editing the waveform with a pencil in the selected area, but it has a nasty bug where on certain edits with the pencil tool inside the selected area, the same edit is applied to an area of the waveform outside the selection. You might not even notice this if you are fully zoomed into the selected area you are editing in. This causes unnoticed track destruction. Granted SFP10 is old but I wonder if the bug is still there in newer versions. That's why I prefer the ones I'm used to.

rraud wrote on 11/14/2023, 10:36 AM

I do not recall any pencil tool issues with SFP-10.

Some of the pencil tool issues could be caused by Zero crossing snapping, Snapping can be disabled in the 'Options' menu, or a specific snap-to mode.